Loading skills on skill bar

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Louly, May 29, 2014.

1. Louly New Member

Hi,
    I've only played EQ2 and a few others and usually I just load the new skill on the bar.

Well when my wizard dinged lvl 5 I bought a lot of lvl 5 and lower spells. But I can't load even one on the skill bar. I've googled it, looked on this forum and it talks about spell gems? I've memorized them somehow. So I right clicked and dragged the spell and it won't load.
    What am I doing wrong. I feel rather dumb and frustrated lol
    Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Louly
  2. Yther Augur

There's a spell bar. 8 oval slots to start with and book icon at the bottom. Hit the book to open your spell book or use the /book command. Or if you have context menus enabled in Options (Alt+O), you can right-click an oval slot to bring up a menu of spells you have in your spell book.

The spell bar is the only place you can assign spells. In other words, you can only have 8 to start with spells available without re-memorizing some thing else. Much unlike EQ2 where you can cast any spell you know. Alt+# is the default short cut for casting spell gems 1-8 or however many you have. You can earn more slots at higher levels with alternative advancement points.

Any for hot keys, the simple way is to click and hold a spell gem until it appears on your cursor, then place it in hotbar hot key slot. All this will do is cast the spell gem number when you click it, same as clicking that spell gem. If you change the spell in the spell gem, the hot key will change to match the spell gem change. The simple macro command that does the same thing is /cast # where # is the spell gem number (1 at the top).

This video kinda shows how to do it, using the old UI, but it's the same principle.

If that doesn't make sense, point out what doesn't and I'll try to use more detail to re-explain it.

EDIT: Oops I forgot to explain the method the video shows. Open the spell book, find the spell you want. Click and hold until the spell appears on your cursor, then click on an empty spell gem to mem the spell. Many people use the right-click now-a-days since it's auto-organized unlike some spell books.

Yther Ore.
  3. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

It sounds to me like you have wrote them down in your spell book, but not EQ memorized them. You have a spell book(alt+B iirc) which holds all of the spells you have learned, and you have your spell gems (Alt+S maybe?) which are the spells you currently have memorized and can cast currently. You can then put the spell gems in your hotkey bars (which I am guessing is what you are calling your skill bar).
  4. Louly New Member

Thank you both so much. :) I see now what to do. Alt S and there are those ovals lol and on the hot bar were 3 ovals so I can put 3 there. Must be all I can use now. But I thought I could put them anywere like EQ2 lol so much to learn. The video helped to because then I saw what the spell gem looked like.

Very much appreciate the help :D
  5. feiddan Augur

EQ2 allows for unlimited spells-at-hand.

EQ1 forces you to make decisions about this. At low levels, it's only 8 available spells at once, but this does increase a little with AA's at higher levels.
  6. chaoz_sk Journeyman

You can also create a macro (using /cast X to cast the spell in spell gem X) and place it on your hotbar.
  7. Sebbina Augur

You can place what you want on the hot bars, the 3 ovals for spells are just a default, and you can use the EQ button to get to actions and have more hot bars up, maybe put combat onto the prime hot bar and buffs- gate- origin onto a different hot bar.
  8. Aliora New Member

If your spell gems are full and you only occasionally need to cast a single spell or two, and never need to cast said spells in an emergency, you can create a macro along these lines.

/pause 70, /mempellset Quickspell
    /pause (spelldelay*10 + 15), /cast 1
    /memspellset Combat

(Quickspell is the Spell list name. The initial 70 delay---7 seconds---can be adjusted for your memorization speed, at need.)

It's good for those occasional buffs like a DS or SoW that you generally only cast by itself due to an odd duration. Using such in combat can be very risky unless the situation is very controlled. So beware.

Also, when making single spell spell sets, let only the spell you need reside there and let the rest of the gems be blank. This will allow for much faster rememing of your original spells to get you back to your default setup.

~A