my idea to make epic quests much easier to implement

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by quseio, Mar 31, 2013.

1. quseio Augur

This idea i came uo while trying to figure out how we could remove all objections to epic quests

Add this and vendor points for stuff

My idea goes like this epic fights , when you help someone on one you get a point that you can spend on a special aa, and the points are class locked so you just cant find the easiest class epic and farm it, you have to do them all heres how i see it

for one example

For Mages path of the warrior (what i thought the aa would be called cause this one would be gotten by helping warriors) idk give it more skill and mitigation for earth elemental or something warriory
    Thered be ones like Path of the ranger or beastlord and so on
    Allow players to design quests, soe could have a contest design epic quest. Have a client that lets people place premade or custom npcs in a zone add dialog and design items(with a description of what theyd like the effects to be,bam epic quest.

All soe would have to do is check it out, code the boss fight(if they could not do so with the client),clean it up a bit, test and design item, and we got epic quests.
    possible objections
    zone viewer you could use it for one, so what people already have that if they want it

The biggest possible objection i see, unfair player advantage to the creators
    Soe would just have to change where the item droping mobs are, so the creator might know its in x zone but now where or what it spawns off of

I dont want to do quests, don't do it or have a lesser version drop off a raid mob( personally i think that is a incredibly silly objection but ive seen it)

Its alot of codeing, well so what? so is alot of the stuff they've done lately the future of mmos may very well be player created content , alot of people seem to think so.

Players could be designated as quest masters or something, sort of like a voluntair gm , but only to check out the quality of the quest and eliminate trash from takeing soe employees time
  2. Nolrog Augur

Interesting idea. Gives incentive to help others.
  3. Kaylord101 Elder

I thought nearly all epic mobs were soloable but a few with one higher lvl plus the merci...
  4. quseio Augur

i mean for new epics epic 3.0s
  5. quseio Augur

that was the idea nolrog so many people are selfish and dont want to help do epics of any lvl even if it drops a chest cause they cant use any of it

and the idea is it doesnt stop at 1 lvl there would be xx number of lvls of the aas so even when 3.0s are old hat people probably wouldnt mind helping cause oh i still got some aas i could get
  6. CaRnon Augur

REALLY?!?! I thought we were doine with random people aksing for epic 3.0's for the 10billionth time this month..

Sorry.. This is just a horrable idea. but thanks for playing "Who wants to ask for new epics today?"

But good luck... I am sure YOUR idea is the one that is gonna make years of them saying NO to new epics change over night.... I have faith in you... Well not really.. but atleast thank you for giving me a good laugh!
  7. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

This is really two ideas:

1. You're suggesting 16 unique raid events and 256 (16^2) unique AA rewards from said events. While this is probably a smaller task than a whole quest chain for each class, that is still a very substantial amount of work. Last I heard the primary reason epic quests were unlikely to happen is because they require so much investment and each individual player only sees a small piece of that investment come to fruition in the form of content for their class. Rewarding every class for each class' epic quest somewhat alleviates this, but at that point epics aren't even really class specific, but simply a bunch of class-themed content everyone burns through.

2. Having player designed content. This isn't a bad idea, and something other MMOs (even ones by SOE) have been toying with, but most of the allure of epic quests has been their pure quality and, well, epic-ness. While I don't doubt some players have the talent to create content on this level, epic quests probably aren't ideal content to crowdsource like this.
  8. Mysl Augur

Personally, I rather SoE never do another Epic quests. I was in a family guild when 1.0 were current, and the whining was just unbearable. It created a lot of issues. I was then in a family raiding guild when 2.0 were current. The guild officers decided to do the epic for members once they reached the raid stage. Memebers would put in the request, and the officers would call the raids. Once the officers got their epic, they no longer interested in calling the raids, and when members got their epic, they left for other raiding guilds. It was a total whining mess. It make logging in no longer fun during that period of time.
  9. Tobynn Augur

Any time you wish to couple the phrase my idea with the phrase easy to implement, you should just assume you are dead wrong and forego starting the thread in the first place.
  10. Stumphobbler Elder

I love the idea of player made missions/quests in MMO's
    It worked well in City of Heroes with the Mission Architect update.
    Mission Architect was one of the best updates to the game where you can design your own missions/quest, choose your npc's to be in the quest.
    The creator could even select custom dialog or stay with the default. This was popular from the moment of its release in 2009 and still very popular up to the games demise in 2012.

