my wizardly questions freshly 100

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Boomboom, Dec 10, 2012.

1. Boomboom New Member

1) got the final flappy familiar and the buff reads up to 95 spells...is this a typo or did I spend those aa's for nothing?...yes I double checked...maybe it is working just hasnt upgraded the buff?

2) my new ethereals; ...while in *new raid * (Temple of Fear's Fall) the ethereals hit for the group version and not the raid version (extremely powerful foes)....they are raid bosses that drop t1 gear

3) I thought devs were going to throw us some aa's to lower our fury line to better line up with our "disc/burn" is it inc???

4) aggggggrrrrrroooooooooo ( might be from tanks not having quite the gear they need yet ...dunno) yes in groups I use concuss, and I have even used skullfreeze ....eeek. along with the aa reduction abilities (and the tear LoN item) (I am almost max aa)....ps claw aggro reduction proc is nice but it cant be essential

thank you so very much for your time Norrathians
    gnomishly yours
    Boomboom
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

1) The familiar was updated, Elidroth just forgot to update the spell description, (again).

2) How do you know this?

3) No classes got new AAs at launch. Elidroth is going to be adding more soon, and is hosting open IRC chat discussions for suggestions, this is on my list. The Wizard chat is Dec. 19, 10am - 7pm pst.

4) There is a bug with aggro on the new Ethereals. It has been reported and they are working on a fix.
  3. Fansy Augur

Wizards are not on team evil but........Are the devs also aware that the mana cost on these new nukes needs to go up drastically, like double, as guilds are already seeing wizards chain cast these nukes for 2, 3 or even 4 minutes? Far from the 60-90 seconds of amazing burst but then OOM that was intended or explained. Instead guilds are seeing spikes at or above other burst capabilities and sustained at necro levels. This all comes only a few weeks into the expansion when most of the other burst and sustain tools haven't even been picked up yet like current focus effects, bp's, rk 3 spells, various clickies or even with all existing AA lines being purchased or tweaked. Never mind the requests to come at the AA IRC chat this week that will no doubt make these have even bigger booms that go on for an even longer period of time.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

When Aristo actually makes the damage worthwhile on them, then he can adjust the mana cost even higher. Rogues can still consistently outburst Wizards by a decent margin, as I said would happen during Beta. Wizards' ability to sustain went up by a decent amount, but it is still nowhere near a Necro sustaining 60k+.

You might need to join a raid guild to see that though, Falore.
  5. fransisco Augur

oh nos! Wizards are competing with melee now? Heaven forbid? It might even get to the point its mean to - where melee cannot outdo casters.
  6. Fansy Augur

With no one having rk 3 fire yet, no current focus yet for mana and spell haste, toons that have just gotten to level 100 so not many new AA purchased. I have already seen spikes in the sub 60 second range of 140-185K which is fine but that will still go up more with rk 3 fire, aa's and current focus. Again no issue with this but melee burst might if you start regularly hitting 190-200K and they still hover at 150-170K. I also have seen multiple parses from multiple wizards greater than 120K for well into 120-180 second durations. Wizards are not on team evil and they don't really need nerfs after finally reclaming the burst throne but the nukes mana costs atm do not prevent you from chaining them for extended perionds of time, these changes came with the agreed stipulation that you would be out of mana for that burst at the 60-90 second range if you only chain casted these nukes for the huge spikes. That is not the case right now. Don't pull a rog crt move.
  7. Boomboom New Member

thnx for the reply .....#2 I know because I looked at my; damage on the boss dragons vs dmg of t1 raid encounters, its the group version ethereals for me.

as for the melee...wait till you get your weapon upgrades, our new foci give us a edge at the beginning of every expansion, nothing new

thanks <3 Boomer :)
  8. Reht The Dude abides...

Wow, you have seen spike in 140-185k in the sub 60 sec range? I have seen that with rogue and berzerker without new raid weapons or discs do that in this expansion. What do you classify as well into the 180 sec duration? 121, 130, 145, etc. sec? Did they tell you their total casting time or did you just go on the total time a mob has been engaged? There can be a huge difference. I have parsed 180 sec fights where someone has casted for 90 sec of it and it shows their DPS at 130k for the 90 sec, not the scaled DPS for 180 sec (which was significantly lower).

