Misadventures with Casuals

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Throndor, Jun 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Throndor Augur

Strangely enough, immediately after prime time commenced made a group at frenzy, and plowed 3 levels in 3 hours pulling frenzy sent cav/sav/exe/sage/assassin/supplier/rut and everything in between with a group of attentive casuals that actually wanted to play
    DariyaVika likes this.
  2. Green_Mage Augur

In my experience, there is a tendency for people that have played classic dungeons for years to not understand how confusing it is to newer players. Its not even particularly intuitive to go download Brewall maps -- which is taken for granted by veteran TLP players. It's best not to assume the world is cut up into good and bad MMORPG players and you have you prove your one of the good ones.

That being said, losing a camp like AM because of sheer incompetence will rustle anyone's jimmies.
  3. Atabishi Augur

Something very similar actually happened to me before at king camp in Sebilis. A monk joined our group as the puller. About an hour after he joined, King pops and he goes to pull. He ends up having a "bad split" and brings a train to our group. He kept "lagging out" and breaking mezzes as we tried to get it under control. We ended up having to zone out all thinking "wtf this newbie monk is so bad." About a minute after we zoned out, he drops the group.

Come to find out he actually had his guild group on the way to the camp and intentionally trained us so his guild group could get king. They then proceeded to talk crap to our group about how "dumb we were" and how "their plan worked flawlessly."

And people wonder how I became the person I am today in EQ.
  4. Thunndar Journeyman

I played for 5 years and I'm lost in Guk. Takes a while to remember all this stuff.

Personally I have not played since 2004
  5. Rhodz Augur

Havent been back in Guk in so long could not even say, hated the place then and time has not make it seem any better. Part of that is the design part the players but not going to get all riled up over junk that in a few months wont be worth banking.
    Now if I were going in the FIRST thing I would do is learn the layout from youtube.
  6. Chaosflux Augur

Why would they not have dual monitors with Netflix on the 2nd. Alt tabbing for Netflix? That's scrub level even for a casual.
    DariyaVika likes this.
  7. Machentoo Augur

For what it's worth, even if you can't remember the layout of guk, you have several good options to track down the chanter when he ivu's you and runs off. You can see him on the map. (eqmaps.info if you don't have maps...) You can also hit control-f and find path to him. P99 players or players who haven't played since 2004 ought to familiarize themselves with these; it will be well worth your time.
  8. Throndor Augur

The absurd part is, everyone that wasn't even there has a hypothetical excuse for another player's poor gameplay, when I was actually there watching it happen. ;) You really outta step outside of your cliques every once in awhile to see what's really going on with the "returning players". They're pretty much expecting everyone else to carry them, and a lot of them are not even at the wheel 50% of the time they're playing in a group.
  9. Ishbu Augur

Weird there is so much hate for the OP sentiment. I dont box, I am a casual player, but I agree with the thought completely. He didnt say being a new player is a bad thing, he said this is why veteran players choose to box. I choose to solo most of the time even though the xp is slower just to avoid dealing with things like that at times.

If we dont have to re-live corpse runs, I dont know why I would want to re-live those 100% avoidable wipes due to someone in your own group just training you. Getting lost, getting stuck, expected. Training 2 camps on yourself? Been there, done that, grew up.
  10. Rhodz Augur

Not making excuses for them one little bit, any one sticking their nose into that place should at least try to learn their way around but even then frequent visitors to LG get turned around in places.
    I just pointed out how you screwed up :)
  11. Vanrau Augur

I always keep my map open to watch the whole group move. If I see someone going the wrong way I immediately say something. That usually keeps people from going the wrong direction.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

In 10 years when you look back on your time playing EQ, its all those weird groups you remember best, its not your bot farming! :)

Now, go make some memories!! :D
    Malachi and Niskin like this.
  13. Ultrazen Augur

Assuming that 6 people in a pug, all know their way around lower guk is a pretty big assumption. I've been tooling around L guk for 18 years, and still take a wrong turn once in a while over by Exe. There are a lot of returning players, that started playing EQ post classic. A lot of people have never set foot in guk.

