Monk, part 2

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Matari, Nov 8, 2014.

1. Matari Augur

Recently, I have been playing my monk. I have decided that I want to add my monk to my box, but I am only interested in playing three characters. My current setup is a mage, druid, and chanter. I am going to keep the mage and probably ditch the druid and chanter.

My question - how well can a monk tank post 85? Not interested in a merc tank
  2. Brohg Augur

I hope the answer you're looking for is "better than rogue or berserker"? That's about as much as can be said, I think.
  3. Ploww Lorekeeper

Besides for a few named, I tanked as a monk thru entirety of CoTF. Raid geared however
  4. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Monks can't tank. At all. You are setting yourself up for disappointment if that's your current plan.

And who exactly did you hold aggro over?
  5. fransisco Augur

geared well enough, monks can take damage rather well.
    However, they cannot hold agro over dps classes consistently.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  6. Kiillz Augur

REALLY? Are we talking certain monks? certain type of geared monks? Because I think your gonna have a argument on your hands throughout the community if thats a blanket statement that a monk cant tank AT ALL.

just my 2cp....ive tanked (as I m sure many others have ) in groups just fine if there were no tanks to be had or tank had to afk.....etc.
    Kontra likes this.
  7. SaderakhBertox Augur

Yeah, I think a monk can generate enough hate to keep a mob's attention.

If the group's intent from the onset is that the monk tanks, they know there is no readily available, at-will "taunt button", and will adjust accordingly. They would also know that its less about tanking, and more about killing it before it kills the monk. If nobody talks to each other, or has played together before, it might even be a little messy at first.

A viable group for a lot of things is a monk and a healer merc (like all classes). If you have to skip a named, so be it, that's not progression. If you have to sit and wait 7 minutes, or even 13 minutes to take on the next step because its hard, that's viable too. If you need the healer merc to tank 1, you tank another, while it keeps you both healed, that's viable as well. Add more people, and it just gets even better.

I think people say the things they do with certain ideas in their head, like... must kill them all at once, or one after another w/o break. Well, that obviously changes things. If you say well this can be completed by such and such a setup within the 6 hours given, that changes things too. Making blanket statements like a monk cannot tank at all is just wrong.

I first started putting on raid gear at level 95. It's a little hazy now as that was back in early 2013. I was pulling Corrupted Temple of Veeshan raids, and was also loaded up on as much AC / HP / Heroic Agi I could get a hold of. That's the last raid I can remember that involved any pulling at all. Not that it really matters, before I signed on, a druid was pulling just about the entirety of it anyway. (a previous guild)

A fully group geared 100 monk won't have too much difficulty tanking normal mobs in cotf HAs when the rest of the group, if there is even a group, adjust their expectations in regards to aggro.

(also I hope people aren't spreading misinformation playing their little forum game as if making any positive statement about their class or any other is surely to result in some sort of nerf)

Monks are awesome. Monks are the best. They're freaking Gods for a few seconds about every 13-20 minutes when the Stars line up just perfect. lol.
  8. fransisco Augur

yes, a monk can tank if all the dps adjust their agro (aka do way less damage). But thats like saying a berzerker can tank everything, just have the healers adjust their expectations....

The only way a monk can consistently hold agro over dps is if the monk is raid geared and all other dps are group geared, and then only maybe (boxed also helps cause boxed dps don't do as much dps).
    Monks don't have agro tools like tanks do. Thats just the way it is.
  9. Kiillz Augur

Shrug thats your opinion. Seen plenty a monk including myself tank just fine, including raid geared group. no adjustment necessary either . is what it is.
    Kontra likes this.
  10. Kontra Augur

@ RaptorJesus, Fransisco: Is this a joke? Consider:

Arx Mentis Hunter complete, tanked them all.
    Dredge Hunter complete, tanked them all. (including the named arc worker who pounds)
    Degmar Hunter complete, tanked them all.
    Thuli Hunter almost complete, again, monk tanked.

