Nostalgia - Tell stories

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Niskin, May 19, 2017.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

That should say Nostalgia P*rn. Title got censored.

People are talking about how you can't go back to when we didn't know anything. They are right, but that reminded me of when I didn't know anything. This was my favorite dumb*ss story from the early days.

A month or so into playing the game, I found myself in Qeynos Hills with some friends. They had just started playing, I'd been playing for a few weeks as a Paladin, but hadn't learned anything about spells yet. Having switched from the Paladin to a Druid I was just starting to learn about them. My friends were a Mage and a Ranger.

So we're level 8/9ish and we notice this thing in the spell book called Meditate. We click it, it flashes and resets. Doesn't seem to do anything... or does it?! So in between fighting diseased bears, we're sitting there clicking the button. Over and over again, clicking the Meditate button. Saying things like "I think it's helping me get mana back faster." Confirming each others delusions.

Later that day, upon returning to Qeynos/Surefall, we noticed the Meditate skill on our trainers. Trained the skill, and the next time we hit the book it was like "oh... OH! You dumb*ss!" The Mage felt the dumbest, because he could have had the skill at level 4. Mana moved a lot faster after that. :D

Tell your nostalgia stories. No screw up is too dumb!
    Dandy and Kinlin like this.
  2. Kinlin Lorekeeper

not so much a screw up but orc hill is to this day my favorite nostalgia camp. I remember the day I was finally able to solo orcs there and then I got strong enough to clear a couple tents. I felt like such a badass ranger. Next place I went to was crushbone and proceeded to get my handed to me over and over. Great memories
    Dandy likes this.
  3. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

Riding a boat from qeynos to kerra island, getting disconnected.

Showing up at the docks with the rusty sword in my hand and seeing the one on the docks i left before boarding the boat. Laughing as I just learned that you can drop coins.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

In 1999 I was 13 years old when my cousin showed me EQ. I watched him play for a bit, then he told me I could roll a character on his account. He went to watch TV and left me to figure things out. The only advice he gave me that I actually retained was to right click consider mobs before attacking, and I remembered red would kill me for sure. I rolled a troll and ran around Grobb for legitimately over an hour just considering every NPC, guard, vendor, etc. All red! There's nothing I can kill here at all! I complained to my cousin but he was not sympathetic. Finally by a stroke of dumb luck I wandered to the swamp zone line, and got LOADING, PLEASE WAIT... for a good 3-4 minutes since #dialup. I yelled to my cousin "why does it say loading, please wait?" He didn't even look up from the TV and just said "congrats, you zoned, I knew you could do it." Tough love man.
  5. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Getting whacked by Holly Windstalker.
  6. Arrk Augur

Jumping in the well in level 1 Befallen.... at level 11
  7. Gemini Syringes Augur

A couple of days into the game, I was in Qeynos near the fountain. There was a fletching NPC there, but he was moving around and I was not yet sure who was a real character and who wasn't. I asked him some questions and he didn't respond. I got pretty frustrated and sorta gave him some for not being helpful. A friend of mine finally helped me to tell the difference between NPCs and PCs. I can't even use the "very young" excuse. I was 22. lol

The first experience I had in game was moving from SFG to Qeynos hills. I wandered out and was killed by something--probably a skelly and since I died "in the middle of nowhere", I just gave up and made a new character. In hindsight, I was probably 100 yards from the SFG zoneline.
    Dandy likes this.
  8. skkoris New Member

Used to be in a guild back in the day on seventh hammer called Venom Brood. it was exclusively iksar which i found fantastic :) short but sweet
    Dandy likes this.
  9. Syllestrae Elder

I wandered into the tunnel to surefall glade and was so blind as a human that it took me like 15 minutes of random arrow pushing to get out.

I remember filing a bug report because you could buy spiderling silk off an npc, turn it in for a quest, and make like 1 silver profit each time. I thought it was a massive exploit at the time.
    Dandy likes this.
  10. Rouan Augur

Sometime in 2001 after getting my Trueshot Longbow at 17 (I was really into buying/selling in the EC Tunnel, by 22 I had Mithril Vambs, Legs, and BP, and a Wurmslayer) I claimed to some druids as long as I had SoW I could kill Proon in EK. Druids find this amusing so they port me out to NK, we zone over to EK and I proceed to run around plinking Proon for 30 minutes. I ran through so many arrows that I was crafting them as I fought and had to buy new supplies from the vendor as I was kiting.

Eventually the druids just had me tank and spank him with DS on since it was clear I was gonna kill him, it was just gonna be another 15 mins. But that's how I demonstrated archery damage was kinda broken and ignored levels/AC to an extent.
    Dandy likes this.
  11. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Got to about level 5 on a bard and someone handed me a fine steel short sword and a wooden shield. I wasn't really enjoying the class and I wanted to try a paladin instead. Got someone to hold my gear for me at the Freeport gate while I created a new character. I proceeded to camp out to server select and went to a different server with my new Paladin then believed that I had been scammed for quite a while.

Same new paladin, saw a shiny silver coin on the ground in Freeport and followed it, found another silver coin, then another, then another, then another, then I fell into a pit, then a high level player killed me. I had been lured into the Freeport arena. Basically this guy but with silver.

Months later I had accrued a nice set of banded/bronze armor, a couple Langseaxs, and some spiffy new twink jewelry. Wanted to make a halfling warrior so I went to Rivervale and nobody was around. I camped out my new level 1 halfling warrior inside the Inn next to the Priest of Discord and then logged back over and proceeded to drop my new twink set for him on the ground in that spot. As I log back into my new halfling warrior I see an NPC spamming the following phrase:
    "Nillipuss says, 'Look what I've found! What a great find! It used to be yours, but now it is mine!'"

