New home needed for eqclerics.org / eqaasearch.org

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Crystilla, Feb 7, 2017.

1. Crystilla Augur

/waves

It's been quite some time since I've had the time to seriously devote to playing, but I'm also now in a position that I can't continue to host the www.eqclerics.org website.

Is anyone able to help? My renewal is on 2/11/17 (so 4 days from now) so I need to switch this to someone else in the next 3 days unfortunately.

My domain doesn't expire until November 2018 so that has time, though I'm willing to switch that over to someone else as well as once that comes up for renewal, I won't be able to cover that either.

~~

Separately, I guess there's been an issue on the site recently as a few days ago my host (GoDaddy) sent me an email stating:

"Dear Sir/Madam,

THE FOLLOWING REQUIRES IMMEDIATE ACTION ON YOUR PART

As it states in the Hosting Terms of Service, the acceptable size thresholds for MySQL databases on your shared hosting plan are 1,000 MB (1 GB) and 1,000 tables. Additionally, total row consumption and other general usage of MySQL must be maintained in a manner that remains compatible with the shared website hosting environment.

What does all that mean?! It means we are alerting you that your eqclerics.org hosting account has been identified as causing an overload of MySQL resources. This means it is a source of negative impact to our systems and other customers. Due to this, it became necessary to disable further growth of the following:

eqclerics (1.52 GB & 178 Tables)

This means that new database content will no longer be served to its associated website(s). Existing database content will continue to be served, however, only until our review dates noted below.

We must ask that you review and resolve this issue, including underlying cause of this situation, without delay. To do so, access to your database via phpMyAdmin will remain intact using the schedule below. For assistance, you may call to speak with an expert at 480-366-3501.

*** IMPORTANT ***

The following schedule will be used to assist you with your efforts:

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 07, 2017 (MST, GMT -7) - If the database remains above thresholds, your website access to the database content will be revoked. Your website will no longer be able to connect to the database for content.

TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 14, 2017 (MST, GMT -7) - If the database remains above thresholds, the database will be backed up (*if possible) and removed at that time. Your database will no longer exist on your hosting account.

Once you have reduced the database to within the acceptable thresholds, normal functionality will automatically be restored once again. Please allow up to one full hour for such changes to take effect."

Because I can't access the website, I don't really have the expertise to figure out how to fix this. I am going to see if they'll reinstate it so I can try and remedy it ... but even if I remedy it, I still can't continue to host it.

~~~
    On eqaasearch.org, it hasn't been able to be kept up to date with all the AA changes in structures over the last year or so, and therefore, I'm offering up the current database/excel file as is in case anyone wants to host it or make changes to that. The same situation will occur - once that host and domain come up for renewal, I won't be continuing the site.
    PathToEternity likes this.
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Hello.

I would like to offer my hosting plan to assist. I always want to host more EQ information.

RIght now, I don't quite understand your exact needs. Please contact me (I sent you a private message now that I remembered I can do that here) and we can get together (email, phone) to discuss what I can do to help.

I find it hard to believe that your database is actually 1.52GB in size. Do you have hundreds of thousands of forum posts?

If not, I suspect there is a database error or malware or some kind of shenanigans going on with your database.

Again, please contact me and I'll help as I can.
  3. Kravn Augur

I will talk to Xanathol, we may be able to help with EQshadowknight.net as well.

As Fanra is saying above, that seems abnormally large... when was the last time DB maint was performed?
  4. Riou EQResource

I imagine for the db to be that "bloated" it's probably something like images being saved in the db instead of file system :p

I only see that forums users/posts/topics from 2013 on archive, I don't know how much has posted since then, but at that point in the time with that many things the db should be using more like 250-300-ish mb range probably with the stats it had in that point in time (like 255k posts, 11k users)

If vbulletin was ever upgraded it prob left old stuff in the db unused too
  5. Xanathol Augur

If there is anything we at EQShadowknight.net can do to help, please let us know. I agree with the others that the DB should be nowhere near that size - checking the attachment tables and PMs (possible spambots?) might help.
  6. Grove Augur

I tried to update my contact info on eqclerics but I was unable to find the tab to do this. It gives a little poke of uplift to get a birthday message.
  7. Crystilla Augur

Thanks all. A little history on eqclerics.org - It's been passed down from cleric to cleric for safe keeping (and whatever additions that hoster wanted to do). Think I've had it for about 5? years or so, but I don't actually own the vbulletin license so it's never been updated for a lot of years even before my 'reign' with it.

My life got crazy busy in 2016 so I almost never attended the site and it doesn't even have a captcha or spammer deterrent on registration because of the aforementioned vbulletin issue. So it's entirely possible it's spammers posting graphics.
  8. moogs Augur

https://www.dreamhost.com/legal/unlimited-policy/

I used these guys for a decade or so. As long as you're using them for hosting actual websites, they're cool. I was using it for non website related SFTP backup, which they were not very pleased with.
  9. Xanathol Augur

I use https://www.tmdhosting.com/ for our site - $46.20 a year with unlimited disk space and bandwidth. You have to bring your own vBulletin install over but from there, its all yours - secure telnet access, ftp, etc.
  10. Crystilla Augur

Thanks for the offers everyone. I'm working with Fanra to transfer the host for eqclerics.org (though I'll still manage the site and have gotten most of the spam posts cleared up). Running into some bugs on getting it transferred but in the interim, I temporarily renewed the site for 1 month on my host.
    Fanra likes this.
  11. AlmarsGuides Augur

Good luck with getting it transfered and thanks for taking time out of your life to continue running/making sure it runs - one of the few resources left in this game for information.

It seems like learning Everquest these days requires just as much skill playing the game as it does googling for information about the game. Thanks for making those jobs easier on the players =)
    CrazyLarth likes this.
  12. Kharazdak Journeyman

Any update on this? I don't see anything at eqclerics.org, and eqaasearch.org still seems down.
    Or are there any alternatives with a similar search-able database?
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I'm hosting EQ Clerics at https://eqclerics.org/

It's working fine for me, try the link above

As for eqaasearch.org, it was outdated and using some special kind of software. I'd still like to host it. I would need to figure out the best way to do so and then see if I can import the spreadsheet with the data that Crystilla has. Then it would be needed to be updated.
  14. Kharazdak Journeyman

Thanks. Sorry, I didn't read the post title carefully;) and by "this" I meant the eqaasearch db, not eqclerics, which I can get to fine. Hopefully some incarnation of the aa search can get worked out. I remember when I was last using it, there were some things that were outdated, but it was still super useful in the different filters you could apply to it. I've tried taking lists from raidloot and importing to excel and filtering, which works ok, though some of the fields don't format correctly (i.e. the "aa cost" gets put into some weird date format that I can't seem to put back to its original numeric values). And raidloot doesn't seem to differentiate between passive and activate-able, at least in a field that can be filtered.