Max Ranger Tracking distance

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Weebaaa, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Weebaaa Augur

Appears to be ~3100 Units (Via InGame max)

I reached this result via placing one character in the corner of the ingame max and running another to the opposite corner, until they disappeared off of track.

I couldn't find this information anywhere so I felt the need to share :-D

Feel free to critique
  2. roth Augur

I do not know the max distances trackable by Rangers, Bards, or Druids. I do recall, however, that one class (Bard or Druid) initially had a higher skill level than the other because the other was supposed to be a better tracker. Back then, there was no scrolling through the window (or track sorting), what you got was a list of the most recent pops within range (Tracksort : Normal). Ranger tracking was an absolute nightmare, because there was no scroll window and you'd see things that repopped on the other side of the zone before you'd see spawns near you. Bards and Druids did not have it quite that bad, but one was a lower skill than the other so its list would be more relevant to its surroundings.
  3. fransisco Augur

tracking distance changes by zone.
    Indoor zones have a much shorter tracking range, because they tend to be smaller zones.
  4. Zish Elder

lol, this is not true
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

I've noticed that some zones seem to have tracking reduced. I'm a druid but the same idea applies to all tracking classes. Basically, only mobs very close would show on track. I'm guessing there is some kind of zone tracking modifier the devs can change when they want to make tracking harder in a zone.
  6. Weebaaa Augur

What zones have you noticed this difference in tracking distance?
  7. fransisco Augur

try testing it before you say its not true.

Zone into Kael and you cannot track the arena until you're like 1/3 of the way there.
    But you can certainly track that distance outside.

Also, several years ago a dev stated that tracking ranges are shorter in doors.
    And before you ask for the quote, go to kael and see for yourself. Or ask anyone who has played a ranger as a main for years
  8. Zaph Augur

Kael is one of the best examples for seeing how a tracking range can vary in a single zone, both the arena and King area are restricted distances.
    Anyone saying its not true isnt paying attention, isnt a ranger or just trolling
  9. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

Used to be that if you were lower level your track did not extend as far also. Another example of the limited distance in zones is in LDON dungeons. And I don't mean tracking the named, I know those are spawned sometimes and not on track till you kill xxx.
  10. lancelove Augur

My cellphone works great outside in an "open zone". Down in some basements or caves the reception isnt so good....
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

I know years ago the zone geometry seemed to have an affect on tracking too.
  12. Bigstomp Augur

I don't have a good answer here, and have only used a druid, but some zones feel bigger than they are to wander, and vice versa. For example I don't think I could track all of the plane of shadows zone on my druid, but I could get most of it in (rof) eastern wastes. EW took a far longer time to run across yet tracking seemed better.

I have no answer, just anecdotes
  13. Raptorjesus5 Augur

Isn't there also a mob limit in the track window? IE you can track really far if there is very low mob density (outdoor zones) but not as far when there is a very high density (indoor zones)?
  14. fransisco Augur

no, there isn't really a mob limit that ive noticed.

However, you can have mobs that are invisible to track
  15. Weebaaa Augur

I actually happened to do my testing in these two zones.

I was able to track from the Zone in to the far NorthWest corner of Plane of Shadows.

In EW I was able to get approximately 30% of the zone with the ranger, and this is the zone where I found my 3100 number
  16. Weebaaa Augur

30% is not accurate, actually.
    That was from the zone in, so it didn't realize the entire radius is track.
  17. svann Augur

Any measure of the range of track should use /loc.
    fransisco likes this.
  18. fransisco Augur

this is how the game measures distance. Any other type of measurement is less precise
  19. Tadenea Augur

it does indeed vary by indoors and outdoors
    Sverag zone, when I was on test ages ago tracking the name, there was an issue with that zone that sometimes it loaded as indoor zone and sometimes outdoor zone. and back then zoning in I could not see big boss on track and sometimes I could, I ended up figuring it out when using Harmony its because of the indoor and outdoor setting
    But that was years and years ago where outdoor had bigger range, so may have changed since then