Mystical Intervention

Discussion in 'Priests' started by Brohg, Nov 14, 2015.

1. Brohg Augur

isn't named Ardent Intervention, and I don't know why. anybody?
  2. Crystilla Augur

No clue. I did bring it up immediately in TDS beta that the contravention broke tradition and didn't use the same name as the intervention - but the interventions have never matched the "light" spell either; it's always been different.
  3. Clarisa Augur

That's a great observation. The spell dev could have made things easier on himself and us if he had matched the names of our heals and just used a different adjective instead of trying to match the naming pattern he used when he first created the spell. Then he'd only need to come up with new adjectives every expansion instead of increasingly obscure synonyms for "recovery":

Current:

Spiritual Remedy
    Word of Convalescence
    Ardent Light
    Ardent Elixir
    Mystical Intervention
    Promised Rehabilitation
    Syllable of Convalescence
    Ardent Acquittal
    Convalescent Splash
    Fervid Renewal
    Ardent Contravention
    Word of Greater Reformation (he finally ran out of "recovery" synonyms and just added "greater" to the synonym used in the previous expansion)

Revised:

Ardent Remedy
    Ardent Surge of Health (or some other new word besides "Surge" to describe our non-curing group heal)
    Ardent Light
    Ardent Elixir
    Ardent Intervention
    Ardent Promise
    Ardent Syllable of Health
    Ardent Acquittal
    Ardent Splash
    Ardent Renewal
    Ardent Contravention
    Ardent Word of Health

It might seem more boring, but since clerics usually use a combination of old and current expansion heals, it'd make it a lot easier to tell them apart (my "Ardent" set of heals for this expansion, my "Reverent" set from last expansion, instead of a bunch of random names no one remembers). And he could have used "Mystical" for a whole set of spells next expansion instead of just 1!
    Brohg and Iila like this.
  4. Tour Augur

I don't know how long it takes the devs to come up with names for spells, but taken across all classes it has to be a non-trivial amount of time that a more simplified process like above would help alleviate. Even if it only saved them a very small amount of time, I'm sure there is something else that that freed up time could go towards, easily.
  5. Iila Augur

I guess you didn't see Aristo's progress on naming spells during the TDS beta? That took over a week, afair.

A spell that's just another 10% upgrade isn't special, it doesn't need yet another synonym or alliterative name that's going to mentally be replaced by me thinking "105 quick heal". I'd rather seen numbers or the EQ aza, beza style rank sequence used with the best name of the spell series.
    Brohg likes this.
  6. Brohg Augur

Ditto. Yaulp XIII works for everyone, Healing Light XIII can too. If they were feeling super wild they could break out their voting apparatus and let the classes pick their own favorite of each line's historical name
    Silv, Riou and Iila like this.
  7. Roxxanna Augur

But being confusing is much more fun, maybe they should name all our spells in the Arx Mentis style.
    Silv likes this.
  8. Crystilla Augur

Oh bite that tongue girl!
    Silv likes this.
  9. Brohg Augur

Bump, still bugs the out of me every time I have to load spells