Oakwynd is Launching Soon!

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by Accendo, May 10, 2023.

1. Doze Augur

As long as the Legacy bonuses aren't permanent then I fail to see how that would be the case.
  2. Yanandan New Member

Don't worry everyone. Just imagine Hadden being permanently charmed in hidden locations. Or other such shenanigans with FTE.
  3. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

If you kept the bonus for reaching max once on a character, would you have any reason to ever play that character again? If you kept the bonus for each time you reach max, you would quickly have the maximum bonus even with only a few characters and then would likely complain that there is no reason to level any.
  4. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Just to add to this, the server bonuses you keep, you just gain bigger bonuses as the expansions unlock.
  5. kliqIMB Elder

This is why I originally supported an expansion-by-expansion degradation of Legacy Character bonuses. Having to hit max level with multiple characters every few months for a bonus that only applies to each subsequent character that you play isn't an enticing value proposition, IMO. However, by having the maximum obtainable bonus apply to your main for the subsequent expansion, it incentivizes not only playing each subsequent character (so that you're getting more bonuses for your main on the next expansion), but also incentivizes keeping those characters current as well since you'll lose the bonus to your main.
  6. Doze Augur

Yeah, the system needs to be reworked and expanded upon to achieve the longevity you imagine that will bring.
    I made a list of suggestions to how it could be done in the thread:
    "Legacy character system is underutilized".
  7. VicFollower New Member

Actually you're 100% wrong. Unlike most of the people on here I have been playing on test EXTENSIVELY and I've tried to hold Bergurgle as a hostage, after a set amount of time they just poof and go back home. So stop spreading false information.

Also all you would have to do (if you didnt want to wait) is buff or heal the person holding the hostage and the lock becomes a semi-lock where you or the other person could kill it.
    Rijacki likes this.
  8. Sakuraba Augur

That's sort of what I'm hoping the angle is, yeah. Back when it launched that's what I thought about the bonuses and I have been pretty consistent on that -- hope it works how the players and the devs want, honestly lol. Would be nice to have a healthy group game for longer than a year-ish again.

There is an extremely vocal minority on these forums, as is true in any community, who will never be happy unless they get exactly what they want, tailormade to their personal individual benefit.

All servers are bound to have their flaws, personally the rules are okay for most and many who are looking to just relax and enjoy the early experience, or hopefully a prolonged group experience, will most likely join day 1. There will be trolls...but that, too, is inevitable lol.

If it sounds fun to you, give it a go and ignore the bitter folk XD
    Rijacki likes this.
  9. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

There has been a strong enough response to the recruitment for When Nature Calls, that I think there are a lot of us who have that same opinion.
  10. Doze Augur

Are you saying that on top of the FTE mechanics then they also shadow nerfed Charm?
  11. Larsen Augur

"A sense of entitlement?" That's ridiculous. It's a fixed, established schedule. There's a Super Bowl every year. If they suddenly decided not to have that event one year, would those who complain about that be 'entitled'? No, it would be a very justified complaint. The term 'entitlement' implies that it's unreasonable and greedy to expect it. It doesn't apply to TLPs where paying customers are promised a product every year, so under no conceivable circumstances is it entitlement to expect it.

It is self-evidently the case that most players aren't inerested in playing past Planes of Power. Aside from the outlier that is Mischief, where people stayed for the unique ruleset, players start to jump ship in growing numbers once the server reaches the end of PoP. They prefer to start over with nothing on the next TLP rather than continue playing the characters they've worked on for a year. That's concrete evidence of what parts of Everquest are more popular.

Forcing people to do something they don't prefer by taking away the thing that they prefer isn't a good business strategy. If I prefer Coke over Pepsi and you want me to drink more Pepsi, accomplishing that by taking away the option to drink Coke doesn't magically make me enjoy Pepsi more. It just means I have to settle for less. What's the point in that, other than satisfying your desire to have me drink more Pepsi?

There isn't something inherently valuable in getting people to stay on the same server for longer. That isn't objectively better than starting over on the next server. That's just your own personal wish for a server where people don't get bored of EQ at a certain point. That is, essentially, you asking DPG to do something that you know most people don't want, just because you want it. That's actually the textbook definition of entitlement.

For all intents and purposes, the TLP model is the same thing as ladder resets in Diablo, new leagues in Path of Exile, and whatever other games feature a similar concept of regularly scheduled resets. And in all of these games, the vast majority of players prefer a fresh start over staying in the same old. It's a gaming model that works and has merit. There's value in the journey from rags to riches, and there's a point in every game where things get stale enough that players would rather experience that journey over again than just keep going with a character that already feels finished.
  12. Kazzuk Elder

All that means is you scored a memblur and he was far enough away or had no path so he ported home.

Your second point is valid, it is super easy to steal a lock.
  13. VicFollower New Member

What memblur I was a cleric just standing there letting him attack me endlessly and then he gave up and popped home.
  14. Sothwick80 New Member

Happy New Server Day !!!
    Grab your rusty weapon, put on your torn shirt, throw on that dusty robe, read up on "Fire for Dummies" and join your fellow lowbies in Norrath, in 3 hours!! Kill a snake, kill a guard, kill a God, kill everything you want for phat lewt and bragging rights.
    Super Excited
    Rijacki likes this.
  15. Rooksmirk Journeyman

You have been slain by a moss snake !
    Loading please wait ! Returning to bind point .You have lost a level !
    Welcome to level 0.
    Sothwick80 likes this.
  16. Rijacki Just a rare RPer on FV and Oakwynd

'cept you don't lose XP on death until level 6 :)
    Rooksmirk likes this.
  17. Sakuraba Augur

Oakwynd has launched and the queue is plonkers.
  18. Doze Augur

Your original response was to someone talking about charming the named mobs and holding them ransom that way.
    And now you are admitting you were not even using a class that is able to do that?!
    Lol - relevance and credibility zero ...
  19. kenmei Augur

prime example of what happens to the cult mind.
    the company you are describing is not the company who makes everquest.
    everquest has a saying 'you're in our world now' and that means, you're on their schedules, whenever that is. 'soon*' was not created by WoW.
    just because we had a good run of a yearly tlp (when there were 3-4), doesnt mean its always going to happen. you clearly do not know EQ or it's historical apathy to its players since EQPlayers shut its doors. (rumor has it SOE was tired of EQ players making them the #1 hated company worldwide over EA every year, so they sold EQ)
    none of what you describe is describing EQ. TLP was an experiment not a league/tourny, and is most likely still considered an experiment. Oakwynd for example is a paid test server.
    when you speak of entitlement, do you mean you are entitled to your own definitions and facts, in order to fight the entitled? arent you inflicting self-harm at this point?