Monks

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Matari, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Matari Augur

So, I have been a caster all my life and finally got bored. I started a monk and I am currently level 74 and should be 85 this weekend. Finished my epic 2.0 and working on 1.0.

So far enjoying the monk. However, many friends are telling me that I am wasting my time with the monk. Why, their DPS that crappy?
  2. Riou EQResource

They are probably upset that Monk is a tier 2 DPS class when the only reason you invite monks to anything for the past like 10 years is to DPS

If you are having fun though, I wouldn't worry about the negative opinions, they will only bring your opinion down with them :p
  3. Matari Augur

Guess that means I'll be boxing for the rest of my existence...
  4. sojuu Augur

You just need a lot of melee support just as every other melee class does. But monks are great dps, high survivability, and a lot of fun to play at least imo. Go with what you like.
  5. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Your "friends" sound like dbags if they wouldn't group with you based on your toon choice.

Monk deeps is respectable, so it's not like you're bringing a ranger or sk to the table or anything!
  6. Matari Augur

No, I bring a mage, druid, ench, and now a monk. :)
  7. Gumlakx Augur

Prior to TDS coming out my lev 100 max AA group geared Monk was sustaining roughly 20K DPS. Monks have competitive DPS, excellent pulling abilities and good defensive options. While I'm not looking to switch from my Berserker main for raiding, I enjoy grouping with my Monk.
  8. Raptorjesus5 Augur

I don't raid so the whole "maximize dps for the sake of all your defense" concept is completely lost on me, no other melee class brings more to the table in my eyes.
  9. A-Quad Augur

only mediocre players rank dps capability by class alone
  10. Zentara Augur

As has been intimated above, dps capability is all about knowing your toon and having the discipline to perform properly. Prior to having to swap to War for raid needs, my monk routinely was top 2-3 in most parses, consistently beating well skilled rangers, mages, and even lazy zerkers/rogues/wizzies.

It's all in how you play, not what you create at character select.