Map label font size

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gidono, May 18, 2013.

1. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I know you can edit the labels within the Map UI. However is there a way to globally edit all map files to accept a global text size value for all labels? I've been editing the map files by hand to increase the size of the text because size 1 is too small to see for my laptop.
  2. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Not really.

The easiest thing to do is to edit the text file itself and change the size from 1 to 3. It should be much faster then trying to do it in game if that is what you are doing.
  3. Leerah Augur

I would like to globally edit the colors on all my maps on all my accounts to banish the grey lines on the tan backgrounds!
  4. Tegila Augur

i wish you could click a checkbox and bolden the lines themselves
  5. Ishtass Augur

Just need to find a tool to use a regex to find/replace.
  6. Yther Augur

Would be nice. Easier than trying to find and turn off Anisotropic Filtering and other bluring features of a graphics card that cause the problem with single pixel lines. Double lines slightly off center of each other helps too (often noticeable in maps with both Layer 1 and Base having the same / similar lines).

A tool tip for labels would be nice too, for Mouse Over, that is bigger Font (or a controllable sized one), or even just using a tool tip type of display but using the same text as in the label. Or someway to change the size besides the 1, 2, 3 in the map.

Yther Ore.
  7. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I've been using Editplus. However I can't find a regex that quite works like I want it too because it keeps finding 1, in other parts of the map files not part of the font parameter. Editplus has a limited capability in its regex code. All I did was use the replace tool and had it look for 1,(2 spaces) and replaced with 2,(2 spaces).

It took about an hour but I replaced every map files size 1 font text and backed up the map files just in case they got patched over.
  8. Caudyr Augur

The regex you need would be the following (without the quotations, of course) - ", \d, " - It's easy to separate the size for the labels out. After this you just set the "Replace" to be ", 3, " w/o the quotations of course.

To change the color of grey lines, you can actually hold down the ctrl key and then left click and do a drag to create a window to select all the lines on a map...and change then to black instead.

Alternatively, find the color of the grey line's RGB values in the map window...and then go into the map file(s) and search ", R, G, B" w/o the quotations...replacing the R, and B with the RGB values found before. Then you can replace them with ", 0, 0, 0" w/o the quotations, once again.

The map files are actually separated pretty intuitively so you can tell the difference between different segments. A line's format is "L -Y, -X, Z, -Y2, -X2, Z2, R, G, B" and the point's format is "P -Y, -X, Z, R, G, B, Label_size, Label_text". They're basically separated by 2 spaces between each 'field set'...and yes, you read that right...the XYZ coordinates in the map file are actually -Y-X-Z instead...for some reason.

For editing my map files, I use Notepad++ because it loads text files efficiently, has a good find/replace tool and most importantly...it lets me use regular expressions (regex) as mentioned above. I use them quite a bit to normalize z-levels on multiple level'd zones, etc. The Kedge map I did (which will be released once we finish Faydwer :p) would've been 10x worse if I didn't have this program to duplicate things the way I did in the text file, lol.

...hope this helps. ;)
  9. Yther Augur

, 1, to , 3, or since some files use multiple spaces , 1, to , 3, without needing regex expression, simple, find & replace will work. You'll have to do it for , 2, to , 3, also, if you want everything set to 3.

It may change a color or position from 1 to 3, but not everyone with a 1, only the ones that equal 1. And moving from 1 to 3 in /location or color is barely noticeable even by people with excellent vision (impossible for me to tell, unless maybe it's green).

Also, he wanted to know about labels which are of the form:
    P -X, -Y, Z, R, G, B, S, Text
    where, X, Y, and Z are similar to X0, Y0, and Z0 above; R, G, B same as above, S is size of text from 1-3, and Text is the label. But the simple comma at the beginning and end will make sure you only get values that equal 1. If a map was made in-game and hasn't been optimized, the locations will never be perfect integers but in the form 1.000000 or some such number of decimal points (6 is what I remember, but I optimize most of mine to integers)

Details of Map File Contents

Yther Ore.
  10. Ishtass Augur

You need to learn how to use regex's. Caudyr's answer wouldn't have that issue.
  11. Yther Augur

99.99% or more of files won't have an issue either. Take a look at them. And yea, I could learn it, and so could the original poster. Just pointing out it's not necessary if you have beginning and ending qualifier commas. It's the only thing they were missing in their (the OP's last post) example.

