Level at my own pace possible?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Agrippa, Oct 4, 2022.

1. Agrippa Augur

I've really been itching to return to Norrath, but I can't get beyond the fast-as-hell leveling that is forced upon players, even on the progressive servers. Are there any options available, from the beginning, that would allow me to level a character at my own pace? At 51st level, the alternate advancement system becomes available, along with expendable glyphs. World of Warcraft has its Experience Exterminators. Lord of the Rings Online has its Stone of the Tortoise. Would joining a fellowship and sharing all of my experience work towards this purpose?
  2. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Just die.

Seriously. Help a necromancer make Essence Emeralds, roll a box alt necro of your own and sacrifice XP to the necro to make essence Emeralds, which bazaar for 200 PP ish.

After level 6 you lose XP on a death. If you're not trying to level, shedding XP is easy.

A case in point -

I have a perma level 52 Naggy / Vox killler in all slots Intricate Defiants, which, as far as purchased Jewelry items of the defiant set, the merchant does not show the next rank of defiants until you are halfway through it's reommended level range, so had to level to 55 to buy intricate defiant jewelry, then deleveled again once equipped.

Binding next to a city guard or something and smack it once, die, rinse and repeat also works if you want to discard XP quickly.

I'm with you, I hate killing grey con trash for low level quests, they're better at level. I have done this on Lowbies before to go through multiple newbie area quest lines without being ridiculously over level for the content.
  3. Agrippa Augur

Just dying would certainly work, but it'd be extremely annoying to have to do it frequently. I am seeing, though, that there are two progressive servers that claim to have "classic" experience rates. I don't recall every trying either of them and experience might come slowly enough there that overleveling wouldn't be a constant problem. Can anyone verify if this is accurate? Would I be able to spend reasonable amounts of time in any dungeons, fully exploring them, obtaining all of the sets of gear, doing all of the related quests, etc. without completely outleveling them in the process on these two servers?
  4. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

All of the TLPs start with slower XP and the XP eventually catches up to live. Even in that environment, doing ALL available level quests will outlevel you before you finish the level range. TLPs also have pretty fast expansion releases, consuming all that completionist content before the XP rates increase may be challenging.

Under level 51, smacking a guard to debuff XP is <very> easy and after 51 you can just dump 100% XP into AA and use fireworks and glyphs to burn it off (dying is still MUCH faster)
  5. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

How slow do you want to go?

Don't use a merc, that will slow you down

Don't use Overseer

There are "hell" levels in the game where experience slows way down

Do tradeskills if leveling gets too fast.

I came back to the game around level 65 about 10 years ago and it has taken me this long to get to level 119. I get sidetracked a lot and really am not in it for the experience gain. I don't really see any benefit to being level 120
    code-zero likes this.
  6. code-zero Augur

I've dawdled along "at my own pace" and I've just played and leveled up and I will say that just playing and leveling up is a lot more fun
  7. Treiln Augur

Turn auto-grant AAs off. This will slow you down a lot as wel. Especially once you hit 65+ and AA count starts ramping up :)
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

Don't slow down XP, etc. Simply sell sacrifices to Necromancers. Play at the same level as long as you like and make some extra plat in the process.

If you are asking about finding groups in older content, just box. Even boxing a Wizard and leaving it sit there doing nothing gives you a second merc, so you have tank and healer covered. Otherwise, don't box and play a class that covers the basics, like a NEC, BST, Tank, MAG, etc and use a healer merc, or SHM, DRU and use a WAR/ROG merc.
  9. Herf Augur

Agnarr has an xp rate that is faster than classic, but slower than many other servers. More to the point, it's locked at PoP/Ykesha/LDoN, so whatever pace you chose to lvl at you'll never be chasing the next expansion to unlock. Only thing is, for you, if you want to lvl slowly you may find you're doing it alone.

New crops of boxes and alts show up on Agnarr pretty regularly (particularly around the XP bonus times as will arrive in a week or so) but people generally work to get to lvl 43 so they can group with any lvl up to 65, or to 46 so they can get the high lvl free buffs people all give in PoK on Agnarr. It's a small but enthusiastic population. It just depends on what you're looking for.
  10. Skuz I am become Wrath, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Autogrant off & set AAXP to 90% plenty slow enough.
    Stymie and code-zero like this.
  11. code-zero Augur

I really can't wrap my head around the OP as I consider it. A while back I thought that for amusement I'd return to some old city zones tom make some new characters and do it "old school";

I was never more frustrated and bored in my life. Even boxing after a while with a friend boxing as well to help fill out a group progress was grimly lacking and Orc Hill was just tedious.
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

You just described "old school" ;)
    Joules_Bianchi, Stymie and code-zero like this.
  13. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I really don't understand this at all. Nothing is forced on anybody. No one holds a gun to your head, and says "You must level faster!". Level at whatever speed you want.

14. Grimvalor New Member

do not do it, it is farmed by krono junkes and scammers, not worth it in current state imo
  15. Agrippa Augur

"Just dying" goes pretty slow. Also, I've learned that, on regular servers at least, necromancers have an easier method of obtaining unlimited emeralds. Not one person took me up on the offer to sack a few levels. So I ended up binding at the West Freeport gates to whack a few guards. After completely overleveling Befallen, I'm deleveling to 6th level again, but only losing 1-2% of a level per death. That's 50-100 corpses left at the gates per level. Not very practical at all.
  16. Joules_Bianchi A certain gnome

Literally the next thing after Just die (which is actually pretty fast if you bind at a guard and attack on respawn)

Literally the next line:

Seriously. Help a necromancer make Essence Emeralds, roll a box alt necro of your own and sacrifice XP to the necro to make essence Emeralds, which bazaar for 200 PP ish.

and FWIW all of this is meaningless after level 51 where XP can be set to 100% to AAs and spend them on fireworks and glyphs.

This thread is a meme.
    Tatanka and Nennius like this.