newbie monk's question about weapons

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Abandoned Vince, Mar 28, 2014.

1. Abandoned Vince New Member

I'm a totally newbie monk, and I find it's confusing while choosing my weapons. here are my questions:
    1, I know there's a pretty good dmg/delay if I simplly use bare fists. If my bare fist's dmg/delay is 10/20, and I use a H2H weapon like 9/20, will it worsen my performance?
    2, I know the bare fist's dmg/delay will grow with H2H skill level. Will the dmg/delay of a H2H weapon grow with the skill level too? like the epic fist?
    3, among the 3 types of weapons we can use, is there any preference between the types? I think maybe H2H is somewhere different with 1HB and 2HB, because the dmg/delay of the later 2 will not change with the skill level.
    4, since everyone's talking about the importance of the weight, I don't understand how will the weight affect monk's performance if I'm not overweighted (like 200/255). And if there's any effect, is it the weight of the weapon or the total weight of the character (all equipmented things and package weight together)?

Sincerely thanks for any kind reply :)
  2. Yther Augur

1: Yes it will worsen to use lesser dmg/dly ratio
    2: Sort of. Epic is special see the H2H ratio table and info at https://forums.station.sony.com/eq/index.php?threads/monk-weapons.201042/#post-2969746 - H2H Weapons are whatever dmg/dly ratio they report in the inspection window (right-click on an item window)
    3: Varies by level, H2H skill and availability, but in general, twinkish weapons (all 3 types) will be better than bare fists, but compared to defiant, bare fists will probably be better from the get go, just slow to start with. By 30s-low 60s bare fists will rule. At 65, epic 1.5 and other Secrets of Faydwer expansion weapons will be better ratio.
    4: Monks have a much lower wt limit that varies by level, and decreases the Avoidance portion of your AC rating. It's not too bad for a few stones, but 40+ at low level, where the limit is 14 will make you not able to avoid damage by alot. Higher levels, you can go more. This only really matter though if you're tanking or getting swung at alot. If you're just DPS, it doesn't really matter too much.

See http://www.monkly-business.net/index.php?pageid=abilities wt limit and other monkly abilities by level.

Yther Ore.
  3. Abandoned Vince New Member

thank you Yther, really helps a lot:)
  4. Khoza Augur

Largely, hand to hand weapons, from the same content and tier, will have a ratio advantage and a lower delay. (This is not ALWAYS true, you should look at ratios.)

Later in life, you'll find a few AAs tip the balance. Fists of Steel and Punch Mastery AA lines boost your hand to hand damage, and Fists of Steel adds a proc worth having to ALL weapon types. Later still, Disciple of the Tonfa AAs will balance things out so that 1hb is viable again.

Staff Block makes your 2hb a superior defensive choice. For many many levels, it will still be less DPS, though. Disciple of the Tonfa, Way of the Katori, and the new monk 2hb weapons (Disciple's Dragonstaff, for instance) will make 2hb not only a defensive option, but also viable as DPS.
  5. Abandoned Vince New Member

Thanks Khoza, really helpful:)
  6. Kicaz New Member

i thought that fist of steel didnt proc with 1hb. when did they change that?
  7. Khoza Augur

I can't actually find patch notes for it, but I see posts from Feb 2013 saying that it doesn't, and posts in Oct 2013 which indicate the change had taken place. I'd guess later in that time frame.
  8. Quatr Augur

Another thing to keep in mind, especially at lower levels, is that decreased defensive capabilities don't matter as long as your merc can out-heal the incoming damage without going out of mana :)