Newest GPU could add lag to EQ.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Strawberry, Sep 22, 2022.

1. Strawberry Augur

Very doubtful that no one would do that.

There are plenty of games with raytracing that bring current 3080 to their knees. Battlefield, Forza, Shadow of the Tomb Raider etc. They all bring these GPU down to 40-50fps @4k when you turn on raytracing. At 8k these GPU can barely manage 20fps with RTX.

Same will happen with upcoming titles and 4080. Plenty of titles will bring them to their knees the moment you turn on raytracing.

If the goal is pure fps, e-sports for example, you play at 1080p and the first thing you do is turn off all DLSS to ensure you remove any latency. CPU often matters more at extremely high fps.
  2. Strawberry Augur

And here we go, I knew something was off and didn't make sense.

Someone found the small print. Nvidia was using DLSS 3.0 to generate fake frames on the new GPU to inflate the FPS.

[IMG]
  3. error Augur

Hardware doesn't need to provide DX9 support, Microsoft provides an official mapping layer, D3D9On12. There's also 3rd party mappers like dxvk and dgVoodoo. So DX9 games like EQ are probably safe for the immediate future, at least as long as modern graphics APIs are supported.

Not saying that EQ wouldn't massively benefit from an engine upgrade, but I wouldn't hold my breath for one and it's not going to be the death of EQ anytime soon if they don't.
  4. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I remember playing around with an old opengl-to-direct3d-wrapper a long time ago, back when I had a GPU with lousy opengl support. That wrapper added quite severe latency, and was generally unplayable.

Maybe they are better at making well performing mapping layers now, but it should be a last resort and a wakeup call to DBG. A new GPU that depends on additional mapping layers will likely be a downgrade in performance compared to current gen.

I don't know what "SER" is either, do you have a link/article I can read? :)

edit: Found it: "Shader Execution Reordering" https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/rtx-40-series-graphics-cards-announcements/

Seems like a fix for branching at the shader level, highly parallel architectures often have problems with branching(GPU cores are "bundled" together in groups and can't branch independently)...Cores working in "sync" are easier to parallelize...and rays bouncing around in the scene are difficult to "synchronize"...

Rasterized neighbor-pixels being in the same polygon, doesn't need individual branching, rays bouncing off irregular reflective surfaces do need it...
    Nennius likes this.
  5. error Augur

Nah, if there's any problem it's usually just edge case graphical errors. People are already playing EQ on Linux via wine without any real performance issues, which I believe uses dxvk. Also heard of players on P99 using dgVoodoo. It's pretty much invisible to the end user.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure if comparing P99 to the official version is accurate as there are a lot of changes over the year the the official version has that P99 does not that have contributed a lot to lag.
  7. Jumbur Improved Familiar

P99 uses the Titanium Client. I think that client uses dx8. Im not sure though.
  8. Laronk Augur

If it looks more pretty thats all a lot of people care about. Also even if dlss 3.0 does introduce a tiny bit of input lag. DLSS 2.2 supposdly even reduces input lag https://raiseyourskillz.com/should-...p Learning,games that support this technology.

Really though even if input lag is slightly increased to use your example of microsoft flight sim, it wouldn't matter there. Even in more competitive games the input lag wouldn't make a real difference to most players. As far as everquest, people mash buttons here and DLSS will never be implemented for everquest anyways.

Honestly, anyone playing a competitive game on any kind of competitive level is going to turn off junk like ray tracing and if dlss3.0 is going to hurt your latency enough where it matters all the "settings guides" are going to tell you whether or not to use it for that particular game.

Wait till the cards are available and they've been tested properly and they've been patched/updated and it will all be fine. If it's not fine at that point don't buy one. Get a 30 series card, already have a 30 series card? You probably don't need to upgrade.

Even if everquest added DLSS3.0 support and lol lets say ray tracing and I guess a graphics engine that could challenge a 40 series card to get us down to your example of 30fps before DLSS kicks in. That kind of input lag most likely would not noticeably effect your Everquest experience with the way everquest is actually played.

This could effect shooters where time to kill can be like 150ms, really though most gamers wont even notice any latency when you include the effect the nividia reflex boost stuff.

If you're right and there's infact 16 miliseconds of latency input at 60 frames, it will be all over all the reviewers websites people are not going to miss that. Right now all you see is speculation and clickbait titles.
    Svann2 likes this.
  9. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

RTX 4090 reviews are up.

Now we don't have to speculate.
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

So, what I am getting is: (tech talk) Don't really spend $1600 if you are playing EQ (more tech talk, and DLSS 3 is still in alpha/beta).
  11. Nennius Curmudgeon

And to put it very simply, for $1600.00 you can get an entire system that will run EQ REALLY well. That card is gross overkill for a game like EQ.
    Sissruukk likes this.
  12. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Well, in context, $1600 is for top-tier consumer computer parts. Anyone buying top-tier gear the day it releases likely isn't super-concerned about the value statement.
  13. Svann2 The Magnificent

Not so much for EQ or older games but several reviews say the 4090 is unbelievably good for newer games.
  14. Zunnoab Augur

It better be for that price.