Missed tell = "You are botting"

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Espiritun, Jul 24, 2015.

1. Iila Augur

Audio triggers don't follow the in game volume slider. So you don't need to hear the other EQ sounds to hear ATs.
    Silv likes this.
  2. Silv Augur

Well, then the whole 'I don't play with sound argument' gets even weaker.

Really? Because I have a window for only tells/channels with "tells you" and "tells xyzchannel name" setup with in game triggers and it goes off flawlessly. Could you elaborate?
  3. segap Augur

When I box, it is one account per physical computer, no third party software of any kind. And none of those computers have speakers. I can turn the sound on all I want, and it won't make a peep. Making the argument that people need to use audio triggers is bs.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare and Scila like this.
  4. Silv Augur

About as BS as people complaining that they were banned for botting because of a missed tell? Okay so, you don't use sound. Given you have your instances all on different computers and are actively attending them, why doesn't a tell window work? No ATs would mostly affect people who box all on one computer. What's the excuse for that?

Most of these forum posts complaining about bans for "boxing" are really someone trying to save face for actually "botting". In 10+ years of boxing (2 - 5 toons), I've *never* had this happen to me; even before I used /tell ATs. So, that leads me to believe that this falls in the category of 'actually a botter but saving face as a boxer'.
    Elricvonclief and Iila like this.
  5. Yara_AB Augur

But you pretty much see windows popping up on your screen. When I box I have it set up so that I haven an overview of all my sessions so the moment something appears it is only the pressing of one single button to switch to the session and see "oh a tell". If it is a friend I close the window and reply to them on the main-toon where I have the session more often in foreground.
    If it were a foreigner I would pretty much check on them and would get extremely curious if they either have a special flag or don't appear on /who at all.
  6. code-zero Augur

7. Silv Augur

He has no sound...

You try to use video attack but it's ineffective!
    Yara_AB and code-zero like this.
  8. code-zero Augur

I was going for Irony :D
    Motherlee, Garshok and Silv like this.
  9. Tweelis Augur

Just an idea that might work.....

If you don't like the current method of how botters are discovered how about all of you come up with a solution that you do like? I use this with my children and it works out pretty well. If all you do is complain about what "they" do and how wrong "their solution" is all they have to go on is a guess as to what you would like. Now if you're simply upset because you want to cheat and can't figure out a way to circumvent their detection system them poo poo to you.
  10. Laronk Augur

There's an option for tell windows, what it does is when anyone sends you a tell it creates a new chat window that will look like

soandso: blah blah blah
    you: blah blah blah

You do get a window that pops up on your screen though but if im boxing I often don;t read the window for 10+ minutes if I'm busy. I am also a terrible boxer and a very inattentive player.
    Sinzz and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  11. svann Augur

I already did. Its the solution that SOE used to use. If the botter doesnt respond to tells then teleport him to the gm room and see if he notices.

Lay down your weapons. You have 30 seconds to respond. 3, 2, 1...
    Fallfyres likes this.
  12. Yara_AB Augur

So you do not pay attention to those toons - right?
    Fallfyres likes this.
  13. Peltier Elder

Looks like some one is throwing a temper tantrum, for being busted ..
  14. Laronk Augur

To find illegals cops should just ID any person they see and everyone should have to carry around ID. Welcome to soviet norrath please enjoy your stay and your karren milk! I shouldn't have to communicate with gm's if I don't want to. It's interesting to me how some of the CS in the game has gone down to "reacquire through gameplay!" but now if you don't return a tell to a guide they can take the time to suspend you.

Couple this with the fact that gms and some guides are so incompetent that they can see an SK use hate step and think that sk is warping; there's tons of examples where gm's don't understand how the game even works.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  15. Laronk Augur

nope if I am playing my paladin and my cleric I will be doing stuff on my paladin and ill alt-tab press z alt-tab alt; z is my the key all my heals are keybound to I only actually look if it feels like im not getting healed and when I "look" its just to see my target window.

If I am three boxing then I really don't have time to read tells unless they go to my paladin so I might see the box popup but I won't read the message unless I catch the name and recognize it.

Furthermore I've sent tells to players playing 1 character who weren't hacking and they didn't respond because they just weren't paying attention. Why is it that they think they can expect us to respond to tells, if I don't want to talk to a guide/gm/dev they can EFF off for all I care. another example; Sometimes when I'm just playing my cleric I watch a movie and only look at the health bars if someome doesn't talk to me in ventrillo I don't want to talk to them.
  16. Garshok Augur

That sucks then. So people who want to multi-box have to start using a third party program (Gina) and/or reduce overall in-game situational awareness (read: survivability) by taking time to check chat channels on boxes. Hopefully they don't do it in the middle of fights.

Glad I'm not on Ragefire or Lockjaw.
  17. Silv Augur

Hmm... I guess the difference is I made a permanent window and just filtered /tells to it. Personally, I'd find it annoying having something pop up every single time I get a tell but then again I raid and play a buffing class. So I guess that's why ATs don't work for you... doesn't fire on the popup window. That sounds like a bug actually.
    Sinzz and Motherlee like this.
  18. Blankslate Elder

If they are going to send tells to a box group they should send the tell to the toon that is actively pulling / tanking the mob. It's pretty easy to tell which toon is most likely to see a tell. If the GM isn't making at least an honest effort to see if a group is boxed vs. botted, then he/she isn't doing his/her job. Take 5 minutes before you ban my 6 box set and lose revenues from 6 accounts and p1ss off a 15 year EQ player to no end. When I six box I use 6 computers and 6 monitors. I only have sound on my puller/tank. The six monitors span 6 feet on two desks. I'm not going to immediatly see a tell unless you send it to my main box! This anti-boxing hysteria is getting waaaay out of hand. You should be thanking boxers for paying high monthly sub's keeping this old dog alive.
  19. Garshok Augur

So it's like instant 'no response for 60 seconds - *BAM* goes the ban stick?' Wow. Yes, must be a GM.

I'd reserve judgment depending on the number of false positives and how they were handled. Not saying you are wrong, but if I lost the spawn on a camp that was a pain to break and had my rhythm broken it could be . . . irksome.

Hopefully this technique will stay on the servers of mage bot armies. I like the 'friendly hugs' on the other servers.:)
  20. Randragon Augur

I don't remember anywhere in the EULA that people have to answer tells from 'anybody' to prove they are not botting.

What if a person doesn't want to answer a tell?

We have become subject to the EQ . "We have ways of making you talk"

WTF is this game coming to.