Necro is way, way better than Mage Solo

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Pentasol, Oct 27, 2022.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vumad Cape Wearer

ENC and BRD are both more versatile than NEC and neither is evil.

Edit: And if someone can give a good explanation of why MAG can't mez, paci, slow and charm elementals that is some answer other than it would make them OP as heck, I'm open ears.
  2. phattoni Augur

they gave mages a charm for high level mobs in planes of power, it was universally described as a mistake.

mages could charm the elementals in bastion of thunder, and then goto town destroying stuff. it was OP and never done again.
    kizant likes this.
  3. Treiln Augur

Opinions based on lack of…anything, but mainly experience doesn’t suddenly turn your “opinion” into truths/facts. As many people have refuted the point that “Necro is better than Mage”.

Necro is better than Mage in niche situations
    Mage is better than Necro is niche situations

Both have their ups and downs.

I’d rather take a mercenary and split my experience and be able to kill nonstop for an hour as a Mage than spend half my time FD’ing to drop aggro and not gain any experience at all.
    Vumad likes this.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

That's why I said any reason other than being OP.

The context was that NEC is more versatile than MAG because the designers favor evil.

I was pointing out that MAG are less versatile than NEC because MAG are pet class beast mode and it would be OP if they had more abilities.

You are I are in agreement.
    Treiln likes this.
  5. Astefin Journeyman

Solo, most time necromancers (fixed) are better. In group, most times mage is better. Solo for AAs, 9 times out of 10, the necro will gain faster due to root/rotting and stacking multiples that don't summon. Mage doesn't have that.

But utility, mage is far ahead. Mod rods, every mana class should love the mod rods, group perm casts of both invisibility ( live & undead), damage shield spells that constantly get asked for, an aura to raise pet dps, pet summoned hear that every other pet class needs, the of many line triggers theft of essence pet buff, coth/group call of the hero.

For a boxer, call of the hero might be the best ability in the game. Mage pet is simply better also with the ability to change pets on the circumstances. Hard named tank? Earth. Regular grinding and tanking? Air. Have a tank and need bit more dps? Water.

Necromancer is an amazing solo class and absolute powerhouse dps on fights that take over 90 seconds to 2 minutes, but that is where necros utility ends. Their buffs? Dead man floating... They can summon corpses? Guild lobby can do that. They can rez? Healer merc, cleric, shaman, druid, paladin can all do it better.

Depending on your playstyle is what really determines which class is better. If you are anti-social and anti-box? Necro all day!
    If you want to group, box, or sell pet gear in bazaar all day? Usually mage.

That is not to say either class can't be swapped, it is just each have their wheel house and performs those intended jobs better than the other.

Also, everquest moved away from good vs evil a LONG time ago. If you want that, go play WoW. EQ is a group together regardless of background to grind the day away, not a I am good! You die now! Type of game.
    Vumad likes this.
  6. Pentasol Journeyman

Playing several characters at the same time in an MMO is one of the dumbest ideas I've ever heard of.

So is playing with a fake cleric.

The social aspect suffers greatly from all this automation that's been added.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure about you but I am not sure of the last time I have heard of a necro (or anyone else) needing to use a spell to find a corpse. Also everyone can summon corpses with the aid of the the guild lobby and rez with a merc or rez token. Being able to summon corpses can be a useful tool but nothing major for them to have. And unless it changed so they no longer need essence emeralds to rez people that isn't always usable.
  8. Pentasol Journeyman

Why have useless things in the game taking up valueable resources? It sounds wasteful. But so does crapping on something you create which is what you're saying they did.

Every expansion destroys the previoous one, so can you imagine all the empty zones just sitting there taking up space for nothing?

Waste is evil too. There's the bias again.

Those spells were very useful at one time for team evil. Has the leopard changed its spots?

I think not.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Things change and not everything will always be useful. As for the zones that is expected to happen as once you level up the old zones hold no value.
  10. Pentasol Journeyman

The sun will always be useful and multi-purpose and FREE for all. It will never be left to waste, and that's because business didn't create it and why it's free for everybody and everybody gets a share.The same with the air supply you enjoy gratis.

But business doesn't care.so it's wasteful, that's why it has a bias for evil because it favors itself. Yet it pretends not to be evil. How sad. It can't be itself. It has to pretend to be good.

