Mage Pet Attack Help

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Laffsalot, Aug 10, 2014.

1. Laffsalot Journeyman

I have 3 heroic mages and am trying to learn how to cooperatively use their pets when multiple mobs are pulled to camp. I am using one merc healer set on reactive.

If I pull 3 mobs to camp, should I:

1. Have one pet tank, assume it will agro all 3 mobs. Set the other two mages to assist the agro tank pet. I would then have 3 pets attacking the same mob while the other two mobs are beating on the tank pet.

or:

2. Have the tank pet agro the 3 incoming mobs and send each of the other pets on one of the other adds. ie: pet 1 fighting mob 1, pet 2 fighting mob 2 and pet 3 fighting mob 3.

or:

Any other suggestions.

This is probably basic stuff for experienced mages but it is all new to me. I appreciate your assistance in helping me learn how manage my 3 new mages.
  2. dalead Elder

That depends on where you are fighting, what you are fighting and how you are fighting.

In current content, your 1 pet will not last vs 3 mobs with just 1 healer merc. If you are fighting non co-op mobs (such as undead), your 1 tank pet will not aggro all 3 mobs, just the one you send it on; unless the pet is the one that pulls the mobs, not you. The other 2 will come straight for you if you were the one doing the pulling.
    If you are using rains, you want a pet on each mob, even if it's just an RS on mobs 2 & 3 but those don't last very long right now, so I'd suggest a pet on each mob.
    If the content you are fighting is below your level and you are not using rains and vs co-op mobs, then the fastest way would be 1 pet aggroing 3 mobs and other 2 pets assisting to get your tank pet's target dead.

Hope that made sense. It's early.
  3. Laffsalot Journeyman

To sum up, if I am fighting non undead, my level mobs and using rain spells (which I think you are recommending) I should have a pet on each mob.

Do I have that right?

Will the rain spells damage my pets as well as the mobs? I have only been using Direct Damage spells to date.

Thanks for the help
  4. dalead Elder

Correct. Rains are more efficient and more damaging.

Fighting 1 mob: 1 rain = 3 waves of 1 hit to mob = 3 hits
    Fighting 2 mobs: 1 rain = 2 waves of 2 hits to each mob = 4 hits.
    Fighting 3 mobs: 1 rain = 1 wave of 1 hit to 2 mobs and 2 waves of 1 hit to 1 mob = 4 hits.

Rains will not dmg pets, however it will dmg you if you are standing in your own rain.

You can still fight undead. I was just pointing out that not all mobs will assist each other on your pet in the situation you listed above. You just have to be wary of what you are fighting.
  5. Laffsalot Journeyman

Interesting.
    I obviously don't understand rains.

I thought if I was fighting 3 mobs casting 1 rain spell would hit all 3 mobs with 3 waves of damage.

So that is wrong?
  6. IWP-test New Member

1 target: 3 waves of 1 hit (3 total hits);
    2 targets: 2 waves of 1 hit per target (4 total hits);
    3 targets: 2 waves, first hits all three mobs second hits your primary target only (4 total hits);
    4+ targets: 1 wave hitting your primary target and three others (4 total hits)