New Dual Wield Idea.

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Bigz_Zupdarty, May 16, 2013.

1. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

First i'm posting this here because it applys to all meele who can dual wield not just one class archetype.

Its time for something new in the game, create a single dual wield item. One item that is 2 weapons. Doing this can open up alot of new avenues for all classes involved.

Devs can have greater control over the DPS output of people using these new weapon types then currently. Damage/dely values can be controled within the weapon set to alow devs to do things with 1h weapons they couldnt in the pass. You can have a really high dmg offhand with a slower dely, giving the devs room to augment damage levels to where they want them to be for each class using the new weapon types.

People wouldnt be able to interchange weapons in the set so you are "locked" into using them how they were designed. I believe that this idea can help boost all the dual weild classes that have been suffering in the dps department. Meele hasnt seen something new added to their repertoire in a very long time, I think this idea would do great things for the game.

These items would be weapon "sets" so would only require one ornament to change both weapons. the item would have 2 regular aug slots one for each weapon. Dual weild would basicly remain unchanged It just gives devs room to do things they wouldnt in the past because it could make things unballanced.

For example, if you have a weapon drop that has a really high dmg/ low dely, Naturaly a dual wield class is going to pair it with the second best weapon they can get. As the game is now you dont want to make weapons too good, or people will be doing more DPS then the devs see fit for them. But with this new idea you can have a really good 1h paired with one that isnt so great to control the dps output to where the devs want it to be.

There is many ways this could be done. You can have the new items just drop as is. (reducing the number of weapons needed to be put on loot tables, reducing the number of rotting weapons) You can have a single sword drop, that requires you to do a quest to find its "pair". You can also have to loot 2 weapons that arnt so great, but when combined (via a quest or npc hand in) creat the new weapon type.

This idea came to me because of the current discussion on warrior dual wielding, I believe that this idea can be used to help give warriors back dual wield. There are many new modifiers devs can add to these weapon sets to do things that could never be done before. Controled Ac bonuses, enhigheted pary/dodge chances, specfic dmg mods. The list can keep going.

I also believe that great things can be done with this idea for other classes as well hence my posting here in the veteran forum insted of a class forum. Rogues can see specialized backstabbing sets, rangers and beastlords can have sets that augment their spell casting, Monks im not sure of something special it can do for them but im sure they can speak up if people feel this idea has any merit.

Thoughts? discussion? good idea? bad idea? ? ? GO!
  2. fransisco Augur

id like to see specialized weapons for more than just knights and berzerkers (omgosh WAY to many weapons for them out there).
    But a fun perk to duel wielding is getting 2 different items.
  3. Beneden Lorekeeper

I'm pretty sure this "new weapon" would require new swing animations which would cost time and money to create. Are you thinking about one weapon connected by some sort of axil that you swing like nunchucks? Paint us a better picture of your idea for how the weapon would be used? Would it be like two helicopter blades rotating vertically at the NPC you're facing?
  4. Diptera Augur

Think Bigz is just suggesting pairs of items that must both be equipped in order to get the benefits from them - another way of doing this (I think) would be to use the "awareness" of items (in the same way that certain charms or augs change in power depending on your weight, amount of coin, time of day, etc) - give both weapons of a "pair" only poor or average default stats, but also give them both boosted stats if their "companion" is equipped, so whilst you *could* equip only one of the pair, you would need to have both to make it worthwhile..
  5. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

My idea would basicly leave dual wield exactly how it is Beneden, no change to the swing animations. You would still hold a weapon in each hand, the item it self would just be 1 icon that goes in your primary and blocks out your secondary slot simmilar to a 2h weapon.

Diptera has taken the idea a little farther, you could implament the same thing i am sugesting with how they conceptualize it. But i think it would be easyer on the devs to just make 1 item that dose it all, insted of having to check for more variables.

