My #1 and #2 votes for the new TLP

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Zrender, Feb 11, 2023.

1. Zrender Augur

Maybe it's just me but I'd like to see a single box enforced server, possibly relaxing far later. Anyone else want an enforced single box server? Do we think this is even doable by dpg/eg7? Seems to be the route that other mmos are taking little by little. As for the single box eq, p99 seems to be somewhat eating dpg's lunch (considering relative budgets) on player counts based on some supposedly released player numbers from dpg (unique players in a day etc).
    #2 Mischief ruleset (single box or dual box actually enforced)
    No need for bullets here, you know what it is. I would prefer heirloom to free trade loot but whateva. Some new twist would be nice though, maybe account wide keying or no keying or hey maybe tradable zone keys?? I thought Mischief was fun for a while and I did spend near whale amounts on bags and such and know some other people that spent more there than on any other tlp, so I think the concept is solid. It did get a bit old after a while because not many people actually "worked" for their gear but I think I'd go another round on it and I know many others love the ruleset so it would likely be successful. It would probably cause near full desertion of Mischief and a sizable drop on FV though so not sure they will go this route. Conversely, if the new TLP is NOT tradable loot then Mischief will likely see it's numbers increase because the bullet will have been dodged, save goes for FV.

#1 Classic+
    *First of all realize there was huge support for this for WoW so a lot of the concept is already understood by many potential customers. That's free marketing. If you think this is a bad idea then old school runescape would like a word with you ;-P
    *Classic EQ but the expansions are modified so the power creep is far less
    *New zones are added that are in the spirit of classic eq with progressive difficulty
    *Updated shaders, look at the Anarchy Online (another game near EQ era) "new client" to see how much this can insanely improve graphics. Just ambient occlusion and varied colored lighting would go a long way assuming the current geometry would support them.
    *Housing would be a cool addition to this for a lot of people (not everyone of course) and wouldn't effect anything else, could also add housing drops and convenience items.
    *Other modern systems similar to housing that don't effect classic could also be brought in
    *Again, preferably single box or dual box actually enforced

I still think Vaniki was the best TLP so far. It's too bad it was split with the ever popular phinny clone, I feel like if it had been the only choice I think more people would have been fans of it. I liked agnarr and also aradune until it became clear that the 2 box limit was not enforced.

I'll probably take whatever as long as it's not some "seasonal/full boxing/start at level beyond 1/and the like". If it's phinny 100 I'll probably hop on for an exp or two and buy the bags haha.
    Norfestra likes this.
  2. Greensealilly Journeyman

Combined the two and it would be mmo bliss
  3. Appren Gnomercy

No thanks. So called "enforced" anti-boxing would lead to a lot of toxicity, and the report warfare from Aradune would be even worse. Nor do I think the company would want to get into any such venture. First, because they would obviously make much less money due to less active accounts, and due to legality issues - how do you prove 100% someone is boxing, and not playing with their spouse, kids etc?

And finally - why on earth would such a server be wanted in the first place? Boxing is such a great feature especially for those with low playtime, odd hours, and for later in server life.

As for the "classic+" idea, while it sounds cool and all, there is no way they'll spend the money to make another set of lower level zones, especially when there is so many zones to choose from already. They might release a server with TSS areas unlocked but that'd then obsolete far too much older content.
  4. FranktheBank Augur

To answer your questions/statements in order. Cool. It's not just you, it's just a minority of you. It is not doable. "route mmos are taking" seems like a weird phrase. p99 is free and doesnt have to (isnt allowed to) earn profit - you are comparing apples to grapes.
  5. Greensealilly Journeyman

Hmm.. WoW has taken big steps to remove multiboxing over the past year or two so it seems that is a route that is being taken by either the #1 or #2 mmo. Truebox was also a step in that direction. Single box limit that is changed to relaxed truebox later seems like a reasonable idea for a TLP. Probably a lot better than some of the other TLPs that have flopped.
  6. FranktheBank Augur

So "mmos are taking" for you meant just WoW.
  7. Arugula New Member

I don't care if people play 1 char, box, or even bot. If you're respectful & don't monopolize areas, it's all good.

The problem isn't boxing, it's rude players. The problem isn't botting, it's a system that pays you krono for bullying people out of camps.

Mischief's rules were brilliant. You couldn't monopolize loot period. One camp is taken? So what, go camp a different named.

