Merc Progression

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Liliana, Feb 16, 2013.

1. Liliana Augur

Would it be possible to add the flags for different tiers of Mercs to some newer content similar to Pure Powersources being added to raids after Solteris?

Having to go back to SoD and the warrens which is always camped because its a hotzone is torture, not to mention the task with the thralls which are on a 20 minute respawn timer.

Add the flags to VoA or RoF achievements, Mercenary achievements! Just do something
  2. Qest T. Silverclaw Augur

What's ridiculous is having top-tier mercs available so easily to everyone. Current mercs should be sunsetted and new mercs or merc tiers should be implemented.

Those of us who aren't hardcore raiders should be extremely pleased that one simply has to wait their turn for a few hours at the most for Thralls, etc, to obtain overpowered mercs.

The risk/effort/time/skill no longer matches the reward in this case.
    Tegila likes this.
  3. Liliana Augur

Well adding it to the newer expansion achievements would be one way to achieve that. Though I don't really see the problem with them being so easily obtained anyways. At this point its alts and returning players getting them. Should almost make it so that once they are unlocked on one toon, the entire account is flagged. But thats just me
    Sinestra likes this.
  4. Sebbina Augur

The hotzones are likely to change, and if there is a newer expansion set of merc tasks, they will also become a bottleneck. The big problem these days is that the warrens tasks are open to level 75, but, Murdunks has a 15 level limit so that folk would have to level to 85 if they want high level assistance. The only change i want to see, is some way to boost merc buffs to a 20 count
    Bendi likes this.
  5. Kegwell Lurker since '99

I would again like to request a master looting mercenary. It's primary role is to loot corpses, inform the group of no drop items and distribute loot. Please :) I bet they will be used more than you think.
  6. savrin Augur

A new quest for t6+ journeyman or master mercs seems like a nice idea. I think mercs are not overpowered at all though. Far too often they act like they are afk or something similar and their mana pool is very low when chain pulling. Any real healer is light years better than a t5 journeyman merc healer to the point where you need a real tank. Not to mention they break mezz and attack rooted mobs all the time. Not overpowered in the least unless its impossible to find a real healer/tank which normally is not hard to do.

Merc tanks seem to be much weaker than regular players.
  7. Mykaylla Augur

I would love a merc or familiar that would loot stuff.

Bonus points if it resembles a chest with a lot of legs... made of sapient pearwood.
  8. Gladare Augur

I'd pay double for a looting merc. As long as it didn't take exp.
  9. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I don't see any issue with adding J2-5 Merc access to completing T1-4 zones' partisans & Heroes of later expansions. I have said as much in another thread on a similar Merc topic.
  10. Talif Augur

There were supposed to be raid only mercs back in the day, but it just fell off the radar.
  11. iniari-TR Augur

mercs are supposed to be weaker then regular players. real players sould always be preferential to a merc..

when mercs were created the devs canceled the "master" level merc. as being too overpowering for the content. and later on when they tried adding other spell lines to the mercs it borked them all up.
  12. Tegila Augur

Pure powersoruces arent limited to solteris. they're limited to solteris AND mid to upper tier raids in sof and sod. 1 run of clankwrench (wicked easy) flags you for them for example.

getting t5 mercs isnt hard to do, people give away merdunks TA's all teh time, and asking to join whoever's killing whatever mobs for kill credit for a few minutes rather than arguing about your right ot kill said mobs vs their right etc...

i dont see a problem with adding mroe merc tiers each expansion though, rather htan automaticly boosting the merc powers as they did in voa and rof beyond waht they wouldve previously been boosted simply by levelling. perhaps the entry zone of each expansion, completing the partisan set or the missions, would flag for the increased power mercs, and they should work as backflags as well once the warrens part is done imo. if someone leaves for 2 years and has their t5 merc already, they shouldnt have to go back and do the other 2 expansions worth on top of whatever's current when they return, in order to keep going, but the boost should be levelbased too. Can't drag someone along on rof SL tasks at 85 then send them back to feerrott with an rof merc thats imbalanced for htecontent etc..shoudlnt be possible. Make it such and such tasks and lvl 91 for voa 96 for rof, 101 for whatever comes next etc.
  13. Liliana Augur

Yeah, originally it was only Solteris and then later they were added to SoF/SoD in Feb 2009 after much complaining from raiders from having to continuously backflag recruits for them. I'm just asking for something similar be done for the mercenaries.

For example every Hero or Mercenary or Partisan (could be 1 type of these or all or whatever) achievement you complete in VoA or RoF activates the next tier of mercenaries. Or just completing the Savior in Shards Landing could do it. They already backflagged Alaran language this expansion in Shards Landing , why not mercs too.
    Promotes more grouping in current content, though you could still do it at lower levels in SoD if you wanted.

It's just a "quality of life" improvement
  14. SpamFactory Augur

maybe I'm the minority but I think merc progression is pointless at this stage of the game.

in today's EQ all you need are 2 different merc ranks, 1 rank of apprentice mercs (equal to the tier V apprentice that exists today) and 1 rank of journeyman mercs (equal to the tier V journeyman merc). Make the apprentice merc for FTP accounts and the journeyman one for all gold members.

having 10 different merc tiers is redundant
  15. Liliana Augur

i agree with this also, would save developer time for sure in having to tune every time we have a level increase