Something like this would work very well in EQ.
    I think S.O.E. (much like NCSoft/Paragon Studios) would be very surprised at the creativity of its players.

I would love to see S.O.E. run with this.
  11. Tulisin_Dragonflame Augur

To be fair, EQ2 already has a dungeon creator which (I believe) was based off the mechanics for their player housing. Since EQ1 now has player housing maybe that could segue into an EQ1 dungeon creator.

I'll be very disappointed if EQNext hasn't learned from its predecessors and doesn't start with some kind of player-generated content in mind.
  12. quseio Augur

Just because you where in a crappy guild doesnt mean the idea cant be a ton of fun especially if the raids are pug friendly. id like to see group demi and endgame versions of 3.0s where endgame would probably just be a drop or 2 from the end boss. If theres incentive to help others beyound loot something theyre going to want to repeat many many times .. i dont see that happening as much if at all

other people saying about thousands of 3.0 posts well how many posts where there for bigger bags before they implemented them ? or houseing, they never thought theyd fix ye old mage double bolt bug then suddenly they found a fix.

epics where some of my best memories in eq arent you tired of bland gear with little or no story behind it?
    Tobynn maybe i am wrong and something else takes majority of the time then what is it ?
    What takes the most time designing epic quests that would be worth knowing!

devs am i right if someone wrote it out set the dialogue set the encounters, designed the loot would it not cut down on your time drasticly?

all they would have to do is tone down or up the effects, set the encounters monsters hp/difficulty to where they want it ,place spawns design new spell effects and maybe a unique monster.

Ill never give up on epics ill always want new ones or long involved quests like the coldain shawls

i wouldnt mind epics chopped up into periodic content like the original coldain shawl was, i forget if the ring was as well.

same ole same ole quests is why so many people have left you can only do so many variations on gather 15 gnoll heads before it gets passae
  13. EverChanter Augur

EQ has become less and less about lore over the last few years, and more about raids. Most of the people will complain that they don't want time and resources going to epics if it affects their precious raids.

I personally would love to see new epics but I don't think it will happen. It took years to get the Epic O tasks in.
  14. quseio Augur

everchanter thats because they had one i think intern? ON HIS SPARE TIME! working on them lol crowd source the quest dialog and quest design and stufff... take out some of that time.

Put some of that darn station cash profiting back into the game !VIVA LA EPICS~
    \
    Charge me and adventure pack for epics quests throw in a zon e or 2 maybe alternate versions of existing zones and it would rock.. bring back epics and youll bring back my interest in the game!
  15. Loratex The Ridiculous Necro

Epics are dead, class specific is dead... Most the the gear is all/all now a days which is complete fail. I've seen the "player based content" they were just as bad as some of eq's designs. The only thing I really see going into this lately is the playerforge weapons. Even the "illusions" are awful as of late. Things that were specific to class either come from a marketplace clickie or you can get in a merc. Unique is long gone from this game.
    EverChanter likes this.
  16. quseio Augur

i miss unique heh i remeber seeing huge darkelfs and wanting a mask so bad but it was ok i could never get one
  17. Selerra Journeyman

I'm all for epic 3.0's, although I understand and respect the work that would go into them. Just writing the lore and dialog alone would take a large chunk of time (although it might be a fun NaNoWriMo competition, haha!), let alone the scripting, setting up the NPCs, loot, and balancing of it all.
  18. FatbukSlapmeat Augur

You miss unique, yet you want Epic 3.0s that everyone would use?
    Sinestra likes this.
  19. Talif Augur

Gold Ticket~
  20. gcubed Augur

Unique is something like the Guktan Pastwatch Eye.
    Epics cease to be unique as soon as the second person gets one.