Landmark folks been busy with Qeynos!

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dandy, Apr 5, 2015.

1. Dandy Augur

Check out what the players have been up to with Qeynos. Keep in mind these are all more or less concept pieces.

Not sure I'm even allowed to post this here due to the lack of an off topic section. But I figured some of you might dig it.

The video was made by the La Forge guild.
  2. Ducreux Augur

Cool designs, but doesn't make me think of Qeynos.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  3. taliefer Augur

looks like the setting of a disney movie
    Zoggzog likes this.
  4. Zoggzog Elder

I don't know, but when I think of Qeynos, I think simplistic human structures with lots of right angles. Qeynos buildings should look more like a medieval England town. Lots of crossbeams, square windows, more "homey" and nondescript. That seemed more like elven construction, with fluted roofs and windows. Everything is far too decorative and fanciful, in my opinion.
    Ferry-Tunare likes this.
  5. Reht The Dude abides...

Definitely cool but has more of a WoW feeling to me than EQ.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  6. Rhoulicas Augur

Yeah that's amazing. All the beauty of the game doesn't outweigh the poor concepts of combat and lack of levels. They took the D and D right out of the game, stripping it of testosterone.
  7. Dandy Augur

It is indeed a very different kind of Qeynos. It's no longer a human city. It's a ~10 year old city inhabited by a lot of different races. The ogres are responsible for the stone foundations and the elves play a big part in the fancy architecture.

IMO, this has been the best workshop yet. Not due to the style, but because of the progress they've made in working with the players. They seem to be learning as they go. They started teaching level design and how the interiors should be built with the camera and combat in mind. The "style guide" was also much more fleshed out than previous ones.

IMO, the biggest negative is that they axed the flying saucer! :(
    Zoggzog likes this.
  8. Randragon Augur

The should put some lore in there and say the Flying Saucer went back to Planet Verant.
    Zoggzog and Dandy like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

That is not Qeyons!
  10. Benito EQ player since 2001.

I think the art is creative but it doesn't give the "feel" of EverQuest. No offense.

I fear that the "crowd-sourcing" concept will force developers to appease the base and only lead to inconsistent architecture and design.

I know Rosie Rappaport (Art Lead) helped to design EQ during the Verant era. She may have even designed EQ1's Qeynos. It would be nice to have a more editorial feel from her. (I understand there is "guidance" for each workshop).

Don't get me wrong. Player Studio and crowd sourcing is great for non-primary elements of the game.
  11. Slasher Augur

Its not an RPG its minecraft on roids literally it was never meant to be an RPG its a building game.

So many creative designs in that video and all created by players.
    Zoggzog likes this.
  12. Dandy Augur

This is also a fear of mine. A lot of the players, including some of the most skilled builders like to encourage each other to break the rules when it comes to the style guide. The guild that made that video are some of the best builders in the game. Yet they ignored feedback from the devs on an amazing Qeynos build they did and in my opinion it ruined that project. The devs will either have to fix it, or just not use it.
    Melanippe and Benito like this.
  13. Random_Enchanter Augur

I think the first 6 scenes work very well for the design of 'qeynos' with the waterfall from nowhere being a rather cool mage/caster guild look but not a 'qeynos' style look. Just my two cents (one and a half?o_O )
    Its all usable in the same 'city' If wanted, but should be separated into different parts of the city. IE the cool looking waterfall area at 55 seconds into could be placed outside the 'base city' into the harbor/sea area giving it a 'temple' style effect that due to city growth had to be magically enhanced/expanded
  14. Dandy Augur

You might be interested in this piece from the style guide. The fancier builds will be in the royal area, plain builds in the commons etc.

[IMG]
  15. Random_Enchanter Augur

while cool, as some one who deals with process flows and the other inane aspects of planning, I really must question why the city is so 'far' from the river's mouth/waterfall as the landmass that the city is on screams human intervention to me. Additionally the kid in me screams "water slide!!" at the possibility of having the river height relative to the landmass. But that is details and overall looks like a cool concept that i hope has some hashed out (semi logical) thought behind it.

and no beaches?!? crab people and other lowland (lowwater?) marine anthro-morphs as well as beach gear sporting races should be outside picketing! (trolls includedo_O )