/note

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lily, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Lily Augur

When using the in-game notepad (/note), where is that information stored? I know it's on my computer because it's the same no matter which account I'm on.
  2. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

It's definitely server side. I was joking around with my buddy the other day I still had my House of Thule wish list saved in game. That computer I played on back then is quite dead.
  3. Khat_Nip Meow

In file notes.txt in the root directory of your EverQuest installation.
  4. Lily Augur

Thank you much.
  5. Zunnoab Augur

It's also limited to 10KB or some such too, and if I recall it will not tell you when it's full if you /note something and it can't add it. I periodically copy the notes file and delete stuff I don't currently need from the original to make sure that does not happen.
  6. junglenights Augur

I've used it for all sorts of things, including information about a quest or list of tasks for a larger quest (quest augs, epics, etc).

/note is one of my favorite features in EQ. It's so surprising that something so simple is so hard to find elsewhere in other games. It's easier to "/note blah blah" than it's to alt-tab and open notepad and then save.

/note helps make up for the game. Games aren't perfect. Many games try to auto-record everything you might NEED to record. The problem is they often miss stuff that you may WANT (or only slightly need) to record.

I've often wished I could attach notes to items like "/note Don't loot, it's only worth 5 copper."

/note leaves some things to be desired. As the above poster states, /note has an upper limit on its size and you have to manually correct it - requires some file explorer knowledge. It would be even better if it had easy access to multiple notes files.

There's a certain charm to using /note and doing your own accounting of things. I may be unique in this, but I think it would be interesting if we could edit all item descriptions and all text in quests or tasks.
  7. Lily Augur

Back during TSS expansion, I was doing the charm/aug quests on several toons. /note was the only way I could keep track of who did what.
  8. Khoza Augur

I loved it when keeping track of who looted what in a raid. Other officers would miss loots while writing things down, get spellings wrong, (which went badly with the system we used that linked to Allas automatically.) or not know the name of an item. They /facepalmed when I told them to just type /note [item link] [looter name] [points spent]. Correct spelling, every time, and you don't have to type it out.

Now, if only they would let us link to notes.txt from the storyline window. (I've tried, but I could never get it to read anything that was above the storyline directory.) That's another great feature, being able to add your own guides or long-term notes to the storyline window. Has saved me much headache over the years.