My thoughts on overseer

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tassio, Apr 7, 2020.

1. Tassio Lorekeeper

You decided to reduce the amount collectable items that can be obtained. While some won't agree, I can see the need, it was too high. However by making it a 25% or 50% random chance, you make it annoying. How many times do people log in, find 5 complete tasks and get 5x "Crumbles to dust" and get annoyed? EQ is a game, it's meant to be fun not a source of frustration. If you want to reduce how many items can be gained by this method, then please put them back to 100% and increase the duration timer to say 47 hours for a collectable task and then go back to giving two for a critical success.

Most people who do overseer tasks will be trying to get 5 tasks of one type. For some it will be tradeskill items, for others it will be collectables and for the rest it will be exp or merc exp. Finding 5 tasks of one type takes time. As you have to do overseer tasks at least once a day for some task types and two or three times for other tasks, having to go through upto 25 tasks to find the 5 you want gets tedious. Then once you have found tasks of the type you want, you randomly find that you don't have any agent available. Can we have tasks marked with a) what reward type they are and b) if they are actually possible with the available agents? An icon within the task title box maybe. Just something to stop you having to click every task and then preview reward then check if there is a correct agent available.

Working out which agents to use is another boring time sink. Can we have agents correctly sorted by how much they increase % chance of success? Then second and third agents sorted by how much they add to the % chance of success. Having to click through anything upto 20 agents to find the one that is the highest % is not fun after the first few days.

Why are we penalized for having agents that are too good? If the best agent in the list gives 86% or lower chance we are allowed a second agent, but if the list of agents contains one somewhere that has a higher chance, the second agent is not available and we have to go with what is effectively a penalty. Note: Yes I know occasionally you can get a second agent with 88% and occasionally a second agent is denied even down to 84%, but that is not the point here.

Many (but not all) people just play at certain times of the day. By using multiples of 6 hours you introduce "drift" to timings, especially the 24 hour tasks. It can take a few minutes to find the correct 5 tasks that have agent available then work out which agents give the the highest chance of success. Lets take an example: Person X plays quite a lot at weekends but just 30 minutes a day midweek. If each day the time they can start their 24 hour tradeskill task moves by 5 minutes per day, then after a few days they have to miss a day. Change the times to be just under a 6 hour multiple, 5 hours 30 mins, 11 hours 30 mins, 23 hours, 35 hours, 47 hours etc.

Finally fix the bugs.

Frequently I set 5 tasks running on each of 3 accounts and the following morning find two accounts missing a task and the 3rd account has 7/5 tasks.

Randomly I set 5 tasks running and the following morning one or two are missing, but days later they appear and I have 6/5 or 7/5 tasks complete.

Randomly I get the result of the same conversion task twice, a few days appart. Clicking collect reward gives me the same 3 agents deleted and another random one rewarded.
  2. Fredescu Augur

On your first point, they've said here that they're changing collectibles to award you a fragment. Four fragments get you a dispenser. This is a much better way of doing it since it results in a lot less rng frustration. Won't be in until next patch though I believe.
    eepok likes this.
  3. Darchon_Xegony Augur

I think the fact that people are generally speaking focusing on a specific task type is an important note.

Some want Collects, some want ornaments, some want Tradeskill components, some want EXP, some want Merc EXP, and some want Currency.

For the first two groups of people, the amount of collectible and ornaments awarded per mission is stagnant as you level. This makes it such that new players without any levels in the associated mission types are better equipped to obtain those items. This is because as you level up in a tier you are only getting offered those higher tier missions which often require multiple higher tier agents and you often don’t have access to the necessary agents to run many of the missions.

I’d suggest making each level offer an additional fragment for collectibles or an additional ornament selector. So a level 3 trade task would offer 3 fragments of collectibles. Critical successes would double whatever you were to receive.

Another issue I think is that you’re offered a fixed number of tasks, about 15-20. I think that it would be better if everyone is offered level 1 tasks always and when you level up to other levels those new higher level tasks are offered in addition, not in replacement of the other tasks. So if you level to 2 in explore you continue getting the level 1 explorer tasks but you also get some additional level 2 explorer tasks.

If they made this change it would be nice to offer a way to filter the tasks you’re able to view by type. A player with all max levels would have a huge number of tasks to pick from and being able to filter for the type you’re interested in would be great

For the Tradeskill rewards they need to add additional older expansion rewards. OOW augments, TSS Gems (tasfeite, harmonagate, prestidigitase, staurolite), OOW smithing/tailoring/pottery, DoN forages and dropped stuff, PoP everything. That would be a good start.

For the overseer vendor add more group currencies beyond just brews. Add fragments of legendary alaran history. Add the RoF, TDS and RoF Powersources. Maybe add some random augments that you can’t buy with other currencies.
  4. Daedly Augur

My thoughts...

