Need suggestions for Solo Leveling

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by LadyM, Feb 25, 2019.

1. LadyM Journeyman

I'm stuck trying to level up a solo player. My biggest problem is dealing w/ mob group attcks. To get exp, you need to fight mobs @ about the same lvl. I can do that. However, they have every mob in the area coming to help them. So i'm stuck having to fight much lower lvl's if i don't want to spend all my time @ my bind location. The higher I go, the slower this gets.

How can i work around this, or are there suggestions for good places where i can fight only 1-2(occasionally 3) mobs at a time? I know this will change w/ each lvl. I guess i'm looking for how to find the right places as i progress.

Right now i'm @ Lvl 61 Rngr w/tank merc. My latest great adventure visiting the soulBinder involved fighting a lvl60 queen..... +3 protecters.... +7 nobles.....+(well i was dead @ that point o_O )
    {{i really wanted to rip the wings off that queen :cool:}}
  2. Tachyon Augur

I've never played a Ranger but most I've known would snare kite multiple non-summoning mobs and probably use a dps merc. The entrance to the Halls of Honor is a good spot. You can basically count on only doubles, but you must snare both. You can also run out if things go bad. There's a guard who walks by ever 20 mins or so that does summon so you want to avoid him. Mobs are like 62-63.
  3. Tachyon Augur

Another even easier spot where you can mostly pull solos and kite are the Murkgliders in the pit on the left when you enter Nobles Causway. They are around 59-62.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think the biggest two things I could add are:

1 - Best solo XP is usually dark blue, or high light blue mobs (so, mobs 3-7 levels below you)
    2 - There are tons of places to fight only 1-2 mobs at a time, at all levels. Look around more, and observe pathing in your zone, and figure out where the good camp spots are.
    Buddy and Barton like this.
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

So correct me if I'm wrong, but this sounds like you're describing the Queen Eletyl encounter in Blackfeather Roost. She's a level 71 raid mob (not 60) with a ton of adds around her. You're a solo level 61 ranger. Blackfeather Roost is generally a pretty decent zone for your level, but you can't solo the raid boss on the final island at your level. Go back down a level or two and you should find a lot of single pullable harpies on various islands.

Also check with Franklin Teek in PoK to find out what the hot zones are for level 60 and level 55. Possibly 65 too. Grab the tasks from him and complete them for nice xp bonuses, and they'll probably steer you to some decent new grinding areas too.
    Lakeland and Barton like this.
  6. LadyM Journeyman

It was potamide Queen Nhaylea(Lvl60) in Goru' kar Mesa. protectors(Lvl54), nobles(Lvl55-57) ok, there were only 5 nobles not 7.... Once you start adding up the #'s.... and then also the river ooze/slime(Lvl50-52)......

Thanx for the suggestions. I did check w/ Franklin Teek. The problem w/ him is trying to figure out how to get to the places. There must be something to help w/this, but i don't know what.
    Using the map zone guide, i end up w/ "Mysterious forces prevent you from finding your destination easily".
    So is that part of what's referred to as grinding through the game?
  7. LadyM Journeyman

Tatanka, what do you mean by "observe pathing in your zone"?

Tachyon, i'm curious about the Nobles Causeway, but still trying to work out how to get there.
  8. roth Augur

I think he meant to watch how the mobs are pathing around, what paths they are taking. There may be mobs that you can single pull if you let them path away from their buddies.

That said ... you should have long had access to Harmony of Nature. Your next lull type spell will be Tranquility of the Glade, at 68. Cast that on mobs around the one you want to pull, and then pull the one you want. Don’t be afraid to root a mob away from you, though you’ll need to spend some time recasting roots.

As far as mercs go .. tank merc is really not your best option. Your best bet is either no merc at all (true solo work) for the most exp per kill ... or to use a healer merc, and you tank it. I’ve never tried aggro kiting for a dps merc, I’m really not sure that would be the way to go. Just remember, if its just you and a merc, your merc is getting half the exp.
    Tatanka likes this.
  9. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

First you're going to want to download a map pack. I prefer Goodurden's Map Pack which he has put an absurd amount of work into. There's also Brewall's maps, can just google it. Get the new maps and extract them to your EverQuest > Maps folder.

