Looking for SK Macros & Suggestions

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Cintile, Jan 30, 2023.

1. Cintile Lorekeeper

Ok, so I got my SK to 111, which is close to where I intend to stay for a little bit while I work up my AA's. The discouragement that I'm running into is all the AA's, all the hate AA buttons, and trying to understand what I should be using a majority of the time. I'm finding its way easier to do content on my BST where pet handles all the tanking just fine, than I am playing the SK, but from what I understand, when it comes to really doing progression and helping guildies, I'm going to want the SK instead.

I have watch the video everyone recommended about setting up the number pad with the spell gems so you can spam lifetaps, ect. I have that set up.

What I'm looking for, is what is your spam macro, what is your burn macro, and what is your oh crap, I need defense because I have 3 mobs macro? I typically like to have my bp click on my spam macro so its going off whenever its available. I did find this article and maybe its the best info I'm going to find? http://eqshadowknight.net/showthread.php?t=9052

As far as AA, I'm under the impression that the following are the must get now AA's?
    Under General AAs:
    CA
    CS
    Armor of Wisdom
    General Sturdiness
    Natural Durability

Side note, I'm on FV, looking for a full set of 110 raid gear. I believe Veiled Vic is the best option if I'm not mistaken, also need the non-visible. If you have this just collecting dust, let me know.
  2. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I don't agree with a lot in that guide.

1. Don't multibind Dissident/Composite/Ecliptic/etc. This is an emergency heal ability, you don't want (or need) it on cooldown constantly.
    2. I don't use Terror anymore. Save the spellslot and just use Protest for your tagging/initial agro needs.
    3. xxx Bargain. I rarely load this. I just don't see the need between Insidious xxx and our AA AEs.
    4. Bond of xxx. This spell sucks, in my opinion. Even the highest level version only heals for 21k (it does not crit) every 6 seconds. That's not keeping anyone alive against anything.
    5. Keep Spear loaded at all times. This spell is huge agro and DPS, it should never leave your spellbar.
    6. You'll want to keep Touch of Hemofax (and later versions, eventually) loaded at all times as a grouping SK so you can keep the recourse buff on you constantly.
    7. DoTs. If you can fit them on the bar, they're ok. They will eat your mana though.
    8. Clicking off Guardian disc. Horrible idea and I have never supported it. It's one of our main defensive discs and so many SKs propose wasting it just to get a little defensive lifetap proc. And this guide recommends using it for your burn which is... not beneficial.
    As far as AAs go, get the General ones you mentioned up to semi recent (auto grant may do that), then focus on Focus, Class, and Archetype AAs. Those will be the biggest gains across the board.
    I don't use a lot of macros (they cause issues), but things open for spamming would be Spurn, Wounding Blade, and Vicious Bite of Chaos (optional, but it helps keeps mana up). Other than that, I multibind Spear and 3 lifetaps (current Dissident, current Touch, and previous Touch; not the ones that give buffs, those are slow cast). You may want 1 extra Touch depending your Hastened Lifetaps AA level.
    For burns, I either manually click things, or if I'm just doing an all-out burn, I have a macro that triggers Visage of Decay, Gift of the Quick Spear, Sanguine Blade (Claret Blade for your level), Unholy Aura, and Spire. Then just mash the multibind (make sure Spear is on it). T'Vyl's Resolve the burn target if you don't have a Bard hitting Funeral Dirge.
    Defense stuff? Use Shield Flash as necessary (make sure you have a shield equipped). Cycle Carapace (or Influence), Mantle, and Guardian discs. Deflection if things get real bad. Veil of Darkness I typically keep for its defensive utility.
    If you don't have it, get your 2.0. Keep it on cooldown.
    Quatr likes this.
  3. Cintile Lorekeeper

So far I have the 1.5. What do you mean by keep it on cooldown? Does this mean use it whenever its up? Sort of like how I use the BP click?

thanks for the suggestions.
  4. Windance Augur

I am not a SK expert but I have played one on TV. ( so this probably isn't the best advice )

I would set up your spam key to cycle through shield flash, your epic, then your first 7-8 spell gems (life taps)

You should be using your defensive discs early and often:

Cursed Guardian
    Krelinakor Mantel
    Tylix's Carapace
    Spite of Kra'du

For a better walk through I'd suggest checking out Freelance. If it works for raiding, it will work for groups!

http://forums.eqfreelance.net/
  5. Warpeace Augur

No...no...no and no!!!