I have RK3 Ethereal Incandesence and Ethereal Hoarfrost + T2 Raid Robe and T2 Raid gloves. I know what they do and Beimeith's estimations have been pretty close.
    Beimeith and Pirlo like this.
  9. Explicit Augur

Please go away. Nuke costs are fine and scaled with the damage they provide, as mentioned by Beimeth already.

Don't make a claim that Ethereals should cost twice the mana without also requesting that melee disces cost fifteen times the endurance -- it'd only be fair right?

Oh wait, no it wouldn't. Melee would still outburst wizards.
    Pirlo likes this.
  10. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Several people have Rk. III spells and focii, and many more had Rk. III spells and focii on Beta, where they were tested and parsed by various people. The top a Wizard can do in RoF is ~135k dps +/- 5k. This was worked out mathmatically before the spells even were available to obtain in Beta, and then confirmed through actual parsing in Beta, and on live as Reht has said.

If you are seeing higher than that, there is something else at work, like the mob is "weak" to certain spells and takes extra damage, the person is faking it, (/emoting extra damage into the parser), or you are reading the parser results incorrectly. If you truly believe you are seeing this, post a parse, along with the actual log file, and/or tell me exactly what they were doing so I can replicate it. Until then I will be skeptical as all other evidence is to the contrary.
    Pirlo likes this.
  11. Beimeith Lord of the Game

We are doing NToV tonight I believe after we do Xorbb3. I will check it then and get back to you.

I asked how you know because it can be difficult to tell with random damage focii equipped. The only way to be sure, is to take off your focus items so that your spells all hit for the same damage every time. Then you can compare the values between a raid mob and a non-raid mob.

For example: Ethereal Incandescence Rk. I (all I have atm), does 26,342 damage non-raid with 451 spell damage and no focus effects on. On a raid mob it does 32,778 with 451 spell damage and no focus effects on. If when we go to NToV, I hit for the first one instead of the second one, I will know for sure it isn't working properly.

So that said, was it a specific one, or all of them? (I'd rather not unequip a bunch of items to test every fight).
  12. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Was this purely with their own mana or were they getting a helping hand from other classes? Chanter 2nd spire, bard mana song, Beastlord Para, Cleric also give mana but the name escapes me, mage rods. Did they use staunch recovery? Did they use clickies or potions which return mana?
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Confirmed tonight that NToV dragons except Vulak don't have the raid tag, and Elidroth said this was intentional.

This is the EXACT reason why I didn't want this crap in the first place. It should be regular damage always and only.
    gnomeboss likes this.
  14. Naugrin Augur

These are the type of raid fights that we should accel on. What kind of thought process leads to these dragons not being raid boss flagged? For some reason we want necros to burn these, we want melee to burn these, but not wizards. No we don't want wizards to burn mobs that can be burned.

Personally, I think the lore aspect makes little to no sense. Why can I do more damage to mobs that are vastly more powerful? A lot of us were concerned with this method of fixing wizards. Most of us thought, "what will they forget to flag?" but instead we get intentional misflagging. Is the idea only to hamstring wizards?

If having the raid boss damage work on all mobs is too much (I don't think it is), how about ALL raid flagged mobs, not just raid boss.

Finally do we have a fix for the agro issues created by our ethereals? Because, in short, the agro being generated by this bug is beyond ridiculous.
  15. menown Augur

Swift Dots have had the same problems on all raids since they were introduced. I used them for trash mobs before the main raid boss would go live. However, many trash mobs had the raid tag on them still. When reporting these issues I was given a "this is intended" response.