Give it it's own forum subsection...
  5. Killaas_FV New Member

I just want a damn recruit fighters quest. Haven't had one in 13 consecutive days now!
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Associated question:

I just started Overseer stuff a couple days ago. I've had 5 successful collection quests, 3 critical. So far, I can't see any feedback or items. Do I just assume I failed the rolls (all 5, sux to be me, I guess), or did I get results and I'm not looking in the right place, or what? It would be nice if the logs showed that I failed the roll, so I don't spend all this time looking around for a result which probably isn't there.

Edit: To clarify, for all 5 quests, I see a line like this:
    You have successfully been granted your reward for: Any Profit is Good Profit

So, does that mean I got the collection dispenser, and just can't find it (for whatever silly reason), or does that just mean I got the agent XP, etc, but did fail the roll, and it just doesn't tell me that?

Bottom line: someone tell me what happens when you DO get your collection dispenser, so I know what to look for. Thanks
  7. Velisaris_MS Augur

When you collect the reward, you'll either get the dispenser reward window to choose which expansion you want, or you'll get a chat message that says something to the effect of "Bad luck, the container crumbles to dust."

Crumble messages mean you get squat. And yes, I've had 5 collectible quests running on 3 accounts, and had all 15 give me the "crumbles" message.
  8. Visitor Augur

Make a note once you finish a quest, and click on it, a reward box comes up. For other then recruit tasks, there are options, with experience as first choice and auto selected, if you want Trades , Tetras, or a Dispenser, you have to choose that option.
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Ok so say you win "Any profit" You will now have a reward in your old quest reward window so bring that up. If you wanted say the collectable then you would choose collectable and over on the right it will show what your chance is 25% 50% etc. So you choose that.

Now if you did not get the message about crumbles to dust you go back to your inventory and you will find another item that you open (it can have different icons) and click claim on like those little square buttons that say convert.

Now go back to quest rewards and you will see the different expansions listed in a new reward. Choose one and again back to inventory to open that one

and then back to rewards to chose which item you want from that collection.

I may be off on some of the steps :confused: cause it seems a pain to do all this but it boils down to:

Look in inventory
    Look in quest reward screen
    rinse repeat

Also I thought I saw something that you can only have one collectable reward at a time long ago but am sure this has changed by now.
  10. forum troll Elder

Would be nice if when we get critical success in a recruit mission it actually granted us our bonus agent
    Sokki likes this.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Well, it's a mystery, then.

I DEFINITELY chose the collection reward. I searched my log (using GamParse), and there were no "crumble" messages. Nothing ever appeared on my cursor, nothing in my inventory. I tried the find item window, using "collect" and "dispense", and nothing. I manually brought up the quest rewards window (using the EQ button), and it immediately disappears, but not before I can see that there's nothing in it.

At this point, I'm stymied. Really takes the bloom off the Overseer rose for me, tbh.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, that's the start of where it goes wrong for me. I choose the collectible option, but the right side never says anything about 25% or 50%.
  13. forum troll Elder

How about adding some of the GM ornament rewards to the overseer vendor like the elvish longsword (or whatever the name of the one with the centi longsword graphic is called)
    Hegsheoshed and Sumteengex like this.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

OK, mystery solved, now I just have to figure out how to fix it. Trying to attach screenshot.

Sorry, don't know how to scale it down.

As you can see, when I select "Collection Item Dispenser" on the left, on the right it shows it's going to give me 375 Overseer coins (drachm-whatevers).

So, has anybody else seen this bug? I'd rather be getting my chances at collection items than getting the coins.

BTW, if I select the "Overseer Tetradrachm" reward, the reward is a higher number of coins (500 or 750, depending on the mission).

OK, wouldn't let me post the screenshot, "too big", whatever. Hopefully my description here gives you an idea of what's happening.
  15. Barraind Grumpy Old Bastage

Going to guess you're free to play, so you dont get the bonus rewards on a live server.

Not sure why it still gives you the option for it, since they can hide the tradeskill items, but this whole system is a walking bug-ridden mess that gets emergency patches because oh god tradable collection items almost had a thought of an effect on the economy of a TLP somewhere, but actual bugs like "Not being able to get 2 of the 13 purple agents" get to wait a month, so you can probably throw darts at a board as to why they cant/wont. .

Edit: The fix for the collection item reward being displayed if you cant accept it is tentatively fixed on test (servers crashed before we could check anything and itll probably be rolled back anyway), but it looks like the 2 elite agents is not in this patch.
  16. forum troll Elder

That option will not be there after Lives april patch, Test Just patched and they removed FTP players from seeing collections/ornaments and only offer coin
  17. Sumteengex Journeyman

or the rallos zek shield ornament..
    forum troll likes this.
  18. forum troll Elder

You sir share the vision!
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Barraind, forum troll:

Thanks, I had figured that out after posting in the bug forum and then finding an older post about it. Indeed, the next patch will remove that option for F2P.

Which is good, that will prevent others from wasting time like I did, wondering where the rewards went ;)