We had solid dps classes all different nights, all raidgeared, and even wizzy mercs on burn at times, popping CoP4, IoG etc.
    Nothing pulled aggro off me when I opened (or near opener) with FPP.
    You guys clearly have no clue what your talking about.
    Xdevlx and Kiillz like this.
  11. Raptorjesus5 Augur

If every class has to adjust what they are doing to accommodate you, and you are fine with that being called tanking, then sure. Tank away. If you have 6 raid geared people killing mobs in 10 seconds, and the monk happens to tank some damage, and you are fine with that being called tanking, then sure tank away.

Monk's are not tanks.
    silku, Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Kravitz like this.
  12. Brogett Augur

Monks are not tanks and can't compare against the proper tanks, but out of the non-tank classes, they do pretty well IMO. We even have one who quite often ends up offtanking on raids and does an adequate job.

Sure they're not the best tank around, but compared to the other dps classes (bar pets) they rock.
  13. Kiillz Augur

while no one is saying a monk is a tank here Brog, the original argument here was that a monk COULD NOT tank. Proper tank is a tank all day long, no one is gonna say a monk over a warrior, knight etc. But to say a monk CANT tank is just a false statement.

No one has to adjust. What has to be adjusted is situations where as a warrior can take on like 3-4 mobs or knight deflects etc.
  14. Kongfoo Elder

The only time I've been able to tank and not lose agro was with a rogue in the group feeding me the agro buff (I forgot the name). I can take hits just fine but the issue with monk tanking always comes down to agro.
  15. Brogett Augur

I don't quite get what point you're trying to argue against, so to be crystal clear of what I mean:

The noun tank refers to the classes that tank (the verb) - ie pally, sk and war. The verb tank is the ability to be able to soak up the damage. Monks are not tanks (the noun), but they can tank (the verb) and do so reasonably well. Clear?

I don't have an issue with that either.
  16. Kravitz Augur

This has to be the dumbest reasoning for justifying tanking as a monk. You are tanking because you are raid geared. If using your reasoning, I'd like to see your raid geared monk tank vs a raid gear tank, only this time lets see how both of you tank 4-6 Arx Mentis mobs all at once. Clearly you can't.

The OP is asking as a group player'd monk, which you added no relevant information for him, instead of trying to grow your epeen it just grew shorter for being dense.

To answer the OP's question, monks can tank ok vs single mobs most of the time. Even more so if you have stunning kick trained against the effective level of the mob.
  17. Kiillz Augur

YES sir I know what a noun and a verb are tyvm. my issue was never with you. I took issue with it being said that a monk cannot tank and was explaining myself and my earleir point and comments made, my issue was not with you tho you seem to think it was. So I ll apologize if you took issue with what I said, had no problem with what you said.
    Brogett likes this.
  18. Kiillz Augur

not sure what your issue is Kravitz. Nothing I said or anyone here REMOTELY compared a monk to a real tank, I even took measure to say we WERENT tanks, but could in a group setting and do a decent job, NEVER takin anything away from a real tank. I even took measure to mention how we could not do things they do like deflect, take on 3-4 mobs at once etc, but in a NORMAL setting could get it done if no tanks were around.

There's a DISTINCT difference in saying that we cant tank and saying we ARE a tank. NOTHING here was a bout e tho maybe you want it to be, it was about talking about getting a certain job done to some decent degree. If you took the time to read ALL the posts here, you would have seen where I said we cant do what a tank does like in situation you mentioned here about multiple mobs and THAT is what needs to be adjusted. I NEVER one took anything away from a real tank and even gave them props in that post.

Can a warrior pull?? sure they can to some degree with a decent results, does that make them a monk? no but that doesnt mean they CANT do it. Same point is being made here.

No one ONCE here said that a monk would REPLACE a tank or IS a tank, but again to say they cant if given the proper tank is not available is false.
  19. Kravitz Augur

Are you Kontra also? Cause I never quoted you. I was remarking to Kontra's post.
  20. Kiillz Augur

sucks to get old guess i better improve on my reading skills.
    SaderakhBertox likes this.