'nother returning player

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Caradoc, Dec 16, 2014.

1. Caradoc New Member

Aloha, I'm joining the returning crowd and have some questions. I don't want to heroic it, so I'm levelling an enchanter the long way. I just finished the tutorial, level 10, and am now kind of at a loss what to do. I saw another thread on this page about some PoK quests, so I'll do them, but:
    --General--
    Where should I be going?
    Should I do armor quests in CR?
    What else other than grind (group if can) after that?
    How do you earn enough to pay the Merc? I have a J1 and it looks like it costs 5 gold every 15 minutes?
    How do you make money at lower levels to try and catch up to the inflated bazaar?
    What are the Merc quests, where and when?
    --Enchanter--
    Don't have charm yet but will soon. Are pets at this level nerfed too? Do they take exp, or require me to at least do 1 damage?
    It seems with the durations of buffs and charms compared to mana pool reverse charming might be too heavy to maintain, so I was thinking straight pet charm with wiz merc on burn? Or will it be more efficient with tank?
    If I use tank should I charm or use animation?
    I was planning on going through old content (Vanilla/Kunark) should this be viable?
    I forget what items were good back then (like FBSS) what should I be looking for ?
  2. Crystilla Augur

Look into the hero's journey - to get to it you can type /ach (short for achievement) and then click down through the + tabs to find the level range you're at and the quest people. This gives you gear and other rewards when you complete each set of quests as well as you'll be able to kill mobs and loot along the way. On occasion you will want to stop and pick up spells but you won't need every spell for every level and you can mostly get to level 50's before you start outpacing the leveling versus the quests you're on; 50+ is where the quests start to become more difficult (a little) or more time consuming to do but hopefully by then you have a sense of the game.

Old content you can do but you won't run into anyone there and it will definitely be very boring for you (unless that's what you really want I wouldn't recommend going for it).
  3. Caradoc New Member

Well, I definitely want to see much of the old content, it was a big reason for coming back. But I also don't even know what the new content even is, other than being plopped into CR, so I wouldn't even know where to go.
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Your mercenary should help you kill fast enough that it more than pays for itself. I'm sure a guildmate can spare a few plat if you're really stuck.

Since you aren't grouping, and you are likely going to be wearing gear that is far beyond what low level content was originally meant for, and your mercenary is unbelievably powerful, you're not going to be learning the nitty-gritty of how to play in a group as an Enchanter at low level. You may as well go Heroic. Some modern zones are retro remakes of old zones, so you will still get a bit of nostalgia even at high level.

I suggest doing as much as possible within the Tutorial, and then doing Hero's Journey. Try to find a guild using /LFGuild and try hard to get groups. If your guild doesn't group at your level at your play times, I suggest finding another guild, possibly on another server.

Good luck, and don't be afraid to ask questions. You've selected what is probably the most diverse, and hardest to play class in the game. It sure is worth it in the end though!
  5. Random_Enchanter Augur

really depends on your level and if yoru using a merc or not. typicaly looking into where the current hotzone is and leveing there for your level range is good. if thats to slow or you facerolling content, go to the next hotzone. with a tank merc you can do the next hotzone for your level range fairly easy. Untill you can get them (lv 25 i think?) cresent reach or the zone right outside of cresent reach should work.
    if you feal like it, you should be leveling fairly fast and gear will be dramaticaly reduced in usefullness as you level up
    Quest, play around with your spells/skills, or raid. generaly work on your char or start another
    most zones will have plenty of money droping to sustain you on this. Before Gate of discordmight not though
    become Higher level, buy and resell or tradeskills with small profit margin
    merc quests are from SoD ( i think?) and allow you to get journyman mercs. only the lv 85 quest for the jourynman 5 rank merc is worth doing. this can be started at lv 80-85 (i think?) and can be done in ferrot the dream or some other zone that is longer and more tedious.

Charmed Pets are nerfed based upon the expantion the zone was put in at. Anything gates of discord and before will not be 'nerfed' anything after will be. Pets take exp as do mercs but do not require you to do damage to the mob, though you may want to.
    untill level 60 or so tank mercs are truly over powered and should be used. if you want to use a charmed pet go for it and i would not reccomend reverse charming untill there is a drastic difference if charmed mob DPS vs normal mob dps (lv 80 ish i think?)
    either works but the animation requires you to be hit inorder for it to do anything.
    Viable? yes you can go and level up in old content and get suffecant level ups but it will only be viable untill ~40 or so
    best way to find this out is to check the barter system, though most low level obtainable items dont sell for beans nowadays, useful tradeskill items will prolly be the ideal thing you can find.

a few useful tips
    - in the tutorial, dont leave untill you fill yoru inventory with bags, more you can carry the longer you can go without a vendor pitstop to sell your loot to make money.
    - /barter can be used to sell items to people from anywhere. this may be limited to if your a gold member only though
  6. Venjenz_vox Venjenz_bertoxx

The inflated Bazaar is based in large part on krono's. Sell one of those at the going rate of about 900k plat and you're money issues are solved for a good long while.
    Depends on your playstyle. I have swapped mine out a couple times, trying to get a feel for stuff, and probably the best DPS would be charm moloing and a DPS caster merc. For easy, relaxing, no worries leveling, the jmerc tank + mezz on adds is about as easy as it gets.
    Charm. More dps, and with memblur and root (now that I remembered to get both) plus the tank's taunting, it's as safe as it's ever been for enchanters.
    Until level 85, use whatever defiant cloth is right for your level. Even just a few pieces of level appropriate defiant is better than anything you'll recall from back in the day. My new necro at 61 has maybe 2/3 of the slots with any gear at all, and is vastly superior stat-wise to my old 71 necro. Point being, even if the bazaar is low on defiant items for sale...no worries, it doesn't matter much.

Plus, you're an enchanter...gear is for decoration and twinking the mana/HP pool.

IMHO, YMMV.