Old school player returning..

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Firestar270, Sep 2, 2015.

1. Firestar270 New Member

Played from 1999 (late 1999, didn't get the game at release...was impossible to find)-2002 (quit a few months after PoP's release). Oh man, has this game changed. Brought my wife along, who was a massive EQ2 fan girl who wanted to play the game that brought about her favorite MMO (soon to change, she's already liking many aspects of this game much better).

I did some research, and we decided to hop on the FV server. We liked the idea of community based raid events, and trade-able raid gear, as we just don't have that time for that commitment anymore (found that out playing on that P99 server).

Which brings me to this question. Are there are there any guilds recruiting players still? Or is this game pretty much "the old mans club", so to speak? I noticed in chat that everyone seems to know each other (for the most part). For someone who pretty much only knows the first 3 expansions (and rusty to boot), and a someone who doesn't know the game at all, just some zone names due to EQ2..are there any guilds out there for us? Level 24 Monk and Shaman.

With all of that said, it's been fun so far.

Side note: That defiant gear sure makes old content quite the cake walk. Ha!
  2. Andronicus Elder

I quit at a similar time that you did and came back a couple of years ago. A few months ago I rejoined my old guild and started raiding. I'm not on FV, and I have no idea about that server.

Good luck.:)
  3. Foxxbott Lorekeeper

Welcome back!! Happy to hear your wife came to her senses with that EQ2 business. ;) I tried playing it for a day or two and simply couldn't get into it. Feels like a WoW clone to me.

Anywhoo! There are some guilds that are surely 'old man clubs', but there are quite a few out that love having young, returning players to help out and play with. I would just start asking around in General chat for a nice family guild, I am sure you'll find yourselves a nice home with great people to have fun with. Happy hunting! :)
  4. Firestar270 New Member

Been texting to my wife about what server we should really commit to. There's FV, and we really like the idea's behind that server as I have already stated. Then there's CT/Fennin Ro (my old server). I'm sure this server has normal rules. Meaning raid gear is just that: raid gear. We have no intention on raiding, as we are just too busy for that nowadays.

I got to thinking, however, are the expectations different when grouping. If you can buy raid gear, even if it's at astronomical prices, is it expected when you start hitting those groupable levels? Likewise, I'm sure that expectation isn't there as there are still raid and casual guilds on normal servers, right? Raiders raid, casuals do group content, and the gear reflects that (and I'm sure the content is balanced around these two extremes as well).

It's a fear I have, as I really don't want my wife to have a bad experience with one of my favorite games ever. Am I over thinking this? Or are these thoughts warranted, and we should probably jump ship (Probably to CT/FR) while we are still youngin's.
  5. Foxxbott Lorekeeper

Yes, there are still casual guilds and family guilds on many of the other servers. Quite honestly, a lot of the higher end group gear you can get for trading currency from Heroic Adventure missions is pretty rad!

If you don't plan on being able to raid, Firiona Vie is an excellent option for you. On the other side of the Firiona Vie coin, you may find that simply buying and or being gifted raid gear takes a lot of the satisfaction out of actually earning it. It's also not necessary in groupable content. If you don't plan on raiding, there is a substantial amount of group gear which is awesome and completely attainable.

Perhaps you should hop on your old server and see if you've still got any old friends around playing?? That would be another thing to consider. Over the many years I've come and gone a few times, but when I go back to my old server there's always a friend or two I remember. That, to me, is one of the most awesome things about this game. The friends!!
  6. Kodjak Lorekeeper

Honestly I would recommend trying a normal server really as with FV you only get the ability to have one toon per accnt on that server if I recall correctly. Grats on getting your significant other to play with ya. Gear is gear, if youre not a raider on reg server then no one will expect you to have raid gear but will still group with you. Only thing I ever expect from anyone in a group is that theyre there and that they can pull some kinda weight whatever the class. I've never worried about gear on my buddies. Also, if youre lacking gear that gives your group one more thing to go and do!
    Hit me up on Tunare if ya give it a shot, I'm always happy to help, on Tunare. Been there since 2001
  7. Borek-VS Augur

Nope - you can have more than one character on FV.
  8. Brudal Augur

Limit was removed back in 2010
  9. Kodjak Lorekeeper

well I stand corrected, last time I logged on and made a toon on FV was around 2004. I think hes still in qeynos with a rusty sword... ;)
  10. kraggnar Elder

Knights of infinity on FV is a good guild. They do raid but it's not mandatory so if you have time raid if not just do the group thing. I am currently mostly on TLP lockjaw. If you are a gold account you might want to give it a try. You can actually get real live no merc groups there.
  11. Darkark Augur

You're a bit fixated on raid gear without raiding and I'm worried that you're going to be shelling out big biccies to get it (on FV) when the time comes, so I wanted to point out that raiding is not really the game it was 10+ years ago (also when I used to play before returning).

Open pick-up raids are way more common, where you can just hop in and have a crack with almost no requirements (a lower level limit at the most) and loot is just randomed. Even raiding guilds themselves, you can find fairly casual ones that still get relevant events down.