Merc Tank question

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Jethil, Feb 6, 2016.

1. Jethil New Member

I've recently started playing again and have a question about tank mercs. I started trying to two box of Ranger and Shaman, the ranger has a J1 tank merc and the shaman a J1 healer merc, both are level 57 at the moment. So far I've mainly done level appropriate hot zones for leveling.

I've been reading that the tank merc can't keep up with the content after level 70 or so. Will the Ranger be able to tank level appropriate content? What kind of leveling speed drop can I expect if I do that? Right now the tank merc basically can power level the 2 toons with the healer merc. Does a 2 box of Ranger w/ wizard merc and Shaman w/ healer merc sound best?

Thanks for any help.
  2. Borek-VS Augur

It's not so much that tank mercs can't keep up with content, as they can't keep up with themselves at lower levels, OR with player tanks. You start to see this at 50+, and it becomes apparent at 70+. By 84 (just before you can upgrade from J1 to J5 the easy way), they are genuinely weak.

So you can continue to use merc tanks, but count on them taking a dirt nap rather more often than you might like. The ranger, as well, isn't going to function as well as a genuine tank, but a well geared and AAed ranger will do at least as well in most situations as the merc.

I like to use one caster and one healer merc if I have a duo, with the option to switch to two (of either) for special circumstances, and plan on attempting to kite or tank, according to the duo. Two caster mercs on burn can keep you on your toes.

If you're competent at boxing, then the shaman can handle all healer duties whenever you don't want to be too lazy.
  3. Riou EQResource

If you keep up with your gear, Ranger can tank everything pretty much, wizard merc best if you don't need the heals yea
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I think it depends on your group set up (molo, 2-box w/mercs, full group, etc). I have a trio at 100, and I use the J5 mercs (tank, healer, and wizzy), and level appropriate trash gets mowed through, such that I don't worry about 2-pulls, and don't worry >much< about 3-pulls. Level appropriate names are usually not too bad. This has been true pretty much since I got the J5s when the trio was ~88 or 89.

Tat
  5. Lizzarn New Member

Stick with light blue mobs you'll be fine. Merc tanks are terrible at post 70. Then again, PC tanks are pretty underpowered, as well. Make a mage, hahahaha.
  6. Sebbina Augur

Pulling less then even mobs, the tank merc should be okay, also switch the healer merc (can use to buff others) to a DPS merc and have the Shaman handle heals. It is possible to grind in Sebilis around the top wings, and do okay, then I would suggest Temple of Droga, mobs top out at 61, with the ranger able to snare runners there should be no problem with trains. At level 61, you may be able to convince guildies to provide level 91-95 buffs, to maintain a serious advantage over most trash 60 ish mobs. Level 65- 71 will be annoying as Droga becomes lower XP value and newer expansions are progressively more difficult.
  7. Jarsi Lorekeeper

Shaman - tank merc j5, ranger-cleric merc j5 at 75 was able to do loping plains goblins with splitting being the only problem for xp you could always do dragonscale hills farm until 78 then do crocs in loping with the same set up just know tank merc does love to blow his disc fast and first lol
  8. Picaresque Augur

Slightly changing focus: Between 75 and 84, how well can a J1 tank handle a DH HA (Gribble) in a two-box set (or two player set with two mercs)? Playing an 83 Cleric or 76-77 Shaman, possibly together with the Cleric using J1 Tank and Shaman using a dps merc, cleric pulling (in mostly HoT T2 Group gear).