I like mischief. But I'd also be interested to see a normal server with reduced spawn timers & removal of placeholders on certain named. Go ahead & monopolize Phinny for the krono farm. His loot won't be worth squat if he respawns every 15 mins.

Everyone is against boxing/botting until they have to do it themselves. You try leveling on a server with no one to group with. You try doing your epic with no help. You try grouping when you have to take long AFK breaks every hour to deal with a crying baby wanting to be fed & changed. You try finding a group when you're an Australian/EU player who can only play when everyone is asleep at 3am.

I & many others don't have time to wait LFG. When we play EQ, we want to get something done with our 1 hour of free time.

Ban rude players. Ban rude boxers/botters. But allow the responsible boxers/botters to keep on.
  8. Lejaun Augur

That is absolutely it, at least it for me. For the most part, I don't care if people box 1 or 5 or 29 other characters. It doesn't mean that much to me. It's when they disrupt the experience for others where it is the issue.

The big problem with enforcing box rules is that they aren't enforced. Time after time on the "anti-boxing" servers you will face off against an army of botters trying to make some money by monopolizing key spawns. Once it becomes clear a few can get away with it, the server gets flooded with them. For every person boxing to make the best of their limited time playing, there are handfuls of ones exploiting the system to make a quick dollar.
  9. FranktheBank Augur

First, its important to not conflate boxers with botters.

Second, the huge majority of 6 boxers on TLPs are doing so within the rules of truebox. I know of some 12 boxers legitimately.

The earlier in the TLP timeline, the easier it is to box.
    Appren likes this.
  10. Terses Half Elf Warrior of Tarew Marr

I could see this with a server where everything (that drops) is also No Drop.

you want it? figure out where it is, and get it.
  11. Crackers Augur

I'm actually quite surprised this doesn't get requested more. It has virtually no impact on how expansions are beat, but it's an additional income stream for the game. It also feels relatively easy to figure out in the grand scheme.

While I don't think it's feasible to do early in classic without some restrictions (Such as home city only porting back and forth), I think it's still something that should come way earlier. This and custom guild halls.
    Zrender likes this.
  12. Lejaun Augur

I think it falls back into their argument of "It's tied to this expansion so we won't do it." Same reason they say they won't do starting off all classes and race/class combinations.
  13. FranktheBank Augur

It's more likely they don't do housing because housing is actually horrendous for the devs. It's probably one of the biggest headaches they deal with regularly.
  14. EQ Enjoyer New Member

Free trade loot
    Random (mischief) loot
    Fastest XP Gain
    Kunark/Luclin Start
    Fellowships and Campfires enabled day one
    AoCs (private instances) for commonly overpopulated group zones. Think Howling Stones.
  15. MaestroM Augur

I don't know if private instances for normal dungeons is the answer. I do, however, think the /pick thresholds could be lowered quite a bit on yelinak-styled servers. For some zones, there's really only 2-3 camps that people use so if there's more than 18-20 people in zone, its probably over crowded. I don't think it would hurt the game at all to spawn new picks if there's 18 in zone and hold them open with only 6.

I think this would be less of a problem on a server like mischief though, where people can spread out a bit more.
  16. Captain Video Augur

It's already been tried, some years back now, when the pick system was first rolled out. Result was server crashes every 10 minutes. Picks are tuned the way they are now through some rather painful trial-end-error experience some of us had to suffer through. Plus, it doesn't matter if only two or three spots in the zone are being used, the total size of the zone and all its assets are what matters. Splitting zones into multiple pieces is a ton of development work and they won't do it, period. Doubling the server size (memory, # of CPU blades, etc) would make a difference, but the company they outsource it to has this crazy idea that double capacity = double price, and the TLP budget is limited. They would rather do a couple of smaller servers per year than one big server every five years. Those who want to argue about that, leave me out if it, I don't make the decisions. :)

The stupidest idea of all the stupid ideas I see on here is the one demanding private picks. First off, it is impossible for server performance reasons. Second, EQ is still a MMO, it's not a single-player RPG. Those who don't want to join a guild or play with other people are in the wrong game.
    code-zero likes this.
  17. king9933 New Member

Agree ,I don't want to cry for a group for 8 hour again ,wasted my sunday ,wizard b4 60 not that easy to get a good group .
  18. MaestroM Augur

Ahh. Fair enough. Bummer though.