New Spell Particles

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by kamikazeheart, Nov 17, 2016.

1. kamikazeheart Elder

So was it ever mentioned anywhere that we were getting new spell particles with the latest expansion update? Regardless, I must say, I'm not really a fan of the changes. While I do like some spell effects have been cleaned up and some particles have been resized, I do not like how quickly they dissipate. Seeing someone hold the spell particles while casting was an important visual cue. It helped to not only identify that the person was still casting (and not interrupted) but also let you know what spell they were casting (important for heals). While we're on the subject of heals, those new effects definitely got the short end and I think the new heal spell particles are a big step backwards in appearance. They look very dated compared to the previous iteration, especially the Light line. (The blue orbs are far too defined, it looks silly IMO)

I could see how having quicker spell particle animations and faster dissipation could improve performance, but lets be honest, this is an old game and I doubt many of us are trying to squeeze in some extra FPS here. I just don't know what the devs were thinking with some of these changes, especially taking away particles while casting and causing spell effects to dissipate almost instantly. I know this is mostly just a cosmetic thing, but I hope the devs take another look at it because I don't think these changes were necessary and they detract further from the already aging visuals.
    Misaligned and EnchFWO like this.
  2. Catashe Augur

My god this... Bring spell effects back to lasting the entire damn cast time!
    EnchFWO likes this.
  3. EnchFWO Augur

I've been thinking this since the moment I realized it happened (launch day live). I'm not sure who thought this was a good idea or even worth spending TIME on changing but seriously... no.

If devs wanna mess with spell particles then give us a toggle for classic (like, OLD SCHOOL), whatever we had, and new EOK revamp particles. It's just like the other display options [Still waiting for old school mob toggle].

But I'm with you... not a fan of the new particles. In some ways on raids it's nice b/c that *could* be a tiny bit of lag but honestly, I don't recall anyone ever asking for this or saying it was an issue.

If dev time during the expansion was actually spent on this then #SMH. If it was the art team then that's a bit more acceptable.
  4. Religious Elder

I quite like the change. I don't mind the spell particles, but I always felt they persisted for far too long. Most players that I personally engage with, myself included, have spell effects for other players disabled. I've enjoyed the changes, and hope it's going to stay around for good. If it has to be looked at further, I'd like to see them invest in a toggle.
  5. Catashe Augur

ok ok how about bring back just the hands spell effect while casting so i ain't got to stare at a spell bar! lol
  6. Riou EQResource

I think the change was mainly for like Procs and to make things go faster instead of just fill your screen with vomit-particles
  7. mackal Augur

This is the best part of EQ though. Vomit mobs are the best.
  8. Duskincense Journeyman

how about make it optional ?
    then you can pick the new spell particles or the previous one by check/uncheck some graphic box while login.

actually I prefer the previous graphic of rain spells and healing spells, the other changes are ok to me.
  9. Tenloar New Member

Necro'ing this thread. When will we get an option to see full duration particle effects instead of the current 3 second ones?