My mom was not happy about the hole in the wall from that. I've also gone out of my way to make sure that NPC dies whenever I'm in the zone and have the ability to kill it.
    Ishbu likes this.
  12. Raltar Augur

Back when I first started playing(early 2000), I was really into DnD(Advanced Dungeons and Dragons, to be precise). So, anyway, there I was running around in the Commonlands when I saw an elf paladin. And for whatever reason, I thought he was cheating because only humans could be paladins in DnD(this has since changed, of course). So I petitioned a GM and told him that there was a guy out there cheating by being an elf paladin. Had a pretty embarrassing conversation with a GM a little while later.
  13. Atrebe New Member

Lol these are great.

My favorite one was when my best friend and I just started playing EQ, we both rolled Wood Elves of the same class. As I zoned into Kelethin for the first time, I notice a weird halo effect of skin coloured pixels around my screen, as well as weird half-eyeballs and hair. I couldn't really see anything in the game except for these weird colours and shapes, so I called up my friend. Sure enough, he's having the same issue on his end. Was our game bugged? Did we need new video card drivers? It took us a few minutes before one of us moved our character forward and we realized that what we were seeing was the inside of each other's heads because we had spawned on top of one another. Pretty sure we both fell to our deaths in the forest immediately afterwards.
  14. Armain New Member

I made it into west karana as a ranger. I guess I was level 6 or 7, not sure as it was long ago. Anyway I ran around for a while and then I saw some people and decided to stop and talk. It happened to be Chief Goonda.

He was not impressed and killed me quick. I died a few more times trying to get my corpse. Luckily I had a druid friend and he cast invis and went and pulled my corpse away so I could get my stuff back. I had never seen anyone invis before. I was so impressed and thankful to have my things returned.
  15. Rainhall New Member

Kept trying to chat with NPCs by just typing, rather than hitting <enter> to open chat bar first. Would inevitably type a word with an "a" in it. That key was mapped, by default, to autoattack.
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Great stuff, and plenty to laugh at.

I remember very early on, I drowned in the pool of water right outside the bank in Qeynos. I had been moving by keyboard and didn't know about looking up or down with the mouse or the page up/down keys yet. Fell in the water trying to cross the bridge, because I couldn't look down to see clearly, and swam around, slowly sinking until I died. Had to ooc to the zone to find out how to look up and down so I could go back in for my corpse.
  17. HellHound989 Journeyman

Always this!!! I cant count how many times I, as a young Human Monk back in 2000, died to my Grand Master trainer in Freeport when trying to do the headband quests because I forgot to hit <ENTER> before typing.

But my true newbie story: It was October 1999, and I would go to my GF's house (who ended up becoming my wife and then ex-wife... but thats another story), where her cousin got EQ. I remember rolling a Wizard as my first character, and her cousin explained the concept of 'con'ing a mob to fight, and then getting completely lost navigating around Freeport. Couldnt find anything to kill.

After an hour I found a_large_rat patrolling through the city, and thinking "Finally, something I can fight!". Me and the rat commenced battle, and at the time, I thought I had to press "A" repeatedly for each swing of my dagger to hit it. Instead, I was constantly turning off and on my auto-attack.

I died to that rat, and since I didnt know where I had died at, said screw it, and deleted that character and rolled a Magician instead.

2nd newbie story: I think I got my Magician to level 9 or 10 over the course of a couple weeks playing, all in NRo. I remember getting these Elementalkin: Fire or Elementalkin: Earth spells, didnt know what they did, but tried to cast them and getting a message about not having "..malachite" or something. Thought it was some error message.

Someone was kind enough to take pity on me and to explain to me the concepts of reagents. I had been playing as a 2nd class wizard the entire time before that
  18. Rovell Elder

I used to play Quakeworld Team Fortress back in the day and I ran a clan named Irremediabilis (r3m) that participated in TF ladders and what not. One of my members had started missing matches because he was playing this new game called EverQuest. For a couple of months at launch he would ask me to just give it a try and that he was sure I would like it.

3 months later, I gave it and went out and got the game. He was playing a lvl 16 Wood Elf druid on the Prexus server so I created a Dark Elf Wizard. After about 30 minutes, I couldn't figure out how to get out of Neriak so I deleted the toon and recreated a High Elf Wizard. My buddy hooked me up with cloth gear and a Skull of Jhen'tra, I was well on my way now... He helped me get level 4 and then had to leave. I kept playing for a while, got level 5. It was REALLY dark at night (or my screen had terrible gamma) and I couldn't see anything and two Orc Centurions attacked me. I thought I was running towards Felwithe to reach the guards but I was closer to Kelethin it turned out. Anyhow, I ended up dying before I got to the guards at one of the lifts and decided to take a break to go have dinner. When I got back, about 35-40 minutes later, my corpse was nowhere to be found and the gear I was "twinked" with had all rotted... My buddy was so pissed lol...

I ended up deleting the Wizard because I thought it was too squishy and made a Dwarf Warrior by the name of Eleet Soss (gotta love that name inspired from my TF quaking days...).

To this day, the music in Kelethin is extremely nostalgic. Most toons I create, even today, level up in Greater Faydark for the first few levels.
  19. MaestroM Augur

I'm sure we've all seen these but... the feels.

And more feels.

Less feels, more fun