Looks like MMOs are going the battle pass route

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Hamshire, Sep 7, 2023.

1. Hamshire Augur

World of Warcraft got one
    Destiny got one
    New World got one
    Runescape got one
    [IMG]
    There could more im not listing and mainly making this thread because if Runescape got one then we could as well.....opinions?
  2. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Nothing in your post tells me what a "battle pass" actually is.

How is it different than being all-access?
    Hobs, Fanra, minimind and 4 others like this.
  3. Hamshire Augur

Thats actually a good question and for me hard to explain because different games do them in different ways, this is from the wiki.

In the video game industry, a battle pass is a type of monetization approach that provides additional content for a game usually through a tiered system, rewarding the player with in-game items for playing the game and completing specific challenges.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_pass

A short answer from me would be a rewards track that you would pay an additional 10$ to 20$ for that would reward things like mounts, hero forge, and things of the like that you would see from heritage crates and LoN packs.
  4. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Last I heard the WoW "battlepass" was free and didn't cost anything to players. Has that changed since it was launched?
  5. Hamshire Augur

Also a hard question to answer because they are being slimy with it, they have each month slowly risen the price on everything in the battle pass store while adding cosmetics to buy in the pay store that also gives extra currency for the battle pass store.
    [IMG]

Right before the release of pic above shop assets where datamined, people freaked out, they came out saying they wont outright sell them then they went with that with them most likely outright selling them down the line as they tend to do with most things.
    https://www.wowhead.com/news/traders-tender-shop-assets-added-on-patch-10-1-5-ptr-333488
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Don't dodge the question. They are using the "battlepass" as a way for players to get items that they would normally have to pay for by just logging in to the game and doing some quests. Have they actually started charging for it?

https://us.millenium.gg/news/28867.html

It seems like they added a new feature as a way to get items in game that you don't like so you turn around and bash it.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Hamshire Augur

Here is how this works from MY experience.

1. Battle pass is free
    2. Battle pass is free with the option to pay to skip tiers and or levels
    3. Battle pass costs money
    4. Battle pass costs money with the option to skip tiers and or levels

Im not giving you a full breakdown of the World of Warcraft battle pass system, I gave you a link to them adding currency bundles to the PTR and a picture of them selling a wrist ornament which also gives 200 currency ( this is them slowly but surely pushing there players to the free with the option to pay to skip tiers and or levels route. )

Back on topic, battle passes in mmos started within the last two years and they are spreading like wildfire. I don't know if the Runescape one costs money but it has the option to pay to skip tiers and or levels it looks like, here is a video breaking it down if anyone is curious.
  8. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

It's effectively a sub without calling it a sub.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Why are you dodging my question? Everything I have read on what was added to WoW is that it costs no money to use and there is not ways to skip things with money. You seem to be pressing hard on convincing people that this is costing money while avoiding the questions about how what was added to WoW doesn't cost money and lets people gets items that would normally cost real money for free.
  10. uberkingkong Augur

Battle pass been around for 8+ years now everyone that plays video games knows of it. If you been stuck in nothing but EQ, your not really a video game player. EQ is outdated on so many levels, its from 1999.

Diablo 4 and Quake Champions has it too.
    Basically play in some season, D4 season 1, QC during some season. The longer you play the more xp you get you naturally unlock rewards.

Then there is a paid tier, extra rewards, same concept. Thing is your paying for the stuff just to earn it, you don't pay to get right right away, you pay and have to spend hours to get the reward.

EQ should do it? Nah. It's kinda Vaniki server actually, but instead of beating raids you just earn x amount of xp and then you get rewarded for it.

EQ being outdated in not having battlepass, thats a good thing, I don't want battle pass. Eventually the developers stop delivering new stuff and people gonna complain the battle pass isn't as good as it was 5 years ago, there is hardly any new stuff

There is better things EQ can work such as EQ3, making raids harder, bring back the LoN card game, delivering on their promise of ship to ship combat, making races, more shrouds, night day cycles, weather, and so so so many other things this game has been slacking on since past 10+ years of doing minimal effort and making people comfortable with their efforts.
    Just like how video games today make people comfortable with DLC packs and unfinished games and so on.

