Monk Tanking

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Badname3245, Feb 9, 2018.

1. HeatherPurrs Augur

We just lack agro control when you get right down to it. Yes, we can tank for short periods of time in RoS T2 but not effectively for a long duration grind or mission. There are still named mobs in ros t1 and t2 and anni missions we just can't hang with no matter what we do or wear.
  2. Frogmonk Journeyman

If you are 2 boxing with mercs, wouldn't it possibly be better to run a tank and healer merc? I've been considering leveling up my bard box so that I can have him run the healer merc and songs to boost dps while I run a tank merc and pull mobs in to kill... Just a thought if you are planning on 2 boxing.
  3. monk12 Journeyman

Probably depends on gear and what you're trying to kill. I tried the tank Merc but I found that I had more survivability with myself and two healer mercs, or 1 healer and 1 wiz dps Merc on balance. My tank Merc seems to die in about a second.
  4. Thunderkiks Augur

I have been my groups tank for the past 4 years ( I came back to the game in 2014). I have both a raid geared monk and a group geared monk, same name on 2 different servers. Raid gear makes it much more viable to get most of the content done without the need for a real tank type. I had been able to do all progression and missions up until RoS with my box crew. With RoS the only mission I can box of the 3 (I dont count the 12 man for obvious reasons) is the Goro mission. I made an SK last year when they passed out the free heroics and couldn't believe the difference of being a real tank versus the monk tank. It can still be mostly done with the monk but as it has been mentioned in previous replies, we don't have any aggro abilities, scorp pots and other stuff can help but in the long run if you play with others then you will have to remind them that they have to watch their aggro. Boxing makes it easy as I control all the other toons aggro. Tank mercs are terrible which is why I tried to be the tank in the first place. Much to my surprise I was able to get most stuff done just fine.
    Quatr and Brohg like this.