Make Character Non-Deletable?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Myrdale, Dec 19, 2021.

1. Myrdale Journeyman

It's pretty much impossible to accidentally delete character. And the security of one's account is one's own responsibility. But I think there would be value in flagging a character as not being able to be deleted.

Personally I'd give $20 to buy an item from market place, which when clicked would flag my main as not being able to be deleted. I wouldn't think implementing a check during the delete process would be that significant of a task.

Am I solving a problem that doesn't exist, or does it solve a possible real world vulnerability (malicious room mates / angry ex-girlfriends / siblings / etc.)?
    Mukkul and Szilent like this.
  2. Dre. Altoholic

This could be implemented as an account-wide option: Prevent my characters from being moved/deleted. Turning it off requires clicking a link sent to that account via email.
    code-zero and Varillian like this.
  3. Moege Augur

So these people know your eq password but doesn't know your email password ? That would be really odd.
  4. FrozenWater Augur

Not really, given EQ's password restrictions are still sitting back in 1999 somewhere. Is it still not permitted to use symbols in your password? My e-mail password is waaaaaaay more secure than my EQ password.
  5. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Unless someone chooses a password like "password123", a password to an account should be secure without needing symbols or other stuff. The most basic and important protection is the website/program not permitting more than a small number of attempts at a time. In other words, something like if you fail to enter it correctly 10 times in a row, you are locked out for a day.

Strangely enough, WordPress does not have this set by default, which I consider a HUGE security blunder. While I doubt Daybreak uses WordPress, anyone who does should as the first thing they do add a plugin that prevents that kind of attack.

So don't use your birthday, dog's name, or something that anyone can find out and you should be fine. And most importantly, don't give your password to anyone, and use a different password for every account.
  6. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

How many players have never updated their email? Lots. Esp if they have played for years, they prob forgot the old email or no longer have access to it. Many players just use(d) a free service now as they did back then so an even worse chance of having access to that email.

Email verification would also depend on the system. I have always wondered why out of all the accounts I have with the same email but only 2 get emails from DBG or whoever they are at the time. Why don't my other ones? And still other accounts with different emails than that one, don't get them at all. So could we really depend on email?

Cell phone verification goes along the same route really. Many no longer have that number or service or chose not to release the number to DBG (being they think they are aligned with some evil online entity and it will do something - not sure what on that one) Others, yes there are still some out there, do not have cell phones.

While I like the idea of a "block" that would not allow anyone to delete the character that is simply not solving the issue but creating more. Can you imagine the rage quitters who go into that "I have to delete everything EQ related off my computer!!!" and find out they cannot delete their character.

And then we hit the one where I have max characters and need to delete some to create new ones. There are many players who are at max character slots and create/delete frequently. So now you would need another way to verify its ok to delete that one. And CS isn't going to help on that one - to closely related to trying to get a character restored now.

Maybe isp since they use that already for requirements on TLP servers. Like you cannot delete your character unless you are on your "home" connection. But that one also has issues

Bottom line, don't share....not even your cookies
    Andarriel likes this.
  7. FrozenWater Augur

This is fundamentally incorrect.

And as for the rest of your post, why are we talking about wordpress? Do not rely on a service to shield you from a weak password by, for example, rate limiting login failures. And my original point about EQ's password restrictions being stuck in the 90s still stands.