Things can change for the worse OR for the better. There's two ways, not just one. Having hundreds of empty zones is wasteful. It's BAD and I don't mean in a MJ way. Waste is fugly. And it will only get worse. Abandoning your own creations is stupid. So is not having an official classic server. People have to go to an emulated server to play classic EQ, more stupidity.

Microsoft intentionally abandoned Windows 7 by writing code to make it obsolete to sell a rebranded version.

Evil.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Not sure what your point is and why games evolving and making quality of life improvements for everyone that removes the need for some older things is a bad thing.
  12. Alnitak Augur

Can we all agree on something ?
    S T O P
    F E E D I N G
    T H E
    T R O L L

Woot! I was helpful this time!
    Kaenneth, Roxas MM and Tatanka like this.
  13. Astefin Journeyman

Agreed.... sorry I added my 2 cents above for the troll.
  14. Vumad Cape Wearer

Silly statement in a thread about the best solo class. The only thing dumber than boxing is playing Solo.

In the context of MMO and DPG favoring evil, truth is, NEC / SHD abilities are about them being isolated. They offer the least to the group and their abilities reflect their loaner nature. They are hated and disdained and are the least MMO characters in the game.

EverQuest doesn't love Evil class. It hates them. It gives them a few tools to isolate themselves for independence. All of the NEC / SHD are in sewers and other isolated locations. If your argument is about MMO being played with other people, NEC simply doesn't shine. Any abilities they have for utility are worse than any other class that has those abilities.

NEC is an exceptional class, and an exceptional solo class, but as an MMO class, they lack. Their abilities are selfish and go against the very nature of an MMO, from a lore perspective.

PS. Boxing and solo are not synonymous. Many people box with other people, often using boxes to fill out missing group members, and dropping boxes when players log in.
  15. Treiln Augur

So in order to care about EQ, you have to have wanted it to stagnate and not create any expansions whatsoever and never have it move past the original zones and characters and spells because doing so means it’s a waste of money.

And there are people who’ve been playing this game for 23 years. They’ve seen all the changes. They have the memories and the experience to compare new EQ to old EQ. P99 exists. TLPs exist. There’s plenty to compare the new to the old. It’s just some people prefer modern EQ to having to sit for hours with your spell book open to Regen enough mana to cast two more spells.

TL;DR - secret “p99” is better thread
  16. Pentasol Journeyman

A few tools? SK are loners? Yeah right. That'st why they're so popular as a group tank. Pfft. I had an SK who was a beast at tanking and he could kill the entire zone solo.

By the way, controlling a single character is more natural than controlling several. Don't agree? Go try controlling 6 of you IRL and let me know how it goes.

Funny story. I went to Rivervale and saw evil Iksars hunting good guards, it was very lucrative for them. I saw them hunting good guards in HHK too and the good treants in SK. Lots of cash. Lots of happy evil races. The Iksar guards had empty pockets. Evil is stingy.

Not only that but there's a banking trick so evil races can bank in good cities and like you said, some things don't mean much now like evil FACTION. Being evil has no consequences. On the contrary, it's rewarded.

PS. Humans were made blind with no racial traits. Iksar were made with innate AC and REGEN.

PPS. Sometimes solo is good. Someetimes it's you're only choice. But you're still only controlling one character. Anymore is unnatural, evil.
  17. Pentasol Journeyman

• There's too little.
    • There's just right
    • There's too much.
    • P99 = Too little.
    • Your new age version of EQ = Too much.
    Adding too much of something can ruin a good thing. Don't believe me? Go make a tasty meal and empty a sack of salt over it then eat it. Every EQ expansion is a pinch of salt if you enjoy the original design.

If you're a hamster then you will love each new expansion because you're getting a new treadmill every year. Now you have a house full of treadmills you never use because each new treadmill makes the last one obsolete.

You don't even need to run on the treadmill anymore, just insert credit card and it will do it for you.
    Arkanny likes this.
  18. Rizzin Elder

Necros can turn pretty much any mob undead and then slow them. Also, while a Mage pet is summoned by default stronger due to gear, give the Necro pet mage summoned gear and they are close to the same (outside of individual skills like root, stun, bash and backstab).
    Pentasol likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.