Melee Mod Basics

Discussion in 'Melee' started by Sancus, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Sancus Augur

So I'm trying to figure out the basics of modifiers that affect melee damage. The two reasons for this are A) To figure out what spells/songs are most beneficial to my pet (on the off chance I ever had a bard) and B) I may be leveling up some melee/hybrid alts in lieu of having anything better to do. I couldn't find one, but if there's any melee guide that's similar to this caster guide, I'd love a link to it

I may reference casters as I'm fairly familiar with how they work. So I guess a few questions:
    • What mods exist? There's haste, stat mods (do any of these have a benefit?)... And I'm sure there are others
    • Do the mods work for pets in a similar way that they work for players? Or am I way off base trying to compare the two?
    • Do mods work the same across all melee classes, or are all classes kind of different? I know different nuking classes have mods set at different levels, but the way they work are constant across them (e.g. some classes have different crit chances, but the way crit chance works is constant). Is this kind of the same for melee, or is it different between the various classes?
    • Which mods stack (assuming the buffs aren't using the same slot)?
    • Which mods are additive, which take the highest, and which are multiplicative?
    • What exactly do things like flurry, double attack, etc do?
    Even if pets are a completely different animal, I'd still love to have a basic guide on melee stuff if I ever decide to level all of those free HCs I made :)

And at least for now, please do keep it fairly basic. If there are formulas, I'm fine with math, but I really would like to make sure I'm clear on the very basics of combat first. Also it isn't imperative that I understand every mod; I'm looking for the ones that have a notable impact.
    Tacoheals likes this.
  2. Behelit Augur

There are obviously more than these but this list pretty much covers the most common effects in discs/activated AA. Pets should be effected by all these mods in the same way players are (or close enough to compare as you want to). Flurry, double attack, and triple attack chance increase the odds of performing a double/triple/flurry of hits per combat round.

Increase Melee Haste by X% - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Increase Chance to Hit by X% - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Increase Hit Damage by X% - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Increase Min Hit Damage by X% - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Increase Chance to Critial Hit by X% - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Increase Critical Hit Damage by X% of Base Damage - stacks as long as not in same spell slot
    Increase Critical X Damage by Y% of Base Damage - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Decrease Weapon Delay by X%(HHE) - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Increase Chance to Flurry by X% - stacks as long as not in same spell slot
    Increase Chance to Triple Attack by X% - stacks as long as not in same spell slot
    Increase Hit Damage Bonus by X - doesnt stack, highest value takes effect
    Increase X Damage Bonus - doesnt stack, highest value takes effect
    Add Proc - stacks as long as not in same spell slot
    Increase Proc Rate by x% - doesn't stack, highest % takes effect
    Increase Hit Damage Taken by X% - stacks as long as not in the same spell slot

I'm sure others can add to this, I'm just feeling lazy and ripped this list from my Zerker guide. Hopefully it helps.
    Sancus likes this.
  3. Sancus Augur

I appreciate the list! I'm gonna take a crack at figuring out what these do (some are fairly obvious from the name):

Increase Melee Haste by X% - changes your attack speed (Burnout is 85% increase, for example)
    Increase Chance to Hit by X% - increases... accuracy? I know on combat dummies water pets have something like a 79% hit%, so I'm guessing that would increase with this buff
    Increase Hit Damage by X% - Increases hit damage by a %
    Increase Min Hit Damage by X% - Increases the min hit damage by a % (does this affect other hits?)
    Increase Chance to Critial Hit by X% - Increases critical hit chance by a %
    Increase Critical Hit Damage by X% of Base Damage - Increases the dmg of critical hits by a %
    Increase Critical X Damage by Y% of Base Damage - Not sure on this one
    Decrease Weapon Delay by X%(HHE) - I guess this would end up increasing swing speed?
    Increase Chance to Flurry by X% - Increases chance to flurry by a %
    Increase Chance to Triple Attack by X% - Increases triple attack chance by a %
    Increase Hit Damage Bonus by X - a flat damage addition to hit? Does this crit?
    Increase X Damage Bonus - Not sure
    Add Proc - Adds a proc
    Increase Proc Rate by x% - Increases proc rate by a %
    Increase Hit Damage Taken by X% - Guessing this is a debuff on a mob?

So do I have those correct? Also, how exactly does a flurry work? I'm assuming a double attack would be like twincast (you hit twice), and triple attack would be like triplecast (where you hit 3 times)...
    Tacoheals likes this.
  4. Behelit Augur

You've got the right idea on Increase Chance to Hit, its essentially Accuracy.

Increase Min Hit Dmg raises you're minimum hit only, but as a result you will not hit for below your new min hit so it shifts you're hit distribution up (as far as I know, someone correct me if this is wrong).

There are 2 melee critical damage SPAs: one is for all melee damage which is the "Increase Critical Hit Damage by X%", the other is for a specific type of melee damage for instance "Increase Critical 2hp Damage by X%".

Decreased Weapon Delay is applied to the base delay of weapons before Melee Haste is applied, it also "stacks" with Melee Haste manipulatively (afaik).

The two Damage Bonus are the same case with one being applied to all melee ("Increase Hit Dmg Bonus by X") and one being applied only to specific melee types for instance "Increase 2hp Damage Bonus by X". In both cases it is +flat damage applied at the end of the damage calculation, so it can't crit nor is effected by other mods (like Increase Hit Dmg %).

Increase Hit Dmg Taken is a debuff, the biggest two being T'Vyls Resolve and Funeral Dirge.

A Flurry is 1-2 hits on top of a Triple attack, it can only fire upon successful check of a Triple attack.
    Sancus likes this.
  5. Yther Augur

Sancus likes this.