krono scam

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by glitchen, Feb 22, 2022.

1. Siah Elder

Yeah... but it still makes it a scam.. Just like if I posted a picture of a GPU I wanted to sell and someone buys it. However, I send them a picture of a GPU instead of a GPU itself and that's what they get.. Similarly, you search the price, see the price and that's what you expect when you go to buy it. Not the best example, but yeah, doesn't make it any less of a scam is what I'm trying to say.
  2. Elabone Augur

This always confused me. We've known this was a thing for what seems like months now, and yet people are still falling for it.

Just dont sell your krono within 3 seconds of opening the barter. open it, double check the price. Close it, open it again... like this "scam" should never ever work.

Its just as bad as the "copper" scam back in the early 00's.
    Waring_McMarrin likes this.
  3. Bernel Augur

I don't think anyone disagrees that the buyer should beware. But not everyone reads the forums to know about these kinds of scams.

In any case, it would be relatively low effort for DB to make some simple changes which could greatly lessen the ability for the scammers to pull this scam and the chances that someone could be taken by this scam. That way everyone is safer whether or not they take all the precautions before the sale.
  4. jeskola pheerie

5. Waring_McMarrin Augur

People are saying that they want a warning if the price is different then what they searched for but the system doesn't really provide any way to do that. The simple solution to this very well known problem is to just verify the price before you make your transaction. This also helps prevent issues if you just misread the price in the search window initially.

And I think it would be great if they limited how often someone could change the price on something but even then it would still be possible to get hit by this. There is only so much they can do to prevent someone from changing the price after you see it in the search screen and when you go to make the actual transaction.
  6. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I think there is a difference between every scam and this one which is changing the price of an item by removing a zero.
  7. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I am pretty sure this is already the case and they are changing it before the person can open the purchase window.
  8. Waring_McMarrin Augur

That is something different as you can't fake an item like that in EQ and it is just altering the price they are buying it for and can be caught by checking the price before you do the transaction.
  9. Waring_McMarrin Augur

I don't think there is an easy change to stop this just can limit how often it can occur. Best things I can see happening is add in comma separators to make it easier to see the correct price and limit how often you can change your listing prices.
  10. Siah Elder

Scams come in many different shapes and forms.

Setting one price then immediately changing it(to a very similar number) to deceive people is a scam. I'm not saying people shouldn't check the prices prior to buying or selling in the bazaar, they absolutely should and some of the fault is definitely on them. However, it doesn't make it any less of a scam.
    scam
    verb

scammed; scamming; scams
    Definition of scam (Entry 2 of 2)
    transitive verb
    1: to deceive and defraud (someone)
    2: to obtain (something, such as money) by a scam
  11. Hdizzle Augur

Fascinating thread..

Just don't /barter krono things?
  12. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Theft by deception is still theft. Also, the specific behavior of trying to game people by changing prices quickly is actually something they can specifically suspend you for.

Buyer beware, but don't be dumb about this, it is an attempt to scam people.
    HoodenShuklak likes this.
  13. Arclyte Augur

People defending automated bots that are scamming krono are hilarious.

Some of you really have no sense of right and wrong. Just a bunch of contrarian forum clowns.
    HoodenShuklak and Catalina like this.
  14. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Or just pointing out that players can defend themselves from this by spending a few extra seconds to confirm the price.
  15. HoodenShuklak Augur

It's the fact that it is automated by a program that makes this egregious. If there was a player sitting on their computer 24/7 trying this you'd say it was bad behavior and should be patched out somehow (commas for example, confirmation boxes when using a barter). But with automation it's now something that is actually prohibited as per the TLP terms, except maybe on the boxing tlp.
  16. Magician9001 Augur

You already have to leave /buyer to change the price.
  17. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Sure it would be nice if there was more tools in place to prevent people from doing this but that does not change the fact that by paying a little closer attention to the price it can be prevented.
  18. a_librarian Augur

Why do you continue to repeat 'just don't fall for it' like you are making a point? You are saying nothing and contributing nothing here. Just stop already
    Arclyte, Vindar, Doze and 1 other person like this.
  19. Corydon Augur

Not a scam. Just an attempt at luring stupid people into paying too much.
    It would be a scam if the krono turned out to not be a krono. But you will get a krono in this trade.

Just pay attention on the numbers before you hit that button.
    You do the same when you pay on the web with PayPal.
    You do the same when you pay the bill in the restaurant (check what's listed).
    You do the same when you get your paycheck.

People are stupid and lazy and keep demanding regulations all the time and then at the same time complain about freedom that is taken away from them.

The solution is to open your eyes and pay attention when there is something to win/lose.

As mentioned, I am all for making things easier like having decimal separators, but in the end that will not save you if you don't pay attention.

Having that said, those scumbacks trying to trick people can go to hell.
  20. Arclyte Augur

When there is real money involved, you as a company can't stay silent while dirtbag botters are scamming people.

Yes, this can be avoided if you read these forums regularly and prepare for it, but that is not enough when it comes to Krono.

People around here hate how TLP servers start to lose population after 5 expansions or so. Well, this is a great way to kill someone's desire to play this game.