Level 100 heroic characters

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Meth, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Benito EQ player since 2001.

If you buy a near max level Heroic Character, you are "winning" with levels and gear (power). Additionally, we don't know if they will include past expansion progression (AA unlocks, Tears of Alaris, or Jann's Veil).

As I stated above: While you personally may accept near max level Heroic Characters as permissible 'Pay to Shortcut', there are others who see them at morally offensive 'Pay to Win.'

I can already see the usual critics saying, "We shouldn't have to pay $35 to play in current content; make Heroic Characters free. Why do I have to watch my friends and other players who paid $35 get to play in latest content while I sit on the sidelines?" There's something about a gulf between Heroic Characters and max level that currently makes it very palatable and less obligatory.
  2. FranktheBank Augur

So you prefer players coming back / new players to have to rely on high levels to carry them from lvl 100 to 115+?
    Skuz likes this.
  3. Benito EQ player since 2001.

1. Most people who play EverQuest box or are open to boxing.

2. Pet classes and mercenaries can augment power at lower levels.

3. Achievement XP and Overseer can augment catch up.

4. The EQ community is friendly. Most players are willing to help - either through knowledge or grouping up.

While, personally I do not mind a near max level HC, I am cognizant of the perception by some that it may be 'Pay-to-Win' (and 'Forced to Pay'/'Pay to Play') if too close to the end game. I think the devs are aware of that balance.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  4. DeadRagarr Augur

Literally nobody is asking for free heroics, and I highly doubt anyone with any sense is going to think they would just give them away aside from special promotions.

The fact you seem to ramble on about that is odd. You can comb this entire thread and nobody that I recall has ever mentioned free heroics. Well Aside from you.
    Barraind likes this.
  5. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It's been brought up on the forums before.

People will move the goalposts. They will clamor for a 110-115 Heroic Character then, when it gets released, demand that it be cheap or free. That's human nature.

I believe there's a concept in psychology where people feel depressed after they compare themselves with others. I think that could be a factor if some people perceive the $35 Heroic Character (that takes one very close or instantly to current content) as a barrier to play.
  6. DeadRagarr Augur

Links?
  7. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I've read where players have stated that Heroic Characters should be free at this point in the game's life (for Live).

The forum search function is not friendly for keywords (beyond exact phrase matching) and Google results is crowded by posts about the Free HC Daybreak gives every 3-4 years otherwise I probably would have a link for you in reasonable time.
  8. Vumad Cape Wearer

I thought the game ended when I finished my ACH window and my tradeskills? Has anyone gotten there and seen the credits roll?

Current content is not the end game. It is where most people are playing and the best gear comes from. A L110 still has 5 expansions to play. The rest of us only have 1. Even then, most people don't finish all of the current expansion check boxes before the next one launches. Plenty of people at the "end game" who played each expansion as it launched are still playing back missing ACH.

Players wont run out of things to do at 110 unless they play so much that they don't have a reason to buy a heroic in the first place.
  9. DeadRagarr Augur

Thats a weird way to spell out I can't find it.

Once again though, no reasonable person is asking for 100% free heroics. In this thread it hadn't been brought up until you did for some odd reason.
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I'm a forum veteran. (Yeah, sounds like "just trust me, bro.")

I am not going to spend 3 hours of my life to find 2-3 posts that corroborates my statement only to have you parry or deflect the discussion.
    Wyndar likes this.
  11. Benito EQ player since 2001.

It's called anticipating the argument. If Heroic Characters are Level 110 and people complain about the cost (which is all but likely), I will refer to my posts here and cash in the receipts.

1. Free Heroics has been brought up in the past. Though, the nuance of the argument was that this game is so old that Heroic Characters should be standard.

2. People complain about price points all of the time. The debate will rage more so if the latest HCs can cover most of the game's content.

3. People will see a near end game Heroic Character as a necessary prerequisite to even play (on Live) and a $35 barrier to play.
  12. Tappin Augur

Your missing the point. Most of the older more modern content is either harder or slower that it was originally (thanks to nerfs). DP really needs to go back and adjust old content when when they have any major nerfs. However, that would be costly endeavor with little return.
  13. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

A level 115 HC is a Win button. If that's what the people want, give it to them.
  14. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

To hell with this whole argument.

Just let people buy levels. Let them buy gear. Let them buy instant kills. Give them whatever they want.

Doesn't matter - you'll still ask for more.
  15. Benito EQ player since 2001.

We should have a bidding war for raid instant win. Richest guild wins.
  16. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Live streamed. Hire $medley to MC. Every time someone donates during the stream graphics flash on the screen that read "This is not a slippery slope".
    Benito likes this.
  17. Vaeeldar Augur

This might be valid if those of us who have been playing couldn’t plevel a char to 115 in a few days. It’s not buying power it’s making it easier for new players to come back. Simple as that. Why you even care when it’s a joke to hit 115 is mind blowing to me.
  18. Benito EQ player since 2001.

You're not addressing me, I'm curious: How do you get a level 115 character in "a few days"? What is the strat (tactics and zone)?
  19. Pelrond Elder

Something like the heroes journey but remove all the tedious repetitive quests and raids. Just do hot zone to hot zone progression quests from 1 to 100 (or 110).
  20. Vaeeldar Augur

This isn’t rocket science. The longest period is literally 112-113. 110 takes no time then you have about 25-30 hours of grinding to hit 113 and then you just knock out the missions. I haven’t played with the partisan quested for levels to see if it would go faster.