Warriors would still need 1h weapon drops for sword n board tanking as well. There can also still be benifites to dual wielding the old way too, If you can manage to get the 2 best weapons from an expansion (as a ranger monk rogue) you'd recive more stats/hp/mana/proc's.
  6. Beezelbub Elder

AS a melee class why would I have an advantage over casters who need to aquire 2 items i.e. main hand/offhand. For the classes who use 2handed weapons that is just one of their perks. One of our perks is being able to hunt down and aquire 2 unique weapons that best fit into our needs. Combining the two would it not be the same argument to be an armor package? Where a package drops and you get chest.arms,legs,and hands...but does that not deplete the fun of the hunt? Sure every woman throwing herself at you sounds fun but never being allowed the chase would dull the adventure if you get my drift. My dual wield classes I have, I have enjoyed all the different weapons out there to pick and choose from and it seems there is a lot of "best weapons" to choose from.
  7. Beezelbub Elder

I think some cool 2handers that could split into 2 one handers would be neat like the old warrior epic...not sure if new one does the same or not. But devs can balance the game in other ways a combo package of weapons i don't think is the right idea. Now having weapons that have partners out there in the world that if you could aquire both of them they would offer some unique abilities...now that would be cool.
  8. Sebbina Augur

Gandalf whacked mobs with staff in one hand and sword in the other, when do druids get dual wield?
    (sometimes I don't die fast enough with sword and shield)
  9. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

Hey its just an idea, if people arnt for it thats all good. i was just throwing it out there. I still think it has merit.
  10. Beezelbub Elder

I liked the concept for a special aug for warriros only that would grant ac or block or something that would allow a second sword to add roughly the same defensive qualities as a shield. So that they could remain the dual wield tanking class they grew up as.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Gandalf was a wizzy, wizzys should get duel wield! ....Ok druids can have it too. :)
  12. Beezelbub Elder

I think gandalf was a druid but then went to heaven and became god mode..i.e. a wizard.
  13. Dre. Altoholic

Not sure what the benefit is to artificially binding two weapons together. Seems like less choice, not more.

They have done this in the past by just making secondary-only weapons. Examples:
    http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=28811
    http://lucy.allakhazam.com/item.html?id=80486
    beryon likes this.
  14. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

You are right dre, it would be less choice.. But it would let devs control the dps output of dual wield classes better, giving them a way to boost dps but still keep it in check.
  15. Beezelbub Elder

If one weaponed helped devs balance dps better then wouldnt zerkers be right where they want them and the community of zerkers would not be complaining about being underpowered...i think class mechanics makes balancing difficult not weapon stats. those are easy to fix if any one combination was op.
  16. Caudyr Augur

To be fair...I imagine there will be berserkers that are going to complain about being underpowered so long as they aren't blowing every other class out of the water. You will never satisfy some people.

That being said...I'd rather have more options, not less...but I know that won't happen, heh.
  17. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

your not picturing it correctly beezel.. zerkers use 1 weapon.. my idea would be 2 weapons.. under 1 item.. you can make one wep 300dmg/30dely, and the second 10dmg/10dely to augment how fast you are out putting dmg. (this is just an example these numbers obv wouldnt work) devs would never make it so you can dual wield 2 weapons that have 300dmg, but they could use this system to limit what combinations u can use.

There obviously has to be some advantages and disadvantges to this.. Higher dps, at the cost of hp/mana/stats/mods..
  18. Beezelbub Elder

in that scenario id almost never use a second weapon and only a shield but even so why not just get one weapon that is 150dmg/10 dly and another that is 145dam/30dly i mean i think most of us like having the advantage of looking for 2 unique weapons...that wouldnt be worth the possible ease of better balancing but again i think weapon damage is the least of the issues when it comes to balancing..if you havent noticed a lot of high end weapons are similar in damage dly..they dont vary by as much as you might think.
  19. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

I've been playing this game along time, i have a good sence for how the code works. The weapons dont very that much because of how the meele system works, if they raise them too much its too big of a dps boost. Weapons raise very slowly because of the impact they DO have. My idea opens alot of new doors for the direction of meele. I dont think dual wield as it is now should be totally purged, as others have said it is enjoyable to hunt for 2 weapons. This is just an idea for a new avenue.
  20. Beezelbub Elder

what doors would your system offer exactly at first glance it looks like simply a trade off where the focus will all be about finding that perfect primary or single sword that comes with an offhand? I know roleplaing isnt big but how does it fit into that concept as well...what would be the logical understanding behind the concept be of real world application. (yes i know eq strays away from this at times with snakes kicking and all but still helps to have concepts based in some fashion of real world application).