One time tradable Kronos where buyer must redeem Krono for game time

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by SpamFactory, Mar 8, 2015.

1. SpamFactory Augur

There was some discussion on this in another thread and rather than derail that topic I figured I'd start this in a new thread.

I'm curious to hear people's opinion on a one-time tradable krono. For example, imagine if Kronos worked liked this:

-Player A pays Daybreak 17.99 (or whatever the price is) for a Krono
    -Player B buys Krono from Player A for plat/items.
    -Krono becomes no trade and Player B must redeem the Krono (whenever he or she wants - not necessarily right away). Player B cannot resell the Krono to Player C.

Right now big bazaar players or third party resellers can exercise significant influence over the price of Kronos by buying out other Krono sellers and marking up the price. This contributes to the huge rise in market value of Kronos since they were implemented.

I'm no economist but with this change I would expect Krono prices to drop since the only purchasers would be people using Kronos for the intended purpose (game time) and Kronos would no longer function like an alternate currency with a huge secondary sale market.

Thoughts?
  2. Khat_Nip Meow

If they were to retroactively implement something like this then some people aren't going to be happy with their 60+ years of subscription time in their bags.
    Elricvonclief and Bigstomp like this.
  3. SpamFactory Augur

If they implemented this all existing Krono would be eligible for the one time trade as if they were freshly bought krono from Daybreak. So a player with 60 Krono could still sell his or hers, but anyone who buys a Krono from that player would have to redeem it
  4. Smokezz The Bane Crew

What if I want to buy one, and give it to another char some time down the line?
  5. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

No. You can do this with any item in the bazaar. Not just Krono.

So are you going to make everything in the bazaar redeemable just once?
  6. Mesc No $$$ Until the Experience is put back on Mobs!!!

and by doing this i mean you can corner the market in the bazaar for anything, not just krono
  7. Ferry-Tunare Augur

I tried cornering the market on spider silks a decade ago. Holy crap they really came out of the woodwork once I started buying.
    Elricvonclief and Silv like this.
  8. Knight-errant Journeyman

The intended purpose of the Kronos is to sell to other players for plat. It's a replacement for how people used to sell game card codes a few years ago, with the added benefit that the buyer doesn't have to worry about being scammed.

Put another way, the game time is just what makes the Krono worth plat, it's not the reason for it existing. There are already 2 other ways to pay for game time in the game.

So putting restrictions on it would just make the Krono less valuable, since the market for them is the whole point. Which might benefit you, since yes prices would come down. But wouldn't benfefit Daybreak, or the game, since fewer people would pay the $18 for them.
    moogs, Bigstomp and Ferry-Tunare like this.
  9. Bigstomp Augur

I keep some Krono on hand for my various accounts based on which I feel like occasionally paying for.
    One time tradeable is bad idea.

The resellers are making very little on krono's.
    You can easily get Krono's for the price they pay by setting up a buyer.

And there are plenty of Krono's wandering around the game. I know a fair number of people who were paid multiple krono's just for an ornament.
  10. Aghinem Augur

Bad idea. Enough said.
    Warpeace and Corwyhn Lionheart like this.
  11. Saave Augur

I agree, 3rd party resellers.
    I mentioned this in a thread before about Krono.
  12. Fizzer Journeyman

THAT S DUMB, The krono is one of the FEW ways for DAYBREAK to make money..
  13. Laronk Augur

why would they want to make Krono have less actual value (only can trade once) just so they can make them cost less plat.

While people might corner the market a bit, Krono are a million because theres enough people willing to pay that.
  14. Ferry-Tunare Augur

It's a function of in-game inflation. The value of platinum is tied to the value of a krono. I usually think of 1000pp as $0.01.
  15. Iila Augur

This was a dumb idea when the thread died a couple months ago, it's still dumb. Why would you bump this?
    Bigstomp likes this.
  16. Drogane Journeyman

How about this as a wacky idea/twist on this. Introduce a new item called Krono+ or Perfected Krono (figure out a cool name for it). Make it cost $19.99. The item would work like a normal Krono but would also include a one time option to add 500sc to your account. The buyer pays the premium price for it and can sell it in game at a premium because the buyer can cash in 500sc on it, after which it just reverts back to a normal krono and is tradeable going forward. However only the initial buyer gets the 500sc its not a tradeable feature ad infinitum.
  17. guado Augur

I would love to be able to add Station Daybreak Cash or 30 days of game time when consuming a Krono. The option would be nice.
  18. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Botters raise the price of kronos more then resellers.
  19. Drathus Augur

If a krono is worth 1,000,000 pp, more people are likely to purchase a Krono to trade for that 1,000,000 pp (17.99 for 1,000,000pp). If a Krono is worth 300,000 pp, a person now has to buy three Kronos to get the same amount of pp ($54.00 for 900,000pp). You do realize that the value of Kronos is largely associated with the supply of them right? Rather than paying $54.00 for less than 1 million plat, people decide to purchase their plat via other means, and then all of a sudden the supply entering the market drops and the prices of them increases. There is a great deal more going on than people buying Kronos in /barter for 915K and reselling them in trader for 950k.
  20. Bamkan Augur

DB's problem is that although they sell Krono for $18, 3rd party sites are selling them for as low as $8.

You can also see that the price of platinium has also dropped.
    Effectively this means a Krono from DB should be selling for around 1.6million plat, whereas a krono brought on the black market is around 710k.
    The price of Krono is ~950k which is alot close to 710k than 1.6mil. So this tells us that this black market is having quite a large effect on the price of krono (by actually keeping them lower in terms of plat price).

I think DB is going to have to do something, because they are losing out on a lot of Krono sales. A 1 time trade krono would work, but then realistically the net effect would be that the krono price would rise to around the 1.5mil mark.