Justifying a warrior vs a sk on live.

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by lucienne, Mar 4, 2021.

1. lucienne New Member

Hello everybody. Doing a tabk centric 3 box which will definitely include a bard and shaman. Ive toed this with both SK and Warrior around level 90 and Sk seems a lot easier

. Does the warrior aoe aggro get better? It was very frustrating trying to grab all the multiples with WAR vs. SK.

-which tank with this support would be better for nowing down large groups of lower level mobs later on for farming?

-Would warrior gear be a lot easier to get my hands on? (FV).

- Would an SK ultimately take me further?

-Is warrior dual weild tanking mostly always viable?

-Would the warrior make it easier to box so I could realllu get more potential out of the bard?

-True warriors are more dps?

-Which tank is better for hard missions ans named?

Thanks everyone!
    ForeverQuestPodcast likes this.
  2. Flatchy Court Jester

I have been boxing for longer than a decade and I have never made a warrior. Not seen a group mob I could not handle yet. I find the self healing the SK does to be a great benefit. Get your 2.0 and its even better yet, best clickie in the game hands down.

When I box I pull with SK , dott the hell out of the mob and then alt tab to my other toons and usually dont go back to the SK till mob is dead. (That is on reg trash not nameds) I dont seem to have a prob holding aggro and I do not mem terrors.
    Skewert likes this.
  3. Warpeace Augur

Roll the SK and don't look back.
  4. Vumad Cape Wearer

I haven't ever played a tank but I have boxed ENC / CLR for a long time. In group content, gear for gear, AA for AA, I prefer SK / PAL then War. SKs are the easiest to heal in group content and Pally's second. Warriors are the hardest to heal.

Group heals are not as effective as single target spam heals. For regular trash mobs it is all the same, but for AEs and multiples the knights out perform the warriors. The SK can take care of itself while I am taking care of the group, or the pally can take care of the group while I am taking care of the pally.

The warrior can tank the best and are very necessary for raid content, which is where they shine. But for group content the knights have more tools and are more diverse. Knights catch the gap that boxing causes (like a dead cleric or loose aggro).

Also, I run a live parse almost all the time. SK > WAR > PAL on DPS, especially when bursting (except on undead). The SK burst DPS on a named, especially when harm touch is up, is big.
  5. p2aa Augur

Nope it won't get better. SK are largely better than warriors, especially in the frequency of the AE aggro they can deal.

SK, add to the fact that SK can solo much better than a warrior.

Tank gear is the same roughly, i dont think it's harder to gear a SK than a warrior.

DW tanking is viable if you are enough well geared and enough AA and other stuff, on trash mob, it depends of the healing output you have. I read on these boards that the war is easier to box than a SK, but it would be the only advantage of war VS SK

No, with similar ADPS power in group, warriors don't do more DPS than SK.

Both will do well, warrior has probably better rough mitigation tool, but the SK compensates largely with his insane self healing tools. You will spend less time healing your SK than your warrior.

Overall, SK wins in group content without a doubt. A SK will take you further.
  6. Qimble Augur

For group level content:
    SK >>>>>>>>>>> Pal > War

The gear significantly overlaps so none should be much harder or easier than the others.
  7. lucienne New Member

Would you guys say then, now that the SK is set - is Shaman Bard the best compliment full stop? Or would you have other recommendations?
  8. Tatanka Joe Schmo

For me, it's SK, DRU, MAG.

Mostly because I had the Druid and Mage first, and the SK was a replacement because not having a tank sucks. But, Druid = ports and evac, Mage has CotH and pet toys. Both ports and CotH come in very handy when you box, especially if you're not the "sit in one place for hours, pulling to camp" type, like me.

But, "best"? Hard to say. There's more than one set of criteria, so I don't think there's any one answer to the question.
  9. lucienne New Member

Tatanka, does that get you pretty far without needing CC?
  10. Vumad Cape Wearer

Depends on how you want to play. That is a very powerful combination if you enjoy boxing them together. I am ENC, MAG, CLR because of the way I like to play. ENC is my raiding main, Mage pet is automated tank and CLR is a legacy box that is a raid alternate. For me, CLR because of how long I have had her, otherwise if starting new I suggest DRU. I know SK is better than MAG but I like to enjoy my ENC so the MAG is less work plus I prefer to find a PC tank so again mage is better also CoH is a QoL I don't want to give up while boxing. My point is that SK, BRD, SHM is great synergy, but if you would more enjoy War, Wiz, BST then do that.

So in short, if synergy is all that matters, then yes, SK, BRD, SHM. Beyond that is a personal choice and that is worth some consideration on your part, which we can't answer.
  11. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Interestingly, the char which was replaced by the SK was a chanter.

Important note: I'm a bad boxer, and a scrub of a player in general, and perpetually way behind the curve for expansions. So, my comments apply to me, and others who are experts (Tucoh, etc) may have very different opinions.

When I ran the Dru/Enc/Mag, I of course had to use a merc tank. They are meh, so CC was a must. I just wasn't that good at CC, so always wound up in trouble. Since swapping to the SK, I just tank everything, and don't worry about CC at all, and so far, it's working pretty well. If I'm in a situation where I'd like to pull fewer, I'll use the Druid's calm spell. There are other tricks I could do (snare/evac with druid, FD tricks with the SK, etc), but haven't needed to, so haven't practiced any of those.

As to your exact question "does it get me pretty far", that's for you to judge. I've not taken my group past EoK yet, except for one very short trip to ToV just to see if I could hack it. Went when they were 111, and through stupidity on my part, wound up fighting two mobs at once. Survived, and killed both mobs, though the SK came pretty close to dying a couple times. Though, that was with just the merc healing, since the druid was out of range, due to said stupidity, LOL! Like I said, I'm a scrub ;)
  12. Flatchy Court Jester

There is not a whole lot an sk cannot single pull so CC is not really needed. I box SK, Wiz and Shaman if im not alone I got a mage with me, otherwise its those 3 , 2 melee mercs and one healer merc.
  13. Filter Augur

Personally I enjoy my war, bard, shm. However I main my bezerker while raiding but in box group I'm always on my war. On all pulls (named or trash) I hit my mash key once, hit my discs and jump to slowing/dotting with shammy, bard is auto attacking or pulling if there are a potential for adds, and smashing my zerker to out put dps. I never go back to war which for the longest time he was group geared until recently he has half raid gear from ToV. I almost exclusively get heals from healer mercs.

They are right that SK is a great group game toon but I suck at boxing so I like extremely simple. War/sham/bard there isn't anything you couldn't do and if you added another dps make sure it's a melee class since thats how you are built with this setup.

I think I might do an sk if I were going to main him but only if but thats my preference.

Good luck with whatever you do!
    Skewert and Flatchy like this.