Why would you ever blow a mini Deflection disc in a spam key:confused:
  6. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Basically yes. Use it whenever it's available. Obviously if you know something "hard" is coming up, you can hold onto it.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Two questions:

1 - I've never seen Spite of XXX mentioned when talking about SK defensives. Looking at the description, it lowers melee output but debuffs the mob's AC, and provides a lifetap recourse. Nice, but not really a defensive, as it doesn't lower incoming damage, as the others mentioned here do.

2 - Noticed there's an upgrade at 114 (Miranella), but nothing at 119. Just curious why that is.
    Raptorjesus5 likes this.
  8. Syylke_EMarr Augur

Spite is... something? If everything else (including Epic) is on cooldown, sure you can use it for some (very minimal) added lifetap healing. It's not much, but if it's the only thing left, it's something. Don't expect it to keep you alive though. I've never actually hit the disc outside of just testing to see what it did.

As far as #2 goes, hopefully they've discontinued upgrading it in favor of things that actually get used.
  9. Brickhaus Augur

You should have a shield flash macro that switches to your 1h + shield (which should be one of your bandolier settings) then activates shield flash (because it is wasted if you aren't wearing a shield). Then there should be a /timer xxxx in the macro that is your current shield flash cooldown length (so the button stays depressed until shield flash renews).

I use /pause in mine because I occasionally encountered issues with lag but your mileage may vary. Here's mine on my paladin:
    /pause 2, /bandolier activate 1hshield
    /pause 3, /alt activate 1112
    /timer 2400

I have that macro set up to easily trigger. If I accidently activate it, it's usually not crushing. You should have something similar for Deflection (because again ... want a shield when running) but make sure it's not as easily hit.
    Celephane, Windance and Vumad like this.
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

I'm a terrible SHD, but that's why I am chiming in here I guess. I box SHD so the way a play is a little different than real SHD. For instance, I don't DPS multiple mobs, and tell people with me not too, so I am not doing a very good job with AE aggro. I have to keep things pretty simple boxing, and I am thinking maybe that is a good starting point for a new SHD.

Again, this may not be the optimal SHD way to play but I think it can work well for a new SHD to get things rolling...

For multibind.., I am using /disc Repudiate, Dire Censure, Touch of Txiki, Touch of Drendar, Touch of T'yvem. Spear, Rending Blade and Bite of Chaos have a place in the multibind.

You can setup a hotbar of each of theses below and just go left to right until you figure out what you want to do.

For splitting pulls, I use Hate's Attraction then Deaths Effigy. For pulling I am using Parlay for Power and Hate's Attraction. Rest the Dead and Encroaching Darkness can go on this bar.

For panic heals, I am using Ecliptic Fang and Leech touch. For cures, Purity of Death.

For AE Aggro, I am using Insideous Renunciation, Explosion of Hate and Explosion of Spite.
    (I also have Stream of Hated on my bar but I use it much less.)

For defensives, I am using Xethag's Carapace > Fyrthek Mantle > Unholy Disc Aura > Corrupted Guardian. Revers Bargin I click with Xethag on named since I understand them to stack. I think you can use your BP and Epic anytime you like but I don't have the epic. Just work left to right until nothing is up.

Shield Flash and Deflection can be used on big pulls but remember you have to have a shield up and be ready to click the next disc quickly. Since I am boxing these timers work against me so I often don't use these unless I am not boxing.

For burning named, I use Harm touch, Visage of death / decay, Tvyl's Resolve, Chattering bones, Gift of the quick spear. Can use Veil of darkness on named for the debuff.
    Secondary burn is Spire of the reavers and Visage of death / decay

For aggro specifically, remember Taunt doesn't do anything if you are already 100% on mob aggro.
    Ageless Emnity (Super taunt)
    Veil of Darkness (Aggro+Debuff)
    Projection of Doom (Aggro+More aggro over time)

If you want a bar for buffs... Dark Lords Unity, Familiar clicky, Adamant Stance, Xenaciouis Skin, Touch of Namdraws, Voice of Thule and I would put Bobby Corpse and Thought leech (mana tap) on this bar.

So again if you find this all overwhelming, just make a hotbar for each job you want to do and set things up left to right and just click through that bar as you need to.

