New 4k screen

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Nofo_Moss, Sep 22, 2013.

1. Nofo_Moss New Member

I would love to see everquest on new 4k screen been think about get one.
    but will it work my I do have a card that can push that but will everquest engine hand it?
  2. Nofo_Moss New Member

ok I give this some time here I guess no one real knows if EQ will work with a 4k screen?
  3. Mutsumi New Member

1. Make your Desktop resolution larger than your actual monitor (so your desktop scrolls)
    2. Run EQ Windowed
  4. Explicit Augur

There are much cheaper (free, actually) ways to make EQ look a hell of a lot nicer via your graphics card's control panel -- Nvidia Control Panel or Catalyst Control Center. I can post detailed pictures of what settings to tweak, for both chipsets, if needed.

I'd hold off buying a 4k monitor if your sole reason for buying it is for EQ. If you're planning on getting one anyway, then it should be alright running at 4k.
    Danille likes this.
  5. Danille Augur

Please post them. :)
  6. Explicit Augur

ATI - Catalyst Control Center
    DO NOT TWEAK THE GLOBAL SETTINGS, ONLY EQGAME.EXE
    [IMG]

This is a bit of an old screencap, I have AA samples and Filter at 4x now. Of course, you can go higher but it will drag performance if you plan on boxing.These options are found under "Gaming -- Application Settings". Catalyst Control Center can be found in your taskbar or your start menu via the search bar. Settings optimized for boxing on an HD 7850
    NVIDIA - Nvidia Control Panel
    DO NOT TWEAK THE GLOBAL SETTINGS, ONLY EQGAME.EXE
    [IMG]

Just about the same thing as ATI here, again you can go higher if you wish for even smoother looking images in game. These options are found under "manage 3d settings". Nvidia Control Panel can be found in your taskbar or via the start menu search bar. Settings optimized for boxing on a GeForce 650M (laptop).

These are my personal settings for both chipsets with mid-range cards, start here and work your way up or down til you find what works perfect for you. I can guarantee the game will look better the moment you change these (granted, you need to restart EQ if it was already running when you changed settings).
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  7. Danille Augur

excellent thanks ill give it a try
  8. Kamea Augur

I have a hard time seeing EQ being playable at 4k, given the fact it's bottlenecked by the CPU even at 1080p. The amount of juice you need to play any game at 4k is a bit insane, remember, it's even more pixels than triple monitor gaming. Parts of the UI would be incredibly tiny too.
  9. Xanadas Augur

CPU Bottleneck?

I run 4 instances of EQ on one machine, one of which runs at 2560x1600 and my AMD 6-core cpu (several years old now) doesn't get pegged.

On a side note, I notice if I set each eqgame.exe to have CPU affinity for all CPUs, I get smoother performance in all instances of eqgame.exe. By default eqgame.exe will only bind to one CPU at a time.

And no, I don't have any crashing or stability issues when binding to all CPUs.

Back on topic though, I would love to see some screenshots of EQ at 4k resolution!
  10. Kamea Augur

The bottleneck isn't the whole CPU. IE, if task manager says CPU Usages = 40%, you can still be bottlenecked.

Here's how multicore CPU affinity works on EQ.

1) The "primary" core handles over 50% of all the processing for EQ. The primary core is determined by the ini file and can't be changed on the fly.
    2) Whatever additional cores you assign EQ to run on will divide up additional processing power, and increased total processing power by ~40-50%.

Indeed, the very reason why EQ is way more bottlenecked than it can be the fact only a relatively small amount of processing power can be assigned to secondary cores.... as opposed to games like Battlefield 3 it's spread around so much you can't even tell what core is the primary one.

Cliff notes: You need to look at individual cores, not CPU usage. Yes, you are being bottlenecked, or you have a major framerate cap.