Battle pass is like heroes forge in terms of keeping up to date with new stuff, they pushed it for a few years and now, crickets.

Battle pass has no appeal to draw in players, people don't get excited over battle passes, if there is one already there and thats how they do things, they get excited but if its a new feature to a game, there is no excitement for battle pass to be added.
    Thats like loot boxes, no one gets excited over loot boxes.
    The paid tier of battle pass usually has the nice/cool stuff.
    Battle pass loot boxes is just revenue streams for the game.

This game as you all say "does well in making money" no need for EQ3 to bring in hundreds of millions of $$$$ and millions of players
    If its doing so well why you wanna encourage battle pass and loot boxes?
    Do more actual game QoL more fun things to do in game stuff, not spend time on loot boxes and battle passes.

btw
    every other MMORPG when you have a new expansion that means EXPECT new visual armor. EQ has had many expansions, but the quality of these expansions are like D+ D+ D+ F D+.wheres the new armor visuals? what new thing have you done?

tradeskill depot? thats like a thing is given for free and expected on new games, and this is the big deal? this expansion is an F

15 years ago, lvl 60 armor. 15 years later, same armor visuals, even though I have completely new gear, same armor visuals since 15+ expansions.

15+ expansions and they couldn't put in new armor visuals?
    outdated, behind times, outta the loop (modern games, every other game new expansion = new armor visuals)

"Prefer the dev's to not work on this and do something else."
    No, I prefer to dev's not work on battle pass and do new armor visuals, ship to ship combat, night day cycles, weather, more interactive NPCs actually do stuff other than stand still static lifeless. 15+ years, haven't done squat.
    You've had 15+ years, I don't wanna hear about, you know 1-2 dev's are left and dev so small, they can only do so much. They had 15+ years what they do??? 2.0s? make EQ3 quit doing 2.0s. 2.0s means you should be doing EQ3 but your going about the wrong way.
    It's EQ2 failing while WoW succeeds your going about the wrong away again.
    It's like EQNext "not fun" and fortnite succeeds "very fun" your going about it the wrong way again.
    Make 2.0s instead EQ3 your going about it the wrong way again.

Best shooter game? Most popular? Fortnite. EQNext failed "wasn't fun"
    Best MMORPG? WoW. who failed? EQ2 failed thats who.
    Ironic how EQ can sense what the next big thing yet they don't do it right.

Got all the signs in these videos right here, this is what gamers are looking forward to in the next big thing.

then you just checkmark off expectations like
    night/day cycle
    weather
    interactive/interaction npcs
    ships/mounts
    enhanced market
    VR
    AI
    enhanced character, being able to take a 3d photo of your face and use your face in game (Quake 3 promised this, that was over a decade ago)
    and so on

On EQ's engine years
    On a modern engine, within 2 years
    all that logic is already done, use the repo for AI logic, use the repo for ships logic, use the repo for VR logic. DOne. 1 person Done.
    Hamshire likes this.
  11. Riou EQResource

The base one is free and you have to play the game to advance its equivalent, but you can only buy so much of the list per month with the earned in game currency, if you want to get more things (or skip doing quests) you can pay real life money to get currency (though iirc it was only equivalent to half of what you could get playing the game, dunno if can repeat purchase it), but don't know if some of the items will be reused or not elsewhere
    Skuz likes this.
  12. Hamshire Augur

Yea I personally don't want another battle pass myself and would prefer the things you listed, def VR. EQ could sell its-self as the biggest VR MMO for the next decade or two if they could get it working. Just blows my mind that Runescape for a battle pass, figured with older games like ours that putting a battle pass in would be to difficult but then there it was and if Runescape can make it happen then we could easily be next. I believe World of Warcraft, New World, and Runescape all got battle passes put into them this year too.
  13. Waring_McMarrin Augur

This provides what I was trying to understand if the WoW system was completely free or there was a wat to pay to advance faster.
  14. Riou EQResource

There was a Gamespot interview with Holly and it was brought up there, the question made it seem like people might not like the idea, but they were trying it out so far
  15. Doranur_Aleguzzler Filthy Casual™

I've not limited myself to only EQ, yet I have never played a game with a battle pass. I don't care if I fit into your tiny little box labeled "real gamer" either.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Don't engage.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.