Low level paladin hate generation

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Asnjas1, Aug 28, 2022.

1. Asnjas1 New Member

Lvl 27 paladin

So far I'm using desist and that spell that makes them blind forgot the name.

How do I tell what spells have good hate gen? Is the undead nuke better for hate than desist? It doesn't feel like.

Are those undead specialty summon hammers worth it on undead? Stat wise they seem inferior to my defiant ruined weapons.

Are there any heal shenanigans for hate gen? My healer merc takes all the aggro anytime there is multiple enemies and tanks them all. Can paladins apply this or our heals not strong enough? If i drop the heal merc and heal myself would that be superior to using desist and blind? Or even worthwhile?
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Use a tank merc until level 70ish regardless of your class. Then by that time you'll have lots of new aggro tools and can swap to a healer merc.
    Dre. likes this.
  3. Wulfhere Augur

If you care to learn your class, do not use a merc. A paladin can level on their own and learn their craft.

If you want to power level yourself, then use a wizard merc on AE Burn stance. Get some popcorn.

If you care about your topic, and you mention Desist (so SoL TLP or live, btw never use this spell), then your best hate spells are:

1. Flash of Light (on cool down)
    2. Cease (if you are starting in Sol)
    3. Heal (Minor, Light, Greater) and Yaulp for witness check ae hate
    5. Stun, Holy Might
    6. Root (for CC)

A paladin who spot heals for witness hate (before healer does, i.e. on incoming) and chains FoL (and/or Cease) and Stun (as needed) will always have all the tanking aggro (even over SK/War) thru level 60.
  4. Asnjas1 New Member

Yea I care about my topic lol.

Yea I'm on live drinal. 29 now. I don't have the most recent exposure.

Ok good. I've been using flash and desist. I thought desist was upgrade to cease? The spell des riptions in game don't help much

So I guess the summon undead hammers are garb.
  5. Szilent Augur

Cease & Desist don't share timers, you can use both. Later on, you'll get further stuns that directly upgrade previous ones.

Summon undead hammers were a thing 23 years ago when getting to level 29 took months & folks upgraded to Fine Steel swords that they looted from lisardmen. You can indeed do much better now basically without trying.
    Dre. likes this.
  6. Shillingworth Augur

At low levels I stuck to a combat rotation that consisted of: Yaulp, Cease, Desist, Stun, Taunt, Disarm, and Bash. That set of abilities and spells held up through everything until the Planes gave us more widespread access to hate procs and hate masks. Yaulp shouldn't be underestimated for it's hate generation potential, buff hate isn't a huge amount but repeatedly every 40 seconds or so adds up.
    Wulfhere likes this.
  7. Wulfhere Augur

Yes you can use Desist and Cease combo as said and it provides the same stun hate (400+ hate scaling up in proportion to the target NPC's hitpoints ). However Desist is the worst option because it has longer cast and recast times, and higher mana cost. If you are using your other abilities, then you don't need to waste mana or opportunity cost on Desist.
  8. Wulfhere Augur

Yes this is a fringe one that I have in my taunt macro. Beg also has some small amount of hate, but my paladins never beg (roleplay). I remember reading over a decade ago that the hate amount gets lower as your disarm/beg skill increases.
  9. Shillingworth Augur

I remember hearing the same thing but have never seen anyone parse it to determine if there really is any merit to it. The main problem with beg is that you have to turn off attack, beg, then turn it back on. While you can create a key that does, /attack off, /doabil, /attack on; it's not exactly reliable though given the state change before the doabil.
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

There is no hate to beg unless you get a critical failure. Which is almost impossible with max skill.
  11. Annastasya Augur

Don't forget to throw those rocks! And once you get to level where you can wave/group heal, that one has been pretty good too. (i've never played a high level pally, but have started several lowbies and run them thru to 50 or 60)
  12. Maedhros High King

When I saw the topic of this thread I assumed you meant that paladins generate low levels of hate and I was gonna be like, yep.
    Joules_Bianchi likes this.
  13. FranktheBank Augur

At lvl 27, you should just get a tank merc and let it carry you to 65-70.
  14. Stephen51 Augur

Are you in a full group of DPSers?

If as I guess based on the EQ population, you are not, and you are moloing or duoing with a friend, is agro generation your top priority?

I know when I Molo with a healer merc, albeit at a higher level, the merc never grabs agro especially with only one mob in camp.

Yes learn your class, and yes use a healer rather than a tank, but you dont need so much agro generation when it's just you and a merc. You may want to try for a little more DPS, so the kills go faster.

Do you want to be lvl 27 forever? (no because you are 29 already!)
  15. Szilent Augur

if you're moloing, as a knight at high level, you really ought to be on a dps merc
  16. Kirab Lorekeeper

You can also go to an old main city (kaladim, qeynos, kelethin, felwith etc) and find a melee augment vendor and get a wulfenite shard to stick in your weapon, they are a little pricy but add a stun proc to your weapon. Basially just load up all your stuns that don't share a CD (find out by casting them all, if they stay up after you cast one, its not on a shared CD) and spam your stuns, adding in the stun proc will help as well.

It's true though that a tank merc will power level you to 60ish, just rick click on it's name in the group window and set to main tank and it'll pretty much always keep threat off, that's a really boring way to play though especially if you're new/returning and trying to learn the game for the first time or relearn it again.

And if you're already using a tank merc and trying to keep threat off of it, you probably won't be able to. Swap to a melee DPS merc if you want to be the tank for that. even the wizard mercs at low lvl draw substantial threat.
  17. kenmei Augur

blind can lead to unforseen outcomes.
    taunt, yaulp and fast cast heals kept aggro for me, even when you dont need the heal. once you get aoe heals its a cakewalk to keep aggro. theres a reason at low levels they ask you to fill the role of cleric. and consider this, cleric get hella aggro. so fill the role, get alt skill up and taunt the mob while healer to get your def up too.
  18. Svann2 The Magnificent

The paladin hate comes from you being all too snooty.
    Oh, wait you meant agro. Nevermind!
  19. Ozon Augur

Don't worry about it, us SKs will still hate you when you are high level paladin.
    Flatchy likes this.