Falore go away you troll.
  16. Fansy Augur

I just can't do it captain, no logs or parses will be shown. Burst regardless of what it turns out to be on average is fine if its 145K or 200K most could care less except some rog crt's. Wizards should be the best at blowing ship up fast. The whole point to my comment was related to chain casting two etherals for up to 4 minutes for vastly improved sustained as well. The way this change was explained is wizards wanted their bang back which they got and it could be bigger for all I care if 145K is the avg but the tradeoff for that bang improvement was you were out of mana 60-90 seconds into the fight. This was regardless of what clickies, support, glyphs, pots you used. You are getting bigger bang but then were supposed to be out of gas after. Out of gas part isn't occuring. Bei even stated that if the changes were done right it meant the end of the days of simply chain casting 2 nukes for every fight. If the event wasn't burst you had to adjust from just using 2 nukes to do your best. That is not whats going on and why I posted.

Yes the wizards had enchanter, bard and mod rods. I do not know if they used staunch or clickies or mana pots from what I am seeing. However they still should not be able to chain cast the 2 upgraded nukes for up to 4 minutes. They are using: PD, Twincast, Improved Twincast, Ro, Force, 2nd spire, RoF robe and chain casting 2 RoF etherals non stop without issue on every fight no matter if its 60 seconds or 240+ seconds. Thats not getting more bang and running out of gas thats simply getting a giant improvment in power with no tradeoff. Which would be fine if thats the path explained by aristo and bei when these changes were asked for. Instead what happened was Aristo agreed to improve burst to X amount but with the tradeoff of being out of mana by Y. Aristo made the changes saying the changes should hurt the mana pool enough that you were to then use the other tweaked nukes for sustained. If there was no tradeoff aristo would not have made the changes and right now in game there is no tradeoff.

Edited - To reflect what was actually said but that can't be quoted here. Bei actually said he was fine with Aristo's intention of big blast but out of mana after but that you needed even more blast to catch up to what melee were already capable of. But the point of my post and the point that aristo made was these nukes were supposed to put you out of mana and not be sustainable. So it sounds like you need more damage added if your still behind. But my point still remains that mana costs needs to be somewhere in the neighborhood of doubled as you can already sustain them for 4 minutes.
  17. Beimeith Lord of the Game

1. No proof = no credibility = likely you are just trolling
    2. Aristo never said 90s to out of mana. *I* suggested that spamming Ethereals run you out in ~90s.
    3. The above suggestion I made was predicated on the cast times of the spells being reduced to 3s, (aka casting more nukes in 90s) AND the base damage going up by 10k, AND the mana cost going up an additional 250. None of these happened.
    4. The above suggestion made no account for Harvests, as the idea was NOT to put us out of the fight forever, but to use Ethereals on the 90s burn, harvest, then switch to the new sustainable spells for the rest of the event.
    In short, you don't know what you are talking about, and you should stop now. You got the attention you wanted from us, go away.
  18. Fansy Augur

Yes, thats it brush the troof away. I guess my assumption that wizards are not on team evil my have been to big a generalization. I stated my point and hopefully the devs and review or respond. Will send my point in PM's to avoid the hate and will leave you to keep your heads in the sand.

I do see however that most of those accusing me of calling for nerfs were in beta. I highly suggest you go back to the beta boards and read what Aristo posted related to your ethereals and his changes. You chain casting them for 4 minutes 3 weeks into the expansion does not fit the description he had. How you used etherals in the past and whether you need more base damage on them is another point. The change he discribed said you should no longer be able to sustain them thats what your other nukes are now for again.
  19. Naugrin Augur

I have a pretty big mana pool, I can absolutely drain it during a burn. If they increased the cost more, I doubt group geared wizards would make it through a burn before goin oom. You DO realize prolonged destruction already increases the huge mana cost these nukes have right?
  20. Boomboom New Member

I am very taken back at Elidroths decision to pick and choose what RAID bosses gets full strength nukes and what RAID boss does'nt, makes me feel like I don't wanna put forth the effort on bosses (where melee #$%# us on the dmg anyway), as a low end raiding wizard who's guild doesnt skip Veeshan its noticable....hell I noticed it after the first night and had to tell the end game wizards (they were prob. doing "progression") ...please throw us a bone

thnx
    Boomboom Evernurfd :(