After searching 20+ files quickly, no , 1, matched any file other than the ones using it for the label size.

Yther Ore.
  12. Yther Augur

a more specific example too, 'cause ", \d, " is matching any single decimal, including the color columns which are of the form listed (single space), but the size column is double-spaced so it's completely ignoring it.

Yther Ore.
  13. Caudyr Augur

Because of the spaces i added into it (there are 2 with each comma), the following would've worked (without the quotes, of course):

Code:
    ",  \d,  "
    Normally you would be right, but because there are two spaces after each comma (both in the example and in the map file)...it's looking only for a field that matches that...and will only get the "size" field. I know this because I use this to mass change any existing labels on a map when I get started on it...so I can actually see them to see if the labels are needed or not.

Example:
    Code:
    P -Y, -X, Z,  R, G, B,  S,  Text (using your version)
    P 0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000,  0, 0, 0,  3,  There_is_text_here
    It's much easier to see where the two spaces are when you have an actual example like the one I put above. There's a double space after the -Y-XZ coordinates, one after the RGB values, one after the size...and one after the text value.

In the case of lines...it's actually:
    Code:
    L -Y, -X, Z,  -Y2, -X2, Z2,  R, G, B
    L 0.0000, 0.0000, 0.0000,  10.0000, 15.0000, 75.0000,  25, 25, 25

The original post of mine actually cut out the double spaces...so this time my examples are done in code to prevent such a thing from happening again.
  14. Tegila Augur

along with the ability to make things bold, wish was a way to turn on the names ofgroup members without hovering. i should probably just change their colors but i want hte green x's kinda a pain to find the right person when ppl spread out if you have labels on and their names still dont show up until you hover over their x
  15. Caudyr Augur

That's why you set them to a color that's easy to see amongst the other lines/labels. There's plenty of options aside from the ones I use on the maps I do...since there's 255*255*255 different options of colors you could pick. ;)

That being said..it'd be nice to see the names above the X's, I guess...but I doubt it'd help much in seeing the people on the maps in some cases.

Being able to bold lines would be pretty nice, though...that's for sure. :D
  16. Yther Augur

It's still the point, you don't need the regex, 'cause using the spaces without the regex will get you the same thing. The only thing the regex is doing is getting 1s and 2s and 3s in a single pass, and since you don't need to change 3 to 3, and if you prefer just enlarging them all by 1 size (2s to 3s and 1s to 2s), you'll still want to do it with out.

I like regex, but there's very little point in it here. Although the small point it does make here, is what the OP wanted (They wanted all sizes to become 3s). It's basically a simple find and replace. No reason to make it overly difficult for those that don't have or use regex. Too much like using calculus to solve an easy algebraic equation. You can do it, but why, if you don't know if the reader is familiar with it or not.

Yther Ore.
  17. Yther Augur

UI_character_server.INI file, under [MapViewWnd] section, change GroupColor.red= GroupColor.green= and GroupColor.blue= to some other value. I make mine 0s, or black by default, as I hate the green if using the default tan background.

Yther Ore.
  18. Ishtass Augur

To be fair, you could make the regex a little more robust as well to account for only 1 and 2, and more pattern around just the commas and spaces to be sure of what you're looking at.
  19. Tegila Augur

no thats not what i want, i said i want htem green, i want their NAMES to come up when i turn on labels and stay up without havign to hover over their X's when im trying to find the right groupmember on the map vs the others

youd think labels would include all heh, why not the groupmembers' names too. even if i cant see it very well (or nearly anything on map except the general line directions) i can see the relative lengths and use process of elimination to find the person im looking for to give directions etc. the find function sorking for nearly everything in last couple years is nice for those that cant read labels well anyway or in a zone with many levels, but so hard to tell what groupie is what X on teh map until you hover over their x, even if the X's are bright red and bold or their labels bright red and bold...the name wont pop up til you hover over their X
  20. Yther Augur

Sorry it was due to what Caudyr said: That's why you set them to a color that's easy to see amongst the other lines/labels. There's plenty of options aside from the ones I use on the maps I do...since there's 255*255*255 different options of colors you could pick.

I knew you wanted it green, but he mentions changing the map colors so was clarifying where the change would really be, in case someone else came along. I should have qualified it some more.

It is a reasonable suggestion. Not sure if I'd like it any better than how you could see targeted name hovering at any distance through objects, like in EQ2, but it'd probably be easier to implement.