Monk 1H vs. 2H

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Raidarr, Jan 23, 2018.

1. Raidarr Journeyman

I know the general consensus is 2HB.

But if you have EoK rares... what is the rule?

I own Skyripper / Iksar Bane Club and a Staff of the Shai'din.

Any advice is welcome.
  2. Monkman Augur

Crush is the one you want. Delay on shaidin is too slow.. for what you have the 1hs will be better
  3. Thrillho Augur

Typically, 2HB is going to do better than dual wield (DW) - at least that's been the case for a few years. The parses comparing these two are usually done with the monk 2HB though, not the melee 2HB. I'm not sure of the DPS difference between the two. The difference between the monk 2HB and the DW is about 7-12%, in favour of the 2HB.

EoK Rares are equivalent to EoK Raid, and the general rule of thumb is they're only going to be replaced by the next expansion's raid gear. Typically we don't see a large increase between sets, so typically the 2HB from the previous is going to do better than the DW from the current.

Your best bet would be to run a personal parse to see the difference. The longer the parse the better, but usually you can see a difference between the two with ~10 minute parses. The longer parses help you hone in on %s, but if you're only considering which one is better and don't care about how much better, 10 minutes should be fine.
  4. Brohg Augur

Your Staff of the Shai`Din == Mastermind.

Try out Conflagrant Battle Staff, too. 261/23
  5. fransisco Augur

Didn't they mention in beta that they want to change this up so that duel wield is more dps for monks again?
  6. HeatherPurrs Augur

Monk 2hb is almost always better but I always parse. Right now my Crush is the best I have.
  7. Raidarr Journeyman

Thank you all for the insight. I will go with the one handers until I can score a Crush.
  8. Hurrikane Journeyman

I have parsed it litteraly a thousand times and i have no bias to lie to anyone about it. 2hb or 1 handers are very very very close dps. There is no significant difference. The 2 things that are worth noting is while useing destructive force 2hb has better dps. 1 handers have double the proc rate of fists of fury. So if you parse a combat dummy the effects of FOF dont fade. This can give the illusion of 2hb being higher dps. Trust me they are close. I use both equally and in different situations. 1h has better chance to proc 13 fingers if i am soloing. But its not as good for tanking of course. I often use 1h because i like the proc rate of FOF. That said it isnt make or break for dps reasons