For Audio triggers, I have...
    You are no longer in a defensive stance. (Recast adamant stance)
    The voice of nightmares fades. (recast voice of thule)
    The skin rots away. (recast Xenacious Skin)
    The gift of dark energy fades. (recast gift of namdraws)

When buying AA, Passives are very valuable because you don't need any skill to use them. Combat ability/agility are always working no matter how good you are at playing the SHD. While Discs, spells and other abilities have to be activated. So, if you don't know what to do, you can't go wrong with passives.

Thanks, I don't have that hotkey and will make it.
    Sprooce and Metanis like this.
  11. Cintile Lorekeeper

So are you guys primary using 1h + Shield, or are you going with a 2h? and just switching to the 1h + Shield during harsh pulls or named mobs?
  12. Notinterested Augur

Its 21k per tick, per mob and the dot can twincast which results in 2 heals for that tick.

21k for 7 ticks is 147k healing. Thats base duration before mods/AA with 0 twincasts. How will that NOT keep you alive?

For the sake of perspective the current Cleric/Shaman HoTs heal for about 15k a tick for only 4 ticks before mods/AA.

Its not "Huge DPS" by any stretch of the imagination even at 120 with max focus AA. At OPs level missing focus AA its going to be just ok at best.

Its certainly good but "must be loaded at all times" is a wild stretch.

At 110 like OP likely heading into ToV i would use terror. Cascading theft of defense isnt great but every little bit helps.

What you are saying is mostly solid advice for a geared 120 with max AA. You are just plain wrong about bond.

IMO terror instead of spear while leveling. When you have the focus and dont need every little bit of survival switch terror for spear. Definitely use bond... If the mob will live for the duration its a good deal of health and damage.
  13. Wulfhere Augur

Spite is comparable to paladin's Blunted Blade disc. They both provide modified offense and some defensive healing. For paladins, the (group) healing happens because of synergy with Healing Light AA.
  14. Notinterested Augur

At 110 you will be going into ToV content. You will likely be sword and board for a while.
  15. Syylke_EMarr Augur

I'd much rather avoid the extended spell lockout from casting Bond and cast another lifetap. I also rarely have enough mobs living long enough for the "per mob" to matter. If OP feels that mobs may live long enough for ~17k per tick from Bond of Vulak (per mob, possibly) to matter, feel free to use it. Consider my opinion on Bond to be a dissenting one based on experience.

Also, even on a twincast, Bond still only heals once per tick.
    Code:
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:25 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 713458 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Lucky Critical Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:25 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:31 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 683038 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Critical Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:31 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:37 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 694792 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Critical Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:37 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:43 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 90136 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:43 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:49 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 671396 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Lucky Critical Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:49 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:55 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 644012 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Critical Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:19:55 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:20:01 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 692806 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Critical Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:20:01 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:20:07 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 96018 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:20:07 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.
    [Mon Jan 30 15:20:13 2023] Combat Dummy Azia has taken 632260 damage from your Bond of Bynn Rk. III. (Critical Twincast)
    [Mon Jan 30 15:20:13 2023] You healed Andien for 0 (21099) hit points by Bond of Bynn Rk. III.

If Spear isn't your top DPS spell, you're not using it enough.

Personally, I didn't like the idea of partially depending on a proc from Terror for survival, so I opted for more Lifetap spamming.
    Celephane likes this.
  16. eqgamer Augur

Hurs one for ya. I macro hate step + invis.
  17. Windance Augur

While I was leveling up with a SK I was mostly 1h + shield unless I had good burns going with epic in which case I would run 2H.

Once you're gear + aa + play style gets better you'll find you can roll with 2H more often.

Now that I'm maxed out I'm almost always running 2H unless its an oh moment.
  18. Notinterested Augur

For a substantial loss in healing, it makes no sense. Your reasoning just makes no sense. From your own parse your bond healed you for 189,000 health from a single cast meanwhile doing almost the same damage as our top DoTs...

OP is 110 heading into ToV... Not using bond would be like a cleric not using HoTs. Just why...

You can say that again...
    You may be right on that ill have to recheck. I thought i tested this and and got 2 heals from twincasts but i could be misremembering.

If you say so...

You can literally do both if you drop spear. You can have the extra lifetap and proc from terror for a small DPS loss... ;)
  19. Celephane Augur

I don't bond, just lifetap, I have no issues, never have for not using it
  20. Flatchy Court Jester

I add /stand and then do ability invis (whatever one you choose to use) Then Im ready to dott for the rest of the pull.
    Metanis likes this.