melee dmg question

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by rando, Jul 23, 2018.

1. rando New Member

My 2h weap was hitting for 507 max, now it's hitting for 397 max. That's a change of over 21%. My understanding is that melee dmg was reduced from 150% to 129% which would result in an overall damage decrease of 14%. Why aren't these numbers matching up?
  2. CaptainSkeet Augur

Not sure where you are getting the 14%.

506 to 397 is 21.69%. With rounding that seems pretty close to what it should be.
  3. Machentoo Augur

I hope your work doesn't involve math.
  4. mackal Augur

Because SPA 185 happens before damage bonus is added in.
  5. CaptainSkeet Augur

Ditto
  6. rando New Member

129 / 150 = 0.86
    In other words, 129 is 86% of 150. Inversely, you lose 14% of dmg when you go from 150% to 129%
  7. rando New Member

I don't know what SPA 185 is, but if damage bonus is calculated after the innate adjustment then the decrease in dps should be even less than 14%
  8. Machentoo Augur

Or,

150-129=21.

21/150 = .14

So you lose 14% of your dps going from 150 to 129. Assuming no other factors involved, which I am not sure of (the SPA issue?)
  9. CaptainSkeet Augur

Well, I stand corrected then.
  10. mackal Augur

SPA 185 is the SPA that the innate melee damage AA lines use.
  11. CaptainSkeet Augur

So is 14% the actual parse amount in loss confirmed by anyone rolling parses? Or is 21% being applied different? Haven’t seen (probably missed) any number crunching, aside from the raving thread about melee nerfs on TLPs.

I see the math now, according to how it would seem to play out. Is There some other factor at play for the OP that changed it lower? Seems odd that it would coincidentally be 21% flat max hit reduction. I imagine it’s probably a more complicated calculation based on the EQ math maze.

I can’t remember my old max hits so I have no idea. I just wack things and hope for procs.
  12. HoodenShuklak Augur

I parsed around 14 percent before the patch... didnt parse long, under an hour. But nowhere near a nerf that hurt. Melee dps from those innate aas was op and a lot of us know it.
  13. Machentoo Augur

I think it really is only a small %, 14% at most, but I am open to being corrected. If people have parses that say otherwise, I'd love to see them. The stacking issues for damage are pretty complex.
  14. Kutsuu Augur

Are you sure that you aren't comparing non-motm to motm?

My 2her max hit on MOTM went from 306 to 272, and on non-motm went from 348 to 302. Both are about right when you consider how the formula changed.

For 65 monks you could calculate max dmg with:
    (WpnDmg*1.50)*6 + DmgBonus +1

Now the 1.50 is 1.29 and math still checks out. Other classes have a different damage table multiplier (the 6 in above formula) so afaik this is only accurate for monks.
  15. Numzan Augur

It will balance out, with other classes that normally are AFK kicking in and casting something...hehe
  16. rando New Member

You're right. In hindsight, the trash mobs that we were fighting at the time may have had mark of the mighty, which explains why unusually low max-hit. I consider this issue resolved.
    Machentoo likes this.
  17. HoodenShuklak Augur

If you arent parsing on fixed encounters for long periods, aka test dummy, you'll never really get a good picture.

But really, after this change went in nothing has been crippled and all raids and groups function perfectly fine. Shame some people thought it was worth quitting over.
    Numzan likes this.
  18. Numzan Augur

Yes people are just fed up of years of this...