Obsolete focus effects

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Draego, Mar 1, 2014.

1. Draego Augur

I understand what you're saying.

My idea for the Agro Modifier is this:
    Casters - reduces range of mob assitance
    Meleers (other than tanks) - hate reduction like what was on epics for caster classes
    Tanks - agro range booster (this way when several mobs are pulled at once instead of agro being able to be stolen easily by say a merc healer or nuker grabbing agro at a wrong time, or the ever loving over zealous party member who engages too soon, the agro on pulled mobs stays to the tank)

That is what I mean by modifiers, like I said don't get me wrong I do get your point as well. The original point of the thread was about is whether by auto grant or maxed aas, I still consider it a useless focus effect in the 95 - 100 (heck even as early as level 90, imo) range of the end game content at this point. Either people can claim to have maxxed their aas the old fashioned way or those that take the auto grant for whatever reason - at the end game content the effect seems wasted.
  2. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1. Don't think its possible to code a focus effect to reduce mob agro/assist range
    2. Not all melee's want agro reduction all the time
    3. Not sure what you are getting at, a tank just needs to have the mob in range of his abilities in order to get agro and even if what you suggest is possible it wont do what you think it will.
  3. Draego Augur

4. Draego Augur

Just to point out, there are 16 playable races.... only 3 of those are night-blind (Humans, Erudites and Barbarians)
    Of the remaining races only 2 have ultravision (Darkelves and Frogloks)

So at best the breakdown is 3/16 for those that are night-blind, 2/16 (1/8 in case someone wants to knitpick) for those with ultravision, leaving a grand whopping total 11/16 with good ole infravision - which is still better than night-blindness, unless of course your name is Edrick.
    Obviously not everyone is overly concerned about Faerune for the ultravision component. But then again like I said current neck items have (or are) an innate lightsource effect. So even if Faerune were to be replaced on all end game content helms, the effect would not really be missed; especially when a ton of people claim to either have been maxxed AAs by that point and others will have accepted the Auto Grant, either way it still (in my opinion) becomes a useless Focus Effect after level 90.
  5. Reprisal Augur

Fair enough, Alla's list seems to have led me astray.
    http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/EQ:races

Can't find any infravision listed for Drakkins anywhere though, which would make sense given they're an offshoot of humans.

In any case I think Trajet's right, they're more likely to just remove it than replace it with something (Particularly if it requires code).
  6. Draego Augur

Unfortunate and likely true, though it also gives them a chance to prove us wrong and surprise us.

As to Drakkin, I can personally attest that they do get Infravision (part of that detail being enhanced by Dragon's Blood) as I have 16 of 22 currently (many having been transmogrified to Drakkin) on two accounts, and my wife has another 6 on her account.
  7. Mithrandyr Augur

Innate Lung Capacity 6 is level 68. Innate See Invis is level 70. The first Defiant with Faerune is elaborate at 59. The first see invis/ultravision is Intricate at 48.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

What you are forgetting with your post is that pacify is a spell that modifies the target it lands on and not the caster. What you are asking for is not possible because you need to modify mobs hate range and wearing a focus effect will not do that. Not to mention the fact that tanks won't want an increased agro range to get unintended agro.
  9. Draego Augur

Really ???

Tell me again how the it cannot be a focus effect....... seriously....... just to debunk all you inane arguing and railing let me point out the following existing focus effect that decrease hate.
    Divine Blessing Cleric 2.0
    Silence of Tvish Mage 2.0
    Eternal Eloquence Enchanter 2.0
    Serpent's Silence Druid 2.0
    Reverence of the Heyokah Shaman 2.0
    Sorcerer's Veil of Defiance Wizard 2.0

What was that again ?? It's not possible ?? That's of list of 6 exisiting focus effects that prove you wrong.

Now to address the issue for Tank classes, while you personally may not want to have your tank be able to hold a larger AE Agro range I would love it on all of my tanks, 2 Pallies, 2 Shadowknights and 1 Warrior. Heck give me a helm with an effect like this Rage of the Dragorn or Echoing Anger where the Agro modifier is set to be an AE around the wearer and I am happy.

Now if you don't have anything constructive to add, please by all means don't bother replying.
  10. Waring_McMarrin Augur

You are linking focus effects that lower hate when casting a spell just like spell casting subtlety and not a agro range modifier and tanks already get items to increase the amount of hate they generate.

The spell you mentioned in your earlier post "Pacify" is something that modifies the mob which it is cast on which means it can't work as a focus effect.
  11. Draego Augur

Saying something cannot be done without offering any reasoning whatsoever to support the claim falls on deaf ears.

I think it is highly possible for SOE to combine the concept of Pacify type spells, with the Focus effects listed above.

All Pacification type/styled spells work off the premise of reducing the Reaction Radius of mobs in proximity to one another. The Focus Effects listed above (for the caster types) work by lowering the Hate factor.

Spell casting subtlety operates on the premise of
    which does not necessarily equate to
    therefore SCS was a poor example on your part, in comparisson to what was said.

As to the focus effects mentioned as a generalized idea for tanks, you obviously overlooked I said in AE form. The current focus effects appear to only work on the tanks current target, not as an AE effect, by everything I have observed.
  12. Jyve Augur

This sort of stuff was something Bards asked for years ago. If I recall (and it's been many a year since), it was something to do with lulls being flagged as Beneficial and not detrimental, so it's /kinda/ like a buff effect, and thus using the mob as the focus. All these other hate reducing focii are working on the detrimental like things, and thus are starting from the caster and using that as the base of the focus target.
    Either way, this'd be some tricksy low level changes with lots of knock on effects to figure out how to change something like that, and it'd have impacts all over the place in odd ways.
    But would be great to have that sort of focus effect, more meta control of hate, with chanters able to 'hint' what mobs should be doing as well as the tanks brute forcing the issue.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

1. Pacification type of spells work as a buff that modifies how the mob acts and can't be made into a focus effect that will do the same. Once you cast on the mob or agro it in another fashion it is pointless to try and reduce its agro/assist range as it and possible friends are already agro.

2. Spell Casting Subtly and the hate reduction on the epic are both tools to reduce agro generated by casting spells so it is a valid compassion.

3. Hate focus effects do work on AE spells so the hate focus that tanks get will work on the ae effects also.
  14. Zheros Lorekeeper

I don't see what all your whining is about Waring, if you don't like the ideas put forward say it and leave it at that. Personally, I like the ideas that have been suggested, so I would like to see something like them in game, and apparently so would others. So for the love of EQ stop griefing the thread, my ignored user list is already too long as is.

Personally I would like to see a better Healing focus for the SK class, but maybe you want to shoot that idea down too. I do seem to recall the game being called EverQuest and not McMarrinQuest.

Playing a tanking class that has multiple ways of AE agroing and being able to see the hate meters on the Extended Target window, I can tell you, that you are completely wrong on this statement. The only mobs that ever drastically increase in hate when I use AE hate measures on my SK are the ones directly targeted, the overall AE hate generation effect is not very noticable.