nagafen new strategy (wall pet down)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by magione, Jul 3, 2015.

1. Hateseeker Augur

Add a deathtouch that instakills a pet every 30 seconds. If necessary make it do 3 at once. And for mobs that already have one, make it a separate one that goes off concurrent.
  2. Asheran Augur

That would do very little.

Here is what people don't seem to understand:

Naggy, Vox, Inny, CT, Sky Bosses, Phinny, and the Kunark dragons are all very simple encounters, situated in easy zones. Using mage pets to kill them is just a convenience, as people leveled groups of mages for farming group content, planar trash / minis, and gems / plat.

Even if Daybreak manages to find a way to nullify people's ability to use pets to kill them (without destroying the usefulness of pet classes), that won't suddenly mean these bosses truly need 50+ people to kill them. In their current state, both vox and naggy could be killed by 10 characters, or less, without a single mage.

If you want to see real raiding, or at least bosses that aren't trivial to a small number of people with very little gear, then you will be waiting a while. That doesn't start until Velious.
    Aryabear likes this.
  3. Hateseeker Augur

True. And I could say, why don't we start with Velious, or with abbreviated 6 weeks Classic/3 months Kunark to get us to the good raiding fast, but...if some people are to be believed, no one would have signed up for the server at all if they didn't have 6 months of Classic.

And, I still believe, that IF there is any truth (and I don't agree that there is, but I'm open to the possibility) to the claims that people start leaving after GoD because of instancing, then, I say, Daybreak should look into the possibility of UN-instancing each expansion after that for the first 3-4 weeks. Those are my favorite expansions (GoD through...hmm...DoDH maybe), so anything that helps stay populated then would be great.
  4. Ironfoot Elder

The lack of English here hurts my brain.
  5. Ironfoot Elder

Or... why dont we just not give a fxxk about stuff thats worthless in 30 days.
  6. Asheran Augur

I agree that the server should have launched with at least Kunark available, if not Velious. If it started with Velious, I would have been happy with a full year lock before Luclin.

Also, I am one of those people that hates the instancing route. I wish they would uninstance all of the zones. I have never been a fan of the trend toward instancing in MMOs...it ends up with dungeons, raids, and boss fights feeling choreographed.
  7. Darth Augur

Modest Man didn't kill Lord Nagafen with Mage pet walls.

They DPS raced a traditional guild and won, when the other guild let all their melee die.

There was a tank on Nagafen. It wasn't a MM tank, but a tank none the less.
  8. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

I wish you were there to tank for us, Darth.
  9. Darth Augur

I would entertain merc work for a sizable payout.
  10. Warrior007 53 61 74 6f 73 68 69

Is there a refund policy if Kasekn does a better job?
  11. Burned2357 New Member

lol MM would not be competition for TL. They cant even come close to competing with faceless. They only beat AD, cause of their poor strategy.
  12. Protocol Dragon Defender

I agree with most of your posts, but Velious is probably one of the worst expansions for raiding imo. I mean it's awesome in the sense that there is actually a ton of raiding to do but all of the encounters pretty much feel like the same thing with a new character model. Granted this isn't much different but I always felt like it was more noticeable in Velious just because you finally had fights that took a while.

I bet we could mage wall the majority of Velious if DBG doesn't buff those encounters.

I felt like "real raiding" really started in Demiplane with encounters like Redfang, Hatchet, Performer and Mayong.

For reference
  13. taliefer Augur

its not exactly citizen 2.0 over there. theres some of the same people, but their main focus is still on fippy.

on a related note, if this doesn't show how absolutely asinine the ruleset is on these servers, I don't know what will.

"dps race" mobs, so dumb. dps is only 1 factor in killing a mob, why is that the deciding factor, and not who took the most damage, or who healed the most is . its dumb, and only encourages heavy dps classes as the only classes that matter.

edit: sub in a new word, cause political correctness
  14. Zert Journeyman

fixed issues with ppl training charm pulling mobs etc but suspend ppl for 4 days for calling them a f_gg_t
  15. Skipper Augur

Well, it's now a pc world.

[IMG]
  16. drew0987654 Augur

ITT: casuals who think they have the strategy to fight naggy
  17. Asheran Augur

Well, Velious doesn't have super complex raids, and pet walling may be technically possible, but I think it will be significantly more difficult. At the very least, it has harder hitting bosses, with way more health, and trash that isn't completely trivial (flurry drakes in NTOV for example).

The combination of that, plus the fact that tanks and melee will scale with scale very well with the gear they obtain in Kunark and Velious, but mage pets will not, should make using real tanks, and melee dps, the smarter option. Avatar of War may be the one exception to that, even though he is likely to one round pets pretty often, simply because he can chew through tanks so easily. However, that fight would take a very large number of mages, and they would need to be pretty well geared to keep up with chain summoning long enough to drop him.

Well, DPS is already coded into the game for determining who gets exp \ loot, so it is the deciding factor by default. Also, you can't heal a mob to death, nor should a group be awarded for TAKING more damage (aka, getting hit by more AEs, having lower resists and mitigation, using poor strategy, etc.).

To change that rule in a way that would be truly enforceable would require Daybreak to truly end socking. As long as mobs are socked, then dps racing is the only way for guild A to have a chance of getting the mob that guild B is socking. Maybe the new variance on spawn times will create enough randomness in the spawns that the perma-sock guilds will be forced to start racing to mobilize, which could open the door for "first in force" or "first to engage" rules...but I'm not holding my breath. Unless the variance is really, really random (random enough that 3 Naggys spawning before a Vox spawns wouldn't be considered strange), then there probably aren't enough bosses in Classic to really have a huge impact.
  18. Brogett Augur

By the same logic, a solo player has fewer members than a raid, so of course you can't expect them to use strategy "X". If they find a new strategy that works then frankly it's a valid strategy...

Slippery slope Aryabear! I don't buy your logic. It's flawed and leads to full blown cheating and hacks being considered valid too. An exploit is an exploit.