Never played before

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by xloredemonx, Dec 2, 2013.

1. xloredemonx New Member

I am completely oblivious to this game have no idea about the servers or how end game is. I just remember watching a friends dad play this when I was maybe 9 ish years old. I would like to know is it recommended for a newbie to try to learn to tank or should I roll a dps class? I thought paladins looked awesome but idk. Also what server should I get on if I like the game I plan on buying the new expansion and hopefully doing dungeons and raiding. Any help would be amazing ty in advance. Also how hard is this game? I want a game that revolves around some skill unlike when I played WoW.
  2. Dandin Augur

Hello and welcome to Norrath.

if you want to play a Paladin, play a paladin. difficulty is relative, and while it does take a bit of gear and AAs to be a tank, nothing is impossible with a little work,

i would reccomend trying different classes and doing the tutorial. it should give you an idea of how the game works, and a small, brief idea of how your class works. Trying different characters is okay, its how you find out what you will LOVE about EQ

In terms of servers, I would recommend Bristlebane.. but i'm a little bias. Thats my server <3

This game does take skill. and players that do research and work hard are noticed.

Whatever you choose to do. you can contact me directly here at the forums. OR type ;tell bristle.dandin

CHEERS
  3. Connell New Member

Hello!

Which server will you play, xloredemonx? I'm starting now and it would be interesting to play with another beginner.
  4. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

Because you eventually want to raid, some drudge work now is important. First, make characters on as many servers as you can and use the command /lfguild which will help you find guild recruiters for raiding guilds. You want to know first of all when they raid so you know their schedule works with yours, and second what classes they want, or will want when you reach the level to raid. Finally, they may offer to help you out or give you some pointers, maybe even assign a mentor.

Once you've selected the server and class you want to play, make a new account using the link in my signature file below (log in if you can't see it). That way, you'll have all the free bonus stuff on the character on the server you want to play on.

Have fun!
  5. wenlaya Journeyman

if you've tanked in wow you can tank in everquest. the core principles are the same. the biggest differences you'll see is threat management is a real thing unlike wow and you have to use your discs right. cooldowns in this game are very powerful but typically have a much longer cooldown - the 3 minute wow cooldowns are among the shortest in everquest. my main cooldowns are on 23 minute timers. so you have to understand what they do and the best time to use them.

this game is harder than wow by a mile, but if you put in the work to be good you will be noticed and praised for your skill. its not like wow where you hop into LFD/LFR with a bunch of scumbags and win anyway. if you're a bad tank you'll fall over in 2 hits, even if you're geared to the teeth.
    moogs likes this.