Then in game, use the Zone Guide at the top right corner of the map window. Select your destination zone from the list, then at the bottom hit "Set End" and then "Activate Path." This should bring up a Zone Path window showing you the order of zones to take to your destination, and also (usually) should bring up a semi-transparent path to show you the route. Even if you get the "mysterious forces" message, it should still mark a big red X on your map showing the zone line to the next zone on your route. May need to disable the Auto-Zoom feature at the bottom of your map in order scroll around and see the red X.
  10. Sethiroth Augur

That generally means there’s an npc who sends you to that place and for some reason they haven’t figured out how to include npcs in their zone finder. I suggest you make good use of google for finding new zones if zone finder lets you down. Once you know the way, you’re golden. If it’s an oow zone you’re trying to get to, the priest of discord, near the library (you need to go up the twisting Ramps) entrance in plane of knowledge send you there if you hail him and click his highlighted text (make sure to read it because he has two sets of text, and one will turn you into a red character (pvp enabled)

Also, depending on what server youre playing on, a second account could be a viable althernative. 2 boxing with Mercs is so much quicker. I started a sk/shaman box from scratch over the weekend, played about 6-8 hours both days and about 1.5 hours last night, both toons are currently level 45.

I followed Almars levelling guide, though I don’t use tank merc, I use two time caster dps Mercs on burn setting and they just tear through the mobs, and also tank surprisingly well too.
  11. Aurastrider Augur

Using a tank merc can get a little tricky using the root/snare method but basically I would put them on passive when you pull. Rangers really shine when they have room to run and favor outdoor zones in general when they are a puller. Snare or root your first mob and run like hell. Snare/root the next mob and continue to do this until you only have one left that you will engage. I would highly suggest snaring this one also should you get overrun. At this point after engaging this mob you can turn off passive on your merc and let them jump into battle. Hopefully they will actually engage the same mob you are fighting. If you notice them running off after a mob you have rooted/snared quickly place them back in a passive state and try again. You can put all your merc commands on a hotbar and keybind them for faster switching of stances. Once your merc engages the correct mob you can then decide if its best to melee or stand back and bow while spam casting on the mob and throwing in some spot heals on your tank to keep them upright.

As an alternative when I mained my ranger and was leveling around that time I would use a caster merc instead of a tank merc. Again I would snare the mob and bow and chain cast. I would alternate between burn and passive on my caster merc depending on how much agro they would get. Basically I would try to keep the mob boxed in between me and the merc (originally when I heard the term boxing I thought this is what people meant even though I had been boxing since around 2002). The trick is to get the mob to come towards you and then towards your merc and then back towards you and continue doing this until it is dead. I was able to take down several red con mobs around that level doing this but it can be slow and does require some space to work without any roamers.
  12. Silver-Crow Augur

have a look at:

https://www.mmorpgtips.com/everquest-ranger-headshot-guide/

As a ranger, headshot should really make xp come pretty fast even with the headshot nerfs.
    At 61, just sit back while your tank merc holds aggro and pew pew with your bow, then patch tank back up.

I've never really played a ranger but I believe they're still good.
  13. AceHunter New Member

I've moloed the Queen Nhyalea questlne on a few different characters recently. I definitely had an easier go of it on some classes than others, but my general plan was the same each time. I always used lull/pacify/harmo if I had it, but for me the key was to keep the merc on passive while I used proximity aggro to limit any adds. Then I'd pull them a safe distance away from the pond, turn the merc back to aggressive, and go to town. I'd work my way around the pond up to and slightly past the queen, including some of the oozes nearest her. Good luck.
  14. Phiyre Augur