It is surprising that there seem to be quite a few people on Agnarr, that either haven't played in a long time, or have never played. I think that's awesome, it's good for the game to have an influx of people. It can lead to some frustrating experiences if you're not in the right mood for it.
    snailish and Hoodlum like this.
  14. Hoodlum New Member

TLDR: OP is upset because DBG allows other people to play in the same virtual space as he. DBG has gone and compounded the issue by forcing him to play on that one server that was explicitly designed for grouping. Even worse still, DBG has gone and heavily dissuaded boxing. Well OP, I for one completely understand your plight. If there were only a game out there that would let you play in your own realm, with your own mindless army. Or even if there was just a server out there where you could box your army, this struggle could be ended. Sadly, none of this must exist, because here we are...
  15. Strawberry Augur

You're not a veteran just because you box.

You don't strike me as a veteran player either. Veteran players don't engage mobs without knowing where the rest of the party is. Veteran players are keenly aware where everyone is on the map and will direct them, vets know how to get people to a group safely, they know how to communicate things clearly to a group and do not engage if there's a chance of a train.

The fact you took it upon yourself to engage, and put yourself in a leadership position, puts the responsibility of others onto yourself. You are not ready to lead a group if you are not aware where others are.

The fact you engaged and wiped is your fault, you should have kept taps on others in your group and talked to them to understand their status.

Veteran players do not have these issues you have, they tend to know the limits of their group, they know how to get the most potential out of a group and they help fellow members.
    Chatoyan, Malachi, Agrippa and 2 others like this.
  16. Throndor Augur

Actually, no. When you're LFG and a group sends you an invite to come to their camp, and you die on the way because ur a that doesn't know how to navigate the zone, that is on you. Not the person inviting you. You're the one moving your character, its on you. When you invite people to your groups and they train you, do you find that to be your fault for inviting them? I don't think so.
  17. Throndor Augur

When you're "that guy" that dies on the way to a raid where everyone else would be expected to get to the start point, just fine, is it your raid leaders fault? (Perhaps it's his fault for inviting YOU; "that guy". And when you train your raid on arrival, is that your raid leader's fault? (Perhaps, for inviting YOU; "that guy")
  18. Hdizzle Augur

In regards to players, I think we are all confusing the words Veteran and Casual for Good and Poor. Neither combo is mutually exclusive.

Do you guys turn down groups when you see a boxer is included?
    Do you turn down buffs if someone's OOG druid box was buffing a group you were in?
    Do you turn down ports or a res if someones box was going to port or res you?

Stop the evil boxer campaigns. EQ is all about risk vs reward, good players minimize risk to maximize reward. Having access to additional character abilities minimizes risk. And its fun sometimes to just smash a camp solo style for a few hours. Just as much fun as that magical 6 man pug where everyones good and we all level'd 4 times and got two pairs of gebs.

On to the noobs, discussing gameplay strats, skill/spell rotations, I love. One of my favorite parts of MMO's in general is talking shop and giving new players advice. What puzzles me is anyone can google anything at anytime, for no charge :). Hell use your phone so you don't even have to tab out.

Thankfully I haven't had too many misadventures so far but I will share one of my biggest pet peeves. Players who don't know how sit agro works. .
  19. Hoodlum New Member

@hdizzle lol? You do realize that the server in which this discussion pertains to is designed to encourage grouping. That's the reason for the whole true box thing that was advertised, or did you miss that? If you did miss it, DBG has antibox logic in place to foil the plans of those who aren't versed enough to get around it. This is what OP is really crying about. Anyone that plays on a true box server and cries about not being able to box on it, is going to get little sympathy, especially considering the fact that you can box on vast majority of servers. So what this really boils down to is poor decision making on his end.

Truly though, the vast majority of us don't care if you had a bad experience with other humans, that's life. If you can't overcome a minor hardship in a virtual world without having a mental breakdown and crying to a bunch of strangers, life may be a little more difficult for you. But please understand, threads like this are a complete waste because, you guessed it, no one wants to see you cry. Except Trolls, I hear they love your tears. So as a plea from the community, don't post about your "misadventures".

And let's be honest, no one tabs out in 2017...
  20. Throndor Augur

Nah, was just laughing at the chumps do, and a plethora of people commenting about how they want the responsibility of a bot, while they get carried to level. There's a 14 page thread of vitriol aimed at people that still box here just a page or 2 back, and its because of these players' sense of entitlement to being carried by others.

There are literally several people on here commenting about how its someone else's responsibility to handhold them like a small child to a simple camp in a zone that's been mapped out 5,000 times over on an 18 year old static zone.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.