New Shard Drop Rate

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by krozman, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Warpiggs Augur

5 Pages, 95% of people saying the drop rate sucks for them. I could really care less about the 5% of people who get lucky on the drops and can swarm zones killing thousands of mobs per day. This is an expansion pre-release quest, not an Epic quest.

It's just putting in the time? 29 hours and 0 shards isn't putting in time? Oh that's right I need to put in another 100 to get this done, my bad.................
  2. Andarriel Everquest player since 2000

Ive seen over 20 halloween ornament drops but not 1 shard maybe because im in a instanced zone?

Andarriel
  3. Ronak Augur

I've already spent 30 hours on this, and have 0 shards to show for it. An awful lot of people I've spoke to who are also working on this are seeing similar results. I've killed over 5000 NPCs since this stuff went in. I've tried VoA T4, T3, T2, T1. I've tried swarming lower zones. I've tried head-shotting. I've tried everything possible. I've gotten 0 drops at all.

In that same time period, I've gotten an alt 1k aa, another 300+, and myself another 300+ in glyphs. I've gotten 7 violet crystal essences. I've gotten enough named spawns to gear out another alt, and made over 500k plat just off T1 drops, trade-skill items, ornaments, and gems.

I filled 4 x 32 slot bags with Halloween ornaments, then stopped looting them. I'm sure another 4 to 6 bags worth rotted. I've seen another several bags worth of armor ornaments rot, because you can't give them away now either. The game is buried in drops that cannot be sold to any vendor again.

How about making the drop rate on shards actually reasonable, and vastly reducing all the other stuff? How about some actual fun for a pre-release event? Grind-fest isn't the way.
  4. Ezlano Journeyman

I have gotten a total of 11 myself, three in Fear Itself and seven in Beast's Domain. While they are very rare, obtaining them is not impossible. I am generally boxing my Shaman along with my Mage, with no other DPS, so my kill rate is not astronomical compared to what a full group would be.
  5. Abazzagorath Augur

You realize, that a group is 6 people, which means 180 hours to get it for a group. 180 hours of non-stop killing. Yeah, totally reasonable....
    Ronak and Pirlo like this.
  6. obelix Lorekeeper

1) you got 7 in beast domain ? you are lucky ........ i, (we ) killed over 2000 in there and didn't see any droped.

2) and you are boxing, so you don't have to share /random . you would have 1 , maybe 2 if you had to with a full group.. and having a full group with much faster kills , would not mean you would get more to drop since you can kill thousand's before you can see one to drop.
  7. Elizabeta Augur

One afternoon in North Valley and our group got 6. Yay for us! Only 120 more to go.
  8. wingz-83 Augur

What better way to level that tear? Combine thousands of mobs on one quest with killing thousands in another! = FUN!
  9. Coruth Augur

Okay so I did all of level 86 on a group full of toons. No shards at all.

Not only does the drop rate blow, but why are these NOT group quests.

Nothing worse than encouraging people to go solo light blues en masse vs group to get them.

1) Up the Drop rate
    2) most importantly, make group turn ins
    chronicler likes this.
  10. Eodchip New Member

I only usually get time to play on the weekends and so far this weekend I have done nothing but try to get these unobtainable shards. Have tried many various zones (All VoA, All HoT and lower), spent many hours killing thousands of mobs and so far over the past three days have yielded not a single shard. So yes I agree the drop rate needs to be fixed.

Does anyone from Sony ever come to these forums and read the stuff posted here or are we wasting our time?

Frustrating!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  11. Koutarou Elder

I got 7 of the 81-95 range ones in an hour while swarming. Off of light-blue/green mobs in a much lower-level non-instance zone. (After spending about 2 days in instances and getting nada)
  12. Derd Augur

Well for one i'd imagine since most all the eq staff was in vegas they've had better funner things to do than read the forums. I'm sure the drop rate will be looked at and who knows it may be exactly what they want it at or not. Not everything is meant to be finished in a week of play. From what i've gathered though from the posts is that its much more likely to get them from lower level zones. We've not seen any in our voa hunts yet i have 3 from one hour long grounds session getting one of my alts some xp. I'm hoping the loot table/drop rate in voa had a wrong value put in and after they return that it gets a slight boost. If not i imagine you'll see lots of camping in older zones over the next month :)
  13. Zelena Journeyman

I agree on how they did this with the shards. VoA pre lauch was fun. They added quests over the weeks that help build that blimp and got rewards with the coins you got when you did the quests.They even made it look like you were helping building the blimp with each new quest they would add the blimp would get closer to being finished as VoA was getting near to launch. This one has no thought at all. Just mass grind in zones and hopefully you get super lucky and get a shard.

Is there anyway to turn in the 71-85 shards btw? Without deleveling yourself? The whole concept of this prelaunch debacle really was not implemented well.

Zel
  14. Ezlano Journeyman

Yes, I was boxing for all but two drops. After being there today, I have seen roughly 21-22 drop so far in Beast's.
  15. Rainbowdash Augur

To be 100% fair, it's entirely possible (if not a definite given RoF's release date of November 28th, over a month away) that this is just but the first phase of the prelaunch. VoA's pre-launch added and removed tasks over the course of the pre-launch as well. Why not RoF's?

It doesn't excuse the poor (poor being a very very very very very large understatement) drop rate on the shards, but I hold hope they will change it once SoE Live is over and they get back.
  16. obelix Lorekeeper

funny to see how they put broken tasks here and there and wait for players to tell them that something's not working good and need a fix.............specially this one , if they 'd try it before it went live, it was clear the drop rate was awful.
  17. Elizabeta Augur

Woo hoo!!! Shard dropped! Um... bah, it was an Elegant Adept rangeslot thingy.
  18. Ronak Augur

Having seen you say they drop like candy in Beast's, I did another 100+ AA there and got guess how many shards? Yup, still 0. At least I'm over 6000 mobs killed now. This needs to give me an achievement when it finally drops one (of the eleven or more I need). Maybe "There can only be one".
  19. Hiladdar Augur

I killed 2250 light blue con mobs over the past 2 day. From all those kills, I was able to get 18 shards to drop. Out of the 18 shards, for a level 95, 7 are useless, since they are Petite Fear Shards, with required level 71 and recommended level 85. This means that based on what I have read, the turn in NPC will not accept Petite Fear Shards from a level 95 avatar, and each avatar will need 20 shards to turned in for max faction. For this analysis, I will assume that all the dropped shards I got can be turned in.

When the mob does drop shards, it drops between 1 and 4 shards. With 2250 mobs dead and only 18 shards my effective drop rate was about 1 shard, per every 125 mobs killed (2250/18). With a sample of 2250 from universe of infinity, the margin of error is 2.07%. This in effect, this translates to 1 shard every 122 to 128 mobs.

Based on this information, a group of 5, with a merc, in VoA will need to kill 12,500 (125 * 20 * 5) mobs to obtain 20 shards for each person in the group. If it takes 30 seconds to pull and kill a mob, this will take that group just over 104 hours of non-stop pulling and killing to obtain 20 shards for 5 avatars.

Is this what was intended?
  20. Ronak Augur

Or in the case of many of us, infinite hours. Since we've still not seen a single drop in thousands and thousands of kills.