Need Help Class Advice

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Traspe, May 4, 2017.

1. Traspe Journeyman

Soooo I can't wait for the new server..I need help deciding what to play, I'm a hardcore raider so I want a class that will be fun in raids but also desireable in groups as well..I want to be able to log on and find a group pretty quick which leads me to Enchanter but I'm also kind of itching to play a SK but am afraid of how people look at the class when forming groups or getting in a guild and acquiring loot...

I'm down to SK ENC and Ranger, Please help! Can't wait!
  2. Traspe Journeyman

Been trying to decide a race for the SK if I go that route..does Iksar still get an xp penalty and how bad is it? Thanks for any advice
  3. Trevalon Augur

Sks get groups very well. SK/Paladins are highly desired in the group content because of their agro generation. I would take an SK/Pal over a warrior anyday in a group setting.

On raids SK's are decent enough, if you time your swings/nukes correctly you can put out some respectable dps numbers in a raid. The biggest problem with Sks is there tends to be a lot of them and I don't think most raids would WANT more than 2-3 SKs, though the guild I was in had 5 of them cause so many dang people wanna play their SK so they can have them geared for their group game. So yea, good class, but it may be somewhat hard to find a raid spot because there tends to be alot of SK's and most guild's wont want more than 2-3. I pretty positive we turned down more SK's than any other class who applied.

Side Note: Each raid leader has their difference, but I like Paladins better for raiding and generally there are much less Paladins than SKs on the server so finding a raid spot is pretty easy on a Paladin. I usually prefer a SK over Paladins for grouping just cause of the extra dps, but I would take a paladin there too, especially over a warrior.

Rangers are pretty terrible...until Luclin. If your going to make a ranger then just wait till late Velious and power level one up like everyone else is going to do. Luclin and PoP Rangers are extremely strong and there will be a ton of them both mains and boxes.

You can't go wrong with Enchanter. Arguably the strongest class on TLP servers if your willing to charm and play them correctly. You will always have groups. Raiding on an enchanter is extremely boring unless your charming (which you should be at least for the first couple expansions) and even then it is just sending your pet in and buffing other people. Probably the most boring raid class along with bards (Bards get a lot more fun in PoP though). Also there will be a TON of enchanters, both main and boxed at the start of Agnarr, so expect you will have alot of competition for raid slots unless your guild wants 6+ Enchanters (and they might, our guild ran with 6-8 enchanters pretty much since launch, except for a stint during Velious/early Luclin where we only had like 2-3)
  4. Trevalon Augur

5. Nuther Augur

FYI - 65 Cleric here and I have been dealing with a ton of poorly played SK in LDoN these past weeks. Just because an SK can grab aggro quickly doesn't mean you have to aggro a whole bunch at once. All that does is take away half your hit points in about 2 seconds and force me to draw aggro to heal your sorry a$$. Now I have 4 mobs pounding on me and all I can do is chain cast self heals and wait.

Honestly, I will take a warrior or a Pally any day if SK think they can play like that.
  6. Magic Augur

If Sk got aggro him do his job, me think, if your group cant kill them or cc, doesnt mean sk is poor :) Or you want pally heal himself while you afk a bit? :)
  7. Accipiter Old Timer

You won't be able to do iksar until Kunark but, no, there are no longer any class or race penalties.
  8. Khaliss Augur

I played on live back in the days of live PoP-era as a warrior. My guildies always preferred a warrior versus a paladin or SK to tank, but well-played Pals/SKs are great offtanks and we would chain pull raids/dungeons like crazy. I still remember the names of our guild's top paladin (Danath) & top SK (Gumby) back in MaelinStarpyre (Assent guild). Those guys rocked & were indispensable when clearing the elemental planes & PoTime
  9. Illusory Augur

If you're between a Shadow Knight and Enchanter why not play a Bard?

You can solo.
    You are desired by groups.
    You are highly desired by raids.

It means the Shadow Knight isn't a team player.

Seriously, who the heck wants to constantly exhaust themselves in an LDoN because Mr Shadow Knight wants to prove how good he can tank a few pulls at once? Not me.

Show off your tank skills during a raid and off tank something.
  10. Kiani Augur

Some tanks just latch on to one mob at a time, and ignore the rest until that one's dead. If you don't have a mezzer, that will mean the healer is tanking the rest, which is obviously not ideal. As a cleric myself, I have died that way a number of times, when I couldn't even channel a DA. I'd rather a tank tried to get agro on the rest.

A good tank will take agro on mobs, and keep it. I don't think the SK was poor for taking agro on the mobs, but if he couldn't or didn't try to get them back off the cleric after one heal, that isn't good.

It also depends on other things - I was once grouped with an SK who held decent agro on several mobs at once, but he did it with dots, and the enchanter couldn't mez them. So he was tanking them when he didn't need to. If there hadn't been an enchanter in the group, it would have been fine, but there was, and it was using more heal mana than it needed to.