Lurking forums before I choose a TLP and..

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Skrem, Nov 14, 2019.

1. Skrem Journeyman

whats with all this drama between mangler cheaters/bots and VMware bans? I'm trying to find legit information from staff and I'm not seeing anything to alleviate my concerns on returning.

1. I use my laptop for work and study, which has VMware for my labs and OS flavors (yes- IT for 6+ years) If I load up and play EQ on my laptop, will I be banned?
    2. Is there any official response or action being taken against the bots/cheaters on mangler? I'm cool with (true)box toons but seeing automation and warping ruins it for me.
    Yinla and PotatoPower like this.
  2. voidtek1969 Lorekeeper

Are you going to have vmware running while you play EQ?
  3. DeseanJackson Augur

Your two questions go hand in hand currently. The action taken appears to be trying to eliminate mass boxing done through VMs. As for how it’s detected, I’d advise taking everything posted with a grain of salt. There is a lot of bad info on here, maybe just send a PM to Dreamweaver and ask?
  4. Skrem Journeyman

I wont have any VMs live while playing, but do I need to worry about services running? Because right now with no virtual machines running, i have 4 VM* services running
    Status Name DisplayName
    ------ ---- -----------
    Running VMAuthdService VMware Authorization Service
    Running VMnetDHCP VMware DHCP Service
    Running VMUSBArbService VMware USB Arbitration Service

Running VMware NAT Service VMware NAT Service
  5. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I think the question you are trying to ask is: What is DBG scanning for?

I doubt you'll get an answer, here is an answer directly from my friend who uses VM style programs for work. He's still 2 boxing no suspension no bans as of today.
  6. Skrem Journeyman

Basically I want to know if I need to isolate EQ to my gaming desktop in my room, or if I'm free to use my laptop and lounge on the couch to play EQ while watching old james bond movies on my TV. Maybe sneak in some sessions at work during slow days too.

Winter sucks, I'm just trying to pass some time comfortably.
  7. voidtek1969 Lorekeeper

But but but ... that doesn't fit the narrative of those pushing the vmware false positive agenda...
  8. Yolan Lorekeeper

Has any single boxer said they got suspended for having a VM? From what we could tell it was anyone with 2 accounts coming from a single IP where one box showed a VM process. Obviously no clue if this is fact or not but speculation.
  9. eXtraL New Member

I got suspended and im running one toon
  10. Yolan Lorekeeper

ok well that blows that theory out of the water lol.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Several.
  12. Skrem Journeyman

Well this is quite toxic.

No official responses regarding the VM processes or services or what not to run. I love EQ but not enough to sit at my gaming desktop after sitting at work all week.
    PotatoPower likes this.
  13. Boze TLP complaint factory

SKREM! You know which server you belong on!
    Skrem likes this.
  14. Hdizzle Augur

If this thread is toxic in your opinion then perhaps yoga or jogging might be a better use of your rec time.
  15. Hdizzle Augur

Just pick a server. If you are looking for a home server that will always have a stable community and the like to mess around on then TLPS are not your place. They are designed to encouraged rerolling every spring and the truebox penalty makes it annoying AF to stay on a low pop server.

Play on Live... its very fun even solo with mercs and you can level a quick alt or two to help … all from the convenience of one singular PC! anywhere you want!!!
  16. Skrem Journeyman

I spoke with a GM and basically they cant give away any "trade secrets", but I kind of have a better understanding and I should be okay with my laptop. Got a script in mind to stop all VM processess and services.

hahahah! oh man i'd down for my bst on phinny if I didnt miss so much. I was thinking of miragul , maybe mangler and redo my bst.
    Boze likes this.
  17. Berkwin Elder

What expansion is mangler on these days?
  18. laenar New Member

I have virtualbox for work/hobbyist stuff. I don't run it while I play, but even if I did, I'd say it's unlikely they are scanning your processes. I only play one account, I don't have the energy to try and box, let alone Truebox. I'm happy with just one account.

That being said, SoL releases this evening on Mangler, so it's still really early in the EQ timeline.
  19. Kloodge Elder

Until you hit the wall at 85+, no one to group with, and you get 0.09% per kill.

Join a guild and get PL'd or don't bother.
  20. Skrem Journeyman

tbh I hated having to box toons, even when it was on the same computer. I'd feel like on a live server, its almost a requirement to have some toons set to /follow.