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/wiki/eq:headshot there is another headshot guide.
    Also, w/ ranger, you should be pulling to a safe spot using your harmony spell to calm them before pulling. That will help w/ single target pulls.
    Once you get your jolt/knockback/aggro wipe roots, keep the different lvls/ranks of it on your spell bar because they don't share cool downs.
    A best friend to a ranger is an outdoor area where you have room to kite. I find if my ranger has space, I can take unlimited adds (fought 10+ mobs within a lvl of me np).
    I started to use a healer merc and have a caster merc on backup if I want to burn mobs but be forced to root more because nukes break root pretty quickly. Found a tank doesn't live well enough w/o a dedicated healer pretty early on. My ranger snare/root and just shoots until root breaks/re root/mob dies.
    Barton likes this.
  15. LadyM Journeyman

I so need to spend a lot more time on this forum. I've been brute forcing my way thru a lot, with basic pulling skills. I had tried root/snare way back, but didn't have much luck. Idiot me, probably because my skills weren't high enough to help before i just tossed the spell aside. I tried again last night and was amazed @ how well it worked. Also, i wasn't sure what to do w/ the harmony spells before, so i just never bothered. Again, wow.

I really really like getting input/help from other rangers and solo'ers. Thank you. This thread has helped me so much. Now i just need to take all this advice and spend time sorting out what does/will work best for me. ;)
  16. Fluid Augur

My favorite spawn at that level and a bit on either side was Crypt of Nadox. Lots of spots with single pulls and double pulls. Monster level mostly in the 52-57 range with only a couple of dangerous mobs that don't move around so easy to avoid. Then Daybreak fixed Ranger Head Shot!:( Still an OK area for a Ranger, even on a bad pull at your level your Merc could probably tank 4 mobs. Great place to get skills like archery and kick up. Loot isn't too bad as far as making some coin but no hardware you would want to equip. Drops are pretty heavy too so unless you have a Veteran Reward summoned vendor/banker or an inventory of 100% weight reduction packs, you will not maximize profit. By 64 most everything will be light blue & green except for the bosses so better to move on. Good place for accumulating AA's too.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Hehe, Crypt of Nadox :)

Back in the summer of '11, before they nerfed fellowships, I decided I was finally going to level all my alts that'd been sitting around forever. So I took my 85 druid and an alt, and started swarm-DS PL-ing the alt, who was also in a fellowship with all of the other alts. I can't tell you how fast the XP flew by! And after a while, the PLed alt would pull away from the fellowship, so I'd log another alt in, and keep going.

Over the course of three months, I made 595 levels across 17 alts, with one char hitting level 51 with an hour and 10 minutes played :) And that doesn't even include the thousands of AAs I gained across all those chars in that same timeframe. I really miss the way fellowships used to work.

Yes, Crypt is an excellent zone, and if it's in your wheelhouse, level and skill-wise, it's a good place to spend some time.
  18. Phiyre Augur

If you ever have a question, feel free to message me. luclin-stromm server
    if i'm on, normally avadon, reyzof, jalamagi
    will gladly try to help, even though i'm no pro :)
  19. LadyM Journeyman

Well, i've been to Crypt of Nadox, and will be going back soon. The most tedious part was going thru the tunnel to get there. The mobs(tunnel) are just high enough that you can't just kick them out of the way. Would throwing Harmony @ each 1 as i pass work? (drat, just remembered the spell won't work in tunnels)

Anyway, in the crypt, seems reasonable, but i need to figure out how to time things. One thing i wasn't expecting, one of the mobs crossed the room to get another one that wasn't paying attention. It literally went out of it's way to go get the other one. Then the 2 attacked together. Are the mobs actually designed to start being able to strategize as the lvls get higher?

Phiyre, thanxs for the offer, but i'm on FV server. If you know anyone on there who is also generous in offering help, please let me know.
  20. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

The mobs in the tunnel in Gulf of Gunthak typically don't see invis. Just avoid the few undead on the beach when you go by, and then you can just run through safely while invis. It's also an outdoor zone so harmony works fine if you want to go that route.
    Nah, this isn't deliberate game design. This is just an example of poor mob pathing in EQ. You'll notice it all over, especially around uneven terrain or obstacles, but also sometimes in seemingly very straightforward places with flat ground. If you want a mob you're pulling to take a specific path, generally you'll have better success the closer you are when you aggro it.