Monk or Rogue? I want dps

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by trevock, Oct 29, 2015.

1. trevock Augur

Hey guys. I don't want to play a caster. I'm looking for the best melee dps class in the game. I don't necessarily have to have "utility" or anything but I do want these things:

1. Best melee dps both in this expansion (Kunark) and in future expansions. Does one do better now but a different class better later on?

2. Which is more valuable to a group right now? I know Monks can pull but let's put pulling aside, which class would benefit a group more?

Would a group want either class over the other? I don't really solo much either.

I want sheer numbers.

Thanks!
  2. Moranis Augur

The age old question....it depends on what you want to hear really. I think Monks > Rogues definitively in Classic, but it all starts to even out and flip back and forth as expansions continue.

Every group has at least 1 monk currently, and while DPS classes are currently everywhere (see wizards / mages / necros) you might have better luck as a rogue because they're really THAT rare.
  3. Moranis Augur

Plus, with a rogue you can buy their epic for like 1-2 krono on ragefire, so there's that...
  4. Thegoat Elder

Monk/Rogue is pretty even at the moment. It really comes down to landing back stabs and misses. Monks are more versatile (better in group). Rogues will become the better DPS in the future. Picking Monk vs Rogue in a group setting is situational.

I don't have numbers but my word is law. I am the greatest of all time.
  5. pimenttoncheese Elder

Rogue epic MultiQuests go for 10 Krono not 1-2.
  6. Lifetap Augur

Monk has more utility.
    Has the ability to solo.
    You'll be expected to pull when grouping.
    If you want to be lazy, go for rogue.
    Rogues have less competition for loot on raids.

I personally prefer rogue(I'm lazy).
  7. Zivix Journeyman

If you're paying 10 krono for it you're being ripped off. I've seen it go for 5 regularly since Kunark launch and recently dropping to 2-3.
  8. Tuiv Journeyman

I've had trouble with this issue as well. If you're always going to be in a group, Rogue I feel is the more promising route. Monk epic fists though right now are pretty amazing. It's basically a wash until Luclin/PoP then I would favor Rogue more.

As for the Rogue Epic, the robes needed for the Cazic Quill subquest are 2 krono by themselves. It's still a process to complete the journey, and 10 krono is what the average price is right now.
  9. Poydras Augur

Pulling is generally far more valuable to groups than dps, when groups need it they need it. Many classes can provide dps.

Melee dps meanwhile is extremely gear-dependent. But if you say ignore utility abilities, and assuming all things being equal gearwise, rogue is supposed to be clearly better long term.
  10. Urshulgi Augur

You would only really need to buy the rogue epic if you're totally solo, or are in one of those guilds that literally can't organize anything more complicated than a seb group.
  11. Moranis Augur

My point was that they're for sale and easy to obtain...if you're willing to dole out the cash. The monk epic is not.
  12. pimenttoncheese Elder

since i've sold around 90% of all the rogue epics that have been sold on the server please don't make things up
  13. Foo Chow New Member

I say Rogue but I'm biased... Mage and necro pets outdamage me, Monks as well but I do love having little competition for Rogue loot and that I can easily sneak/hide almost anywhere, great for corpse recovery and Rogues are rare. As someone noted it is an easier class to play, dont pull (unless group is desperate) dont tank (can't) dont have to pay much attention, can hide and go to the fridge and not come back to a dead toon.. And I cannot answer either of your questions sorry, just talking to talk..
  14. bober Lorekeeper

I've grouped with several rogues and even more monks, I've always been interested in the more rare and seldom seen class/race combos thats why if I had to choose between monk or rogue I'd go Barbarian Rogue all the way :)
  15. SingedKitty New Member

Monk is def more dps until later expansions we may see in 2020,.