Make No-Trade Mercenary Gear Heirloom?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by BlueberryWerewolf, May 5, 2022.

1. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And the heirloom and attunable tags have been around for a very long time at this point. There is a reason that they are not used much on items and it is most defiantly not a limited development budget or developer time. If they wanted to use those tags more often they could easily add them to every no trade item in the game however it is clear that they do not. Because you can see them use the tags on some items but not many every expansion it should be clear about how they intend to use it.

There is no way you can explain why most no trade items don't have them in an expansion that was created in 2021 when the tags were available for use long before item creation started for the expansion.
  2. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I can see plenty of reason why current expansion content would not be intended to be traded down to alts while it still being the case that is not the thinking for content from previous expansions or several years ago, and it just hasn't been done because it's not a priority to change.
  3. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And why would that change for previous expansion gear? Not to mention that is something they could could handle with the heirloom tag and possibly a flag to determine when that shows on an item by expansion.

They don't want you to twink your alts with current or older expansion no trade gear as they make it no trade for a reason.
  4. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

When content is no longer current, especially several expansions previous, there's less reason for it not to be tradable to alts.
  5. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

This idea that once something is set a certain way, it should always remain that way, is a large part of the reason this game is not friendly to new and returning players. They have made many, many strides to alleviate that in recent years. It's absolutely not the case they never intend to change things years later.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And what reason do you have to think that the devs agree with you on that?

And there is no reason for it to change either. Devs make the items no trade for a reason and just because they are older now doesn't mean that they think they should be able to passed on to others. That is just a player wish and not a concern of the devs. They will always be of the mindset of a player wanting an item that is not tradeable needs to earn it on their own.
  7. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

I'm not the one claiming my opinion is the only correct one. Further discussion with you on this doesn't seem like it will be very useful.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Yet you keep claiming that I don't know the intended use of some tags even though we can see how they use them in every expansion since it was released. What it boils down to is that players want to find a use for older items and devs don't want those items to change hands.
  9. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Flatchy likes this.
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

If they merged No Trade and Heirloom, it would probably affect the krono market to a certain degree, when players could get old raidloot for their alts(raidloot that the player earned in-game on their raiding main), rather than spending kronos on rares. So in a sense, it would be less "pay to win" than what we currently have.

Im all for reducing pay to win...:)
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I can also see people spending krono to loot gear on their mains for the sole purpose of passing it down to an alt.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It is my impression that most raiding guilds uses some sort of DKP system for raidloot. But then again, haven't really paid attention to what other guilds do.
    In my guild we have a 2-tiered system, where you can bid dkp for an alt(that can get to the chest), if the item would otherwise rot.
  13. BlueberryWerewolf Augur

Yes, most guilds have policies about looting for alts in raids. Waring continues to make nonsense arguments that aren't relevant.

Looting gear you intend to pass to your alts instead of the current practice of looting gear on your alts directly.

And again, if there is gear that is not intended to be passed to alts, it would be just as easy a fix to have a flag designating it as such. The vast majority of No Trade gear in the game currently doesn't have a good reason for not also being Heirloom.
  14. Rasper Helpdesk The Original Helpdesk

If you wanted to merge No Trade and Heirloom while preventing certain items from being passed down, but didn't want to invest ungodly dev-hours into trying to do 100k+ items by hand :

Step 1: Set every item's "Heirloom" bit to the current value of "fvnodrop"
    Step 2: Invert coding so if an item has it's "Heirloom" bit set it can Not go into shared bank
    Step 3: Change display so that if
    "No Drop" and not "Heirloom" display "Heirloom"
    "No Drop" and "Heirloom" displays "No Trade"
    Not "No Drop" displays nothing

Bingo. Everything is movable to alt except for the real key stuff like epics and flags (same stuff you can't trade on FV), Heirloom is the default status for future items but any item they want to be character locked they just set that bit to 1.

(and maybe change the name of the bit internally to "char lock" to prevent confusion)
  15. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Correct they would use that for members of their guilds but that doesn't mean you don't have guilds/individuals that are running events and selling the loot to others for krono. You can have a situation where someone wants to grab something for an alt that is still leveling or will be created at a future date.
  16. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Correct they have rules for loot when dealing with members but that doesn't mean the people are only getting this type of loot through their guild. People can loot no trade items that people are farming for the express purpose of selling it later on. I only mentioned it because someone claimed it would reduce pay to win which is not true.

And looting gear to pass on to an alt only works when that alt is on the same account and from what I have seen it appears that more people are looting gear for alts on a different account then on the one they raid with.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

But that would still leave players with a decent amount of items that they can no longer place in the bank or housing and they would be stuck keeping it in their inventory.
  18. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Correct, and if they merged No Trade and Heirloom, then there would be less of those cases, as the raider could just buy stuff for a future alt with his own raidcoin instead.

The more raidcoin that gets used, means less pay to win.

Now that I think about it, it would also make loot-handling more efficient, with less alt-shuffling in/out of the expedition.
  19. Waring_McMarrin Augur

And this gets back to the fact that they appear to like the no trade tag and don't want players to pass on items to alts or other players as they are no longer needed by the player who looted them.
  20. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, I never claimed DBG agrees with me, we are